Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hapy4dolphins

3 Yr Old Son

HI,

I tested through Enterlab about a year 1/2 ago. I have two copies of either DQ1 or DQ3 not subtype 8. Now my daughter is surely celiac, she's 8 and doing better.

Now, my 3 year old son is having major bowel issues since at least last Christmas time. It's not coming out and he has gone as long as 2 weeks. I took him to the peds. doc, they gave him Lactulose and that worked for about 3 weeks. Now he's on Maralax and he's still going 4 plus days longer without a bw. Is this also a sign of Celiac? (My Daughter and I couldn't stop the diareah, but this seems to be the direct opposite.)

Nicole

Yes, constipation can also be a sign of celiac disease. But it is also one of the major symptoms of a dairy intolerance (not just lactose, but casein intolerance, meaning all dairy).

I would take him off both gluten and dairy for at least a couple of weeks to see if he feels better, and then challenge one at a time, at least one week apart, to see what happens, and if one of those (or both, which is very likely) is the culprit.