Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

debmidge

My Diagnosis

Many of you know me for years but I've been very ill this summer. The symptoms really started in January 07 and ended in me having my gallbladder removed in August. I have had diarrhea since July 21 to present. I have lost 20 lbs since July.

I went to gastro yesterday and had a colonoscopy and he didn't find any polyps, nor Chrone's nor Ulcerative colitis. His conclusion is that I have IBS along with the diarrhea someone gets after the gallbladder is removed - these two conditions became worsened in me.

Now one of the handouts he gave to me explains IBS -- BUT it also mentions that celiac can mimic IBS and that a special blood test should be run. Also that those with IBS may get reaction from wheat, rye and barley...

During a recent pelvic sonogram my gyno discovered that my bowel was spasming during the test - she showed it to me on the monitor - it was moving rapidly. So I know I have a spastic colon (IBS). When I see the gastro in two weeks I'll mention celiac and see what he says.

I thank Judy and Patti and all those who have been praying for me over these past few months.

Grrrr... I hate when docs "diagnose" IBS. It is a symptom, not a disease! I hope that your gastro is one of the good ones who will actually listen to you. Since you've got two weeks, start a food journal and a record of your symptoms now. It may help you convince your doc, especially if you try to stay away from the other foods that they commonly tell IBS sufferers to avoid. Good luck!

Deb--

It's good to hear that you're getting some answers. At least a lot of scary stuff has been ruled out. ;)

Did you ever mention Habba Syndrome to this doctor? I'm sure you have, but I still wonder....with the gallbladder removal and everything. There has to be some underlying reason for this.

Thanks for updating us on you :)

Deb,

I am not sure whether this has been brought up or not (perhaps yes?). Since your husbands diagnosis, I assume that you have been cooking gluten free for the most part. Could it be that you have developed an intolerance to gluten yourself through eliminating it from your diet?

Just a thought and I do hope that you get some answers soon.