Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bread Belly

Beers Other Than Redbridge?

Redbridge is fairly solid but some variety would be nice every now and again. I had a Beer called Bard's Tale: Dragon's Gold a while back which was also made from sorghum. Are there any other beers I can get at my distibutor which are good? Or a site online?

Redbridge is fairly solid but some variety would be nice every now and again. I had a Beer called Bard's Tale: Dragon's Gold a while back which was also made from sorghum. Are there any other beers I can get at my distibutor which are good? Or a site online?

Unfortunately, the selection is slim. Bard's, New Grist and Redbridge are the current beers available. A year ago there were none, so we are pleased to have those. Perhaps next year will render some more surprises.

Grist beer is pretty good and fairly easy to find (dist. out of Wis.) but I think Redbridge is better. Rampona Valley out of NY also has a gluten-free beer that tastes like a honey lager.

For any Canadians...We were told by my brother who saw a commercial that Budweiser was making a gluten-free beer. We checked our specialty liquor store but so far haven't seen this anywhere.

For any Canadians...We were told by my brother who saw a commercial that Budweiser was making a gluten-free beer. We checked our specialty liquor store but so far haven't seen this anywhere.

That's Redbridge.

I think people have to try all they can find and see what they prefer. Some really like New Grist, for instance, but I think it lacks flavor and is rather watery. (But then I don't like most American beers, thinking them lacking in flavor and watery :rolleyes: ) I guess I would drink it if it was a hot day and nothing else was around, but that's it.

Bard's has a different sort of flavor. But it is twice as expensive as Redbridge for me and I'm not sure I like it any better.

But like I said, tastes vary.

As far as I know, the only gluten-free beer available in Canada is La Messagere, made in Quebec. Here in Ontario is is stocked at selected LCBO outlets, but if your local store does not carry it they can order it for you. $17.95 for a 6-pack. It's decent, but it can't quite replace Guiness.

A couple days ago a friend of my roommates was over drinking some beers and I mentioned how I'm celiac and can't drink beer. He said he has a good friend how is also celiac and that he drinks Budweiser because it is made of rice. Now I'm pretty sure that it is not safe but apparently this guy gets pretty sick if he has any gluten but he can drink a case of it and not have any reactions. Am I getting my hopes up? Can we really drink Budweiser?

PS. I'm in Canada, do they make the beer differently here than in the US?

Julie

As far as I know, the only gluten-free beer available in Canada is La Messagere, made in Quebec. Here in Ontario is is stocked at selected LCBO outlets, but if your local store does not carry it they can order it for you. $17.95 for a 6-pack. It's decent, but it can't quite replace Guiness.

The beer your roomates friend mentioned is Redbridge...made by Budweiser. It is made w/ Sorghum. Even if it was made of rice it would be safe. So yes you can drink Budweisers RedBridge.