This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Deviated Septum- Nose Job? Opinions? Insurance?

tiffjake

tiffjake Enthusiast

I have a deviated septum. My right nostril has been smaller than my left for my whole life. It wasn't that much of a problem unless I had a cold and was trying to breathe out of that one smaller nostril. Well, I just moved to a much higher altitude, and I am having trouble breathing. And if I just puch my nose to the right (opening that nostril more) it is easier to breathe. So I am thinking about having it fixed....but will insurance pay for it? Since it is "medically" necessary, and not cosmetic? Anyone have any experience with this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I actually have a deviated septum and large pollups (sp?) in both nostrils. Basically I barely breathe out of my nose at all, which like you said, isn't that big a deal because well, that's how it's always been, but during the winter it does bother my sinuses a lot.

Anywhoo, a couple years ago I looked into getting it fixed and figured I'd get a nose job while I was at it. My insurance would have covered the pollups and deviated septum but not the nose job as that is optional cosmetic surgery. I opted not to do it because I figure if I am going to have to go through basically the procedure of a nose job (breaking your nose, etc.), I want to have a nice pretty nose at the end of it. LOL!! But just the other day I was thinking, maybe I will get it done and forego the cosmetic part because the few cool days we've had already I can tell it's gonna be a miserable winter on my sinuses. Also, the doctor I went to said if I changed the plan I had with my insurance, they could probably get most of the cosmetic part put through.

Long story shot, I think it probably depends on your insurance and specifically what plan you have within your insurance company. I would call them, or go to some doctors and check it out.

Kelli Newbie

I've had the deviated septum correction surgery....it's well worth it. I felt no pain after the procedure. The only thing was that they put a long splint up your nose to help during healing. They stitch in in but you can't feel it. I can breath so much better than I ever could. When after a week I went in to have a post-op appt., they removed the splint. That didn't hurt but it was ungodly long and I couldn't figure out why the thing didn't penetrate my brain!!!I highly recommend it. Why wait? THe outcomes are so much better after you do it. PAinless is they key. Sometimes, depending on bleeding, they will put packing up your nose-that you may be able to see. Incisions are all on the inside and heal very quick since it's cartilage. Get it done.

tiffjake Enthusiast

Thank you both very much! I will contact my insurance. I am having a hard time breathing here, and I wonder how much of it is due to my nose....

darlindeb25 Collaborator

This is weird, I never thought much about noses and 3 weeks ago I had my first visit with an ENT for tinnitus. I have a field of cicadas in my ears and he did a full exam, which indicates he can find no reason for the tinnitus--probably deficiency related, where have we heard that before? Anyways--in this exam, he found my septum to have a hole in it. He said that usually this is only found in heavy drug users and sometimes smokers, which I have never done either. He suspects an autoimmune issue or at least a connection in some way to all these other issues of mine. My blood work came back good, last Friday I had a CT scan of my sinuses, which I have not heard from yet. I'm sure the results will not be good, the doc I work for caused an allergic reaction mixing Glade Carpet Fresh and Resolve at work the Wednesday night before the CT scan which took me an entire week to get over. Yet, maybe this will show something to the ENT--who knows!

Idiote Savante Goddess Rookie

I have a deviated septum and my doc says my nose is pretty much just decorative -- he said I could get a sort of internal Breathe-Right strip which would keep it open -- less drastic than a nose job and that it would help. At the time, my insurance wouldn't cover it, so I didn't go for it, but boy, if I get insurance that will, I'll do it.

Archived