Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mountaineer Josh

Cheba Brand Calzone

Last night I made a calzone with the Brazilian brand Chebe bread. Wow! It had the tecture and chewiness of a real calzone. Just follow the recipe for the bread but take a rolling pin and flatten it as much as you can and then fill it up with cheese, sauce, and pepperoni. Good stuff!

Last night I made a calzone with the Brazilian brand Chebe bread. Wow! It had the tecture and chewiness of a real calzone. Just follow the recipe for the bread but take a rolling pin and flatten it as much as you can and then fill it up with cheese, sauce, and pepperoni. Good stuff!

I had that for dinner two nights ago! I love that stuff! I'm going to try recreating the mix with just tapioca flour at home, I need to start cutting back on my food budget....

I had that for dinner two nights ago! I love that stuff! I'm going to try recreating the mix with just tapioca flour at home, I need to start cutting back on my food budget....

I haven't had much luck recreating chebe from scratch. If you do come up with a recipe I'd love to hear about it.

I have been ordering the "No Frills" Chebe mix. It is the chebe mix in bulk instead of the individual packages. You have to measure it out, but that only takes a second and it is about half the price of the packages. If you are interested, here is the link to the ordering page. You have to scroll all the way down to the bottom to see the "no frills" options. We love chebe, and I get to use it a lot more often when I am not worrying about it bankrupting us. :)

We tried the Chebe pizza mix. Not so much. <_<

Although, I need to add the differential that my cooking skills aren't the greatest.

For pizza crust, we like namaste pizza crust. A bag makes two 13 x9 pans of pizza.

Thanks for the calzone tip though I'll have to try it.

For pizza crust, we like namaste pizza crust. A bag makes two 13 x9 pans of pizza.

I'll have to try that next. I miss pizza! I feel so bad having regular pizza when I know my DD can't. There's a gluten-free bakery who makes the most delightful gluten-free crust (sells it to local restaurants too) but it is WAY across town from me. I might just have to make the trek!

4 7" premade pizza crusts for $6.00!! Can't beat that! But it takes more than $6 in gas to drive there!

Here's a great crust that we make. I usually double it to make 2 large pizzas for my family of 5.

Pizza Dough

1 Tbsp yeast

2/3 c warm water -- plus 1 Tbsp

1 1/4 c rice flour

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 c tapioca starch

1/4 c potato starch

1 tsp xanthan gum

1/8 c sugar

1 egg

1 1/2 Tbsps corn oil

1 tsp cider vinegar

Proof yeast in warm water with a pinch of sugar. Combine dry ingredients.

Add eggs, oil, vinegar and then proofed yeast. Beat on high speed for 3

minutes. Dough will be sticky and wet, more like cookie dough. Turn out

onto board dusted lightly with potato starch. Coat dough just enough so

it doesn't stick to hands. Do not knead or add too much starch that will

make dough too heavy to rise, the moister the better. Line cookie pan or

pizza pan with parchment paper. Gently pat out dough to desired thickness,

just barely coating hands as needed. Cover with saran and let rise one

hour. Bake 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes after you add desired toppings.

Will just barely brown. Makes 1 large or 4 individual pizzas (kid's size)

**I don't use parchment, but I do spray the pan and then sprinkle with cornmeal.

I make calzones with the Chebe pizza mix all the time...honestly if it's cooked right, I don't know how everyone doesn't like it!! I was shocked to see so many negative comments about Chebe (on other threads)...it takes a good trial to see just how much liquid to put in and everything to make it come out great!!

I agree, the Namaste brand crust is the best I've had to date. The chebe pizza isn't nearly as good as cooking it as a calzone. Not sure why.

I love my chebe bread but since I started dieting and finally realized how many calories are in each bag and I eat them in two sittings (bread or rolls, two different days, pizza I eat half at a time), I have been staying away but I have been really craving it for a few weeks now. I think I will give in this weekend and treat myself.