Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anyone point me to a place where I can clip coupons for gluten-free foods, or regular food that supports a gluten-free diet?

I started this diet a week ago and I'm floored by the amount of money the food is costing me.

I'm also making a list of all the other stuff I have to buy in order to create a safe kitchen. Colander, mixing spoons, toaster... the list is growing each day.

Any money-saving tips are also GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you,

Jenn

Jenn,

I would suggest trying to stick to plain foods such as meats, veggies, fruits, etc. These are really cheap. You can also maybe ask NoGluGirl for a list of mainstream products that are gluten free. If you try not to buy gluten free replacements (cookies, etc.) you will save A LOT of money. We stopped buying these kinds of things, and it has saved a lot of money. Also, do you have a Trader Joe's near you? They have great stuff. We buy almost all our produce, meats, fruits, etc. there and save a lot more money than whole foods. They also have a few naturally gluten free cookies, they have waffles, etc. There is a link on their website with a list of their gluten free foods. Hope this helps.

Kassandra

Can anyone point me to a place where I can clip coupons for gluten-free foods, or regular food that supports a gluten-free diet?

I started this diet a week ago and I'm floored by the amount of money it's costing me. For instance, I went to Whole Foods and bought two things for $10! Waffles that look like eggos and a pizza. They were both great, but lasted only a day. Well, I still have a few eggos, but you get the picture.

I'm also making a list of all the other stuff I have to buy in order to create a safe kitchen. Colander, mixing spoons, toaster... the list is growing each day and my bank account seems to be decreasing at an unbalanced rate. How that happens, I'm not sure yet.

Thank you,

Jenn

Hi Jenn,

The Whole Foods by me has booklets hung up around the store that have coupons in them. I think they also take manufacturer coupons. And, I don't know if they do this anymore, but they used to give you money back for every plastic bag you brought in from home (saving them from using a new one). It's not a lot of money but every bit counts.

As for money saving tips - I buy all my food at Whole Foods and all of my household items at BJ's (like Costco). I found that Whole Foods by me is cheaper than the major grocery chains especially Stop and Shop. There are sites like Momsview.com, spoofee.com, retailmenot.com and deLame Advertisementcher.com that have coupons on them. Many of the home stores have coupons on there. This might help with all the replacement items you need.

Beth

I agree, the less "replacements"you buy, the cheaper. I have been shopping like this now for 3 weeks and do alot at Cub Foods for cerea, noodles, and milk in their organic section and will get pretzels or cookies just to tide me over in a chocolate/sweets frenzy. I would invest in a bread machine and the cost of that will go way down. There is a variety of flours you can use in them. (and you get to be creative too) Remembering that you can still eat whatever anyone else does (just with different ingredients) helps alot. Don't get discouraged. You can eat meats, veggies, fruits, etc. as always. I think when people get frazzled while grocery shopping (like I did) it's because you're trying to find that fattening, no good for you, junk food that you used to eat. I had to ask myself if I really wanted to pay more money to replace the junk food that I can now easily give up. I've done alot of research as well online for certain sauces. Lea and Perrins Worcestire sauce is gluten free and Smart Balance mayo you may be able to handle and it's right next to the regular stuff! Just today I found Gluten and wheat free soy sauce! It was the highlight of my day. I bought organic ketchup and also made my own BBQ sauce although today I found that too! If you haven't already I would try the black bean and rice chips if you have a craving. If I could, I would never go back to regular chips after trying those. Amy's organic pizzas etc. often will have coupons that I see in the Star Tribune or at stores on reciepts after you buy one. Her t.v. dinners are great for an at work rush lunch and they make pizza with rice flour. THey are also clearly marked Gluten-free. I bought some of their chili today!

What I'd like to know is if anyone has seen croutons around?

Hi Jenn,

You can find coupons by googleing "discount coupons" within quotations. My favorite one is www.retailmenot.com. Once in a while you'll get coupons from natural stores like the one I found where I buy my herbal supplements and a natural drink based on purple corn. Those guys always have good prices and discounts. Hope it helps.

Sebu

I started this diet a week ago and I'm floored by the amount of money the food is costing me.

I'm also making a list of all the other stuff I have to buy in order to create a safe kitchen. Colander, mixing spoons, toaster... the list is growing each day.

Thank you,

Jenn