Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

texasgal

I'm New And Just Not Getting It Right!

I'm new to this site and could use some help. You all seem to be so willing and friendly so I thought I would ask. I'll make it short. Been on the diet for almost a year and maybe I got a little too relaxed or maybe it was simply cross contamination but the last 4 days I was soooo ill. The body aches - oh my God - and migraine headaches, nothing helps. I feel better today but this last episode I thought I was literally dying. All I ate was a corn tortilla with beef, salsa and black beans at a restaurant and by that afternoon I was full blown glutened. This is not the first time in the last year this has happened and I think I'm being careful and then wham - I'm sick again. Did I mention how bad the body aches are????? Fortunately I have no other food allergies so I know it was gluten. Anyway, I guess I'm feeling a little defeated today. Probably not my best day.

The thing that jumps out at me is you ate at a restaurant. Restaurants are very risky so I would avoid those, especially if you're not feeling well. Give you body some time to heal which you eat guaranteed gluten-free meals at home. I tend to eat out more than most celiacs, but if I've been glutened, I ban myself from restaurants until I heal.

The thing that jumps out at me is you ate at a restaurant. Restaurants are very risky so I would avoid those, especially if you're not feeling well. Give you body some time to heal which you eat guaranteed gluten-free meals at home. I tend to eat out more than most celiacs, but if I've been glutened, I ban myself from restaurants until I heal.

Thanks. Will do.

It could very well be cross-contamination. I get really sick from just a little CC. When I do feel limited I focus on what other good things are in my life and what I CAN do. Sorry you feel so unwell. ((HUG)) This disease can be really debilitating. Do your best to take extra good care of yourself and don't make any important changes or decisions until you feel better.

It could very well be cross-contamination. I get really sick from just a little CC. When I do feel limited I focus on what other good things are in my life and what I CAN do. Sorry you feel so unwell. ((HUG)) This disease can be really debilitating. Do your best to take extra good care of yourself and don't make any important changes or decisions until you feel better.

Good Advice. Thanks.

When you do venture back out to a restaurant, make sure you tell the server that the MUST tell the cook that you have food allergies and your food has to be cooked separately. Even if you are ordering something "safe", they could plop your corn tortilla right on the spot where a flour tortilla was, and you end up sick.

Actually, I usually say "severe allergies" because it gets their attention. I know people who say "gluten intolerance" instead of allergy but I think most people think of an intolerance as being less of a problem than allergy. I figure that when I'm at a restaurant, I'm not there to educate, I'm there to eat! :D

I agree. Definitely say "severe food allergy". I know for me it helps get their attention, and they are way more helpful to adapt to my needs. If I say "gluten intolerance" they usually don't know what the heck I am talking about and therefore, blow it off as not a big deal. Even if after I say "severe food allegy" and they have that deer in a head lights look, I will use the words, "deathly ill" to reiiterate that I am being absolutely serious. And I am not lying b/c sometimes when we are glutened, we swear we are dying and sometimes would rather just die than feel as miserable as we are feeling.

cross contamination from the tortilla?

sauce to marinate the beef in?

filler/flavor in the beans?

filler in the spices?

other contamination in the kitchen?

there are a number of potential sources - ditto on avoiding restaurants until healthy, and then being very clear on the need to not contaminate your food when you're willing to take the risk again.

You're right. I need to be a little more aggressive when I order. Sometimes I have said I have can't eat flour and then they think I'm on the Adkins Diet .... thanks.

cross contamination from the tortilla?

sauce to marinate the beef in?

filler/flavor in the beans?

filler in the spices?

other contamination in the kitchen?

there are a number of potential sources - ditto on avoiding restaurants until healthy, and then being very clear on the need to not contaminate your food when you're willing to take the risk again.

Wow so many choose from. It could have been anything. I know one thing for sure, I won't be eating at that restaurant again. And I'll certainly work on being more clear when ordering. Thanks.

I agree. Definitely say "severe food allergy". I know for me it helps get their attention, and they are way more helpful to adapt to my needs. If I say "gluten intolerance" they usually don't know what the heck I am talking about and therefore, blow it off as not a big deal. Even if after I say "severe food allegy" and they have that deer in a head lights look, I will use the words, "deathly ill" to reiiterate that I am being absolutely serious. And I am not lying b/c sometimes when we are glutened, we swear we are dying and sometimes would rather just die than feel as miserable as we are feeling.

"Severe food allergies" yes, I'll use that term and when I think of the last 4 days, I'll have no problem at all using "deathly ill". Thank the Lord, it is passing. I appreciate your comments.