Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ab123

What Happened To My Bread?

Ok, so I decided to try out the Whole Food's brand (365) of sandwich bread. I put all the ingredients in, set it to the right settings and left my bread there while I went to a meeting. I came back and when it was done, I went to take it out and it had overflowed over the bread machine pan! To top that off, it totally caved in in the middle. what happened? The bread machine I used was Toastmaster Bread Box.

PS- besides the big mess that the loaf of bread was, it tasted fantastic!!

I would be wondering about the size of the loaf pan, too. Can it make a 2-pound loaf? Anything smaller probably would not have enough capacity for a packaged mix. It also sounds like it could have been too much water. Does that bread machine have a gluten-free setting? What is the rise time?

It was a 2 pound loaf and that is what my bread machine is. There isnt a gluten free settings...this machine is a little older. How do you change the rise time/what should the rise time be? That could be the problem!

It was a 2 pound loaf and that is what my bread machine is. There isnt a gluten free settings...this machine is a little older. How do you change the rise time/what should the rise time be? That could be the problem!

Is your machine programmable? gluten-free bread only needs one rise. It does not need to be punched down and rise again like gluten bread. To increase the chance of success, it would be great if you could eliminate the second rise. That can definitely impact the end product. I would check out your machine's manual to see if you can do that.

Secondly, gluten-free bread won't form into a ball and roll around the pan like gluten bread will. Many bread machines only have one paddle, which won't adequately mix our batter-like bread. The machines that tend to work the best are the ones that have 2 paddles and the horizontal loaf pan. How many paddles does your machine have, and is it a tall bread pan or a wide one?