Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vykt0r

Brown Rice Contamination

Is it possible for brown rice to be contaminated in being processed? It seems to me that every time I eat brown rice, my mouth gets slightly sore and later on I'm ravenously hungry. I also get some gastrointestinal problems. It certainly doesn't happen when I eat white rice, though. Obviously there is less chance of white rice being contaminated since it's polished after being milled, which is essentially cleaning it.

Has anything like this happened to you guys?

This really irks me...a lot...

depends on the plant it's processed in. it may be possible, but it's highly unlikely. you can try rinsing the rice first. you may find that you have issues with the bran, or a mild allergy to rice that allows you to have white rice (where the bran and germ have been removed) but not brown. if rinsing and switching brands (including calling companies to find out their production line setup) makes no difference, then I'd assume it'd be an issue you have with rice itself.

(*this assumes that there is absolutely no different - down to the pot and utensils - in how you cook/prepare the brown and white rices you are comparing)

Yeah, but they're the same symptoms I get when I eat bread, for example, except that they're much more subtle. Also, I live in Chile where celiac awareness is much less. Oh, and, as I said, white rice doesn't affect me.

I am intolerant to all lectins, some more and some less. Rice will effect me almost the same way that gluten does, especially the brown rice. So, I suspect that maybe you simply can't tolerate the rice and it has nothing to do with cc at all.

I was eating lunch once a week or more at Pei Wei & was always getting the brown rice. I kept asking them if they were sure they cooked my veggies in plain water etc & they kept assuring me that they did... Well I finally figured out it was the brown rice. So I have had to cut out rice altogether. I realized that I was eating a lot of white rice at home. I would sometimes make a stir fry with no meat & eat it over rice with cashew nuts. Now I skip the rice & make sure that I eat meat at every meal. It has made a huge difference for me - to the good....

I have always been a big salad eater, so I have to make sure I add meat to my salads now. that has helped me a lot - but we are all different. It is just good to sometimes assess what you are eating.

Just as an aside, you do know that we are now eating genetically modified rice that "somehow" got into our food supply. remember when they did the same thing with corn?

Is it possible for brown rice to be contaminated in being processed? It seems to me that every time I eat brown rice, my mouth gets slightly sore and later on I'm ravenously hungry. I also get some gastrointestinal problems. It certainly doesn't happen when I eat white rice, though. Obviously there is less chance of white rice being contaminated since it's polished after being milled, which is essentially cleaning it.

how long have you been gluten free?

Yeah, but they're the same symptoms I get when I eat bread, for example, except that they're much more subtle. Also, I live in Chile where celiac awareness is much less. Oh, and, as I said, white rice doesn't affect me.

it is certainly possible to have an intolerance to rice, and there's no reason that the symptoms couldn't be similar.

there's no practical way to know for 100% certainty (I'm being a scientist when I use the 100% certainty term there, btw), if there's contamination, but the odds are really quite very very small, particularly if you are doing what you can to reduce contamination chances.

I can eat most rice but notice that some brands of rice bother me. I can eat brown rice depending on the company. White rice doesn't bother me at all.

I have actually heard that you need to be careful with white rice; there can be flour added to prevent sticking <_< .

I know someone who can't tolerate brown rice - it gives her brain fog worse than gluten. She has less trouble with white rice, perhaps because of the processing?

Sheryll

It could be because of all the chemicals they spray the rice plants with to keep away the pests. You're supposed to rinse brown rice very well, actually.