Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have been having a really hard time digesting nuts and sunflower seeds. I get really bloated and tired if i eat a bunch of nuts/sunflower seeds. Why cant i digest these foods. I have been gluten free for 9 months and i thought if my gut has healed these fatty nuts shouldnt be a problem. What do you think? Will my body get better at digesting these fats if i keep eating them. Also has anyone else had a problem with eating Ruffles regular potato chips. Maybe its just the fat content giving me issues. I cant even eat a LARA Bar without feeling like crap.

well, I cannot eat potato chips, but seems like I remember someone saying that they got a reaction from Ruffles/ Do they have canola oil in them? I also cannot tolerate canola oil.

9 months, mmm what is a sample of your daily diet? are you sure you are healed yet? How long were you sick?

Have you tried the nut butters, like almond butter, cashew butter...

I also cannot eat Lara Bars - I do not know what they put in them - but it has to be something not on the label. Because I can eat all nuts & dates etc etc...

I just keep fresh dates on hand & nuts & dried fruit - & forget the "bars"

It may take more than nine months for your gut to heal.

If you are having problems digesting something, I don't think it is going to get better if you just continue eating the thing giving you problems. That is your body giving you a clue that something is wrong.

It could be you are sensitive to fat or your gut isn't up to dealing with it yet. Do you react to all fatty foods or just some? How fatty has your diet been in the last 9 months?

I would suggest that it might be a sodium problem, but you mention Lara Bars. I'm pretty sensitive to fat but I can handle them & they don't have lots of sodium (unlike the other things you mention, assuming that the nuts you tried to eat were salted). I only have them rarely, though, and on days when I haven't had any other source of fat (other than the little natural bits in plant foods).

What kind of oil is used with Ruffles? That might be a clue.

I have had bad reactions to nuts before, but attributed it to cross-contamination. The package had a "made on the same machinery" warning on it. Remember that warnings like that are voluntary; so you can't assume there isn't a CC problem just because there is no warning like that.