This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Art Projects At Preschool

Guhlia

Guhlia Rising Star

For those of you with non-Celiac children and Celiac parents... What do you do when your child brings home an art project that contains gluten? I was emptying my daughter's school bag yesterday and reached right into a lovely macaroni picture. It totally freaked me out because I literally haven't touched gluten in over 2 years. It made my skin crawl. I put a paper envelope in her bag with a note on it for the teachers explaining Celiac and asking them to put future projects in the envelope (so DH can open it). Do you think that's enough?

Also, how do you handle that emotionally? I'd really like to be able to save all her pretty artwork, but I am NOT allowing gluten in the house, not even on a picture. If I had DH spray varnish it would that "seal in" the gluten? I know it seems like I'm being really paranoid, but I'm just not comfortable with the idea of having any gluten at all in the house, even if its just paint or something on artwork that Tori brings home.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Piccolo Apprentice

Angie,

Why not take a photo of the art work? That is what I did with my son. That way you will still have it and it won't disinegrate.

Susan

scotty Explorer

i think you would be ok as long as you don't eat them...i live with the old folks and they are glutenaholics, cookies here, pizza there, pb & j crumbs everywhere, and i have been only free of the stuff for 6 months, so i am real sensitive; and i move around gluten all the time with my hands--out of my way!! but the only time i get reactions is when i eat it somehow. and i know full well was not from the debris; got my own pans and rags and such...i think a real key would be keeping your hands and stuff clean handling. it wouldn't hurt to seal it though somehow i bet

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I think the varnish is a good idea.

Darn210 Enthusiast

I think the picture is a good idea . . . because you can't save everything. They just bring home way too much stuff.

Also - if they can tell you ahead of time when they are going to do a macaroni project - you might be able to send in your own gluten-free pasta for your daughter to work with.

kbtoyssni Contributor

I third the picture idea. Pasta art isn't going to last forever anyway so this is the best way to save it "forever".

Guhlia Rising Star

I will definitely take a picture of it. That's a great idea. Do you think spray varnish would work too though? They're making the alphabet and I want to hang them up as a border in Tori's room. M was for macaroni. I would be willing to have the gluten in my house if it were sealed in... I'm just not willing to take the risk otherwise. Think it would work?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nikki'smom Apprentice

Very cute idea to hang it up in her room BUt why chance any episodes? I am not sure if you ahve older children but keep in mind they will bring home TONS of art work you will love but you can't keep them all so you ahve to pick and choose and frankly something that can possible make you sick isn't one of them.

I love the picture idea.

I think the note to the school about Celiac is a great idea. Maybe they can even take a picture for you and send it home and this way it doesn't come into your house at all?

confused Community Regular

i never ever thopught about art work that has gluten, Now im wondering some stuff now. Last week one of my kids brought home stuff made out of animal crackers, and i opened his back pack like i always do and looked at it and put it up. I was sick afterwards but i never thought about the art work. The thing is his teacher is celiac also, so i wonder how she deals with this stuff, I need to talk to her when she gets back.

Thanks for bringing this up, i would have never made an connection. I also just look at any project they do and not think twice about it.

I think im going to start the picture thing, cause i have a pre-k, k, and 1st grade kid and omg we have more art projects then we know what to do with. I get at least 25 papers an day sent home, some with marker, paint, food and what not.

paula

Archived