This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Does Anyone Get The Night Sweats?

Janeti

Janeti Apprentice

The more I find out about Celiacs, the more scared I get. The past couple of days, I haven't been feeling well. Every once in a while I wake up sweating. Does this happen to anyone? And also can this be from a fungal overgrowth? Janet

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nmw Newbie

Night sweats are common in those w/ gluten issues. Mine lessened considerably since going gluten-free. They can also be hormone-related.

mtraezme Newbie

I used to get them all the time, but now that I've cut out the gluten, I haven't had any.

VioletBlue Contributor

I only get them now if I've been accidentally glutened. And oddly enough, since someone mentioned hormones, all the other signs of menopause have lessened significantly since going gluten free.

Janeti Apprentice

I ate those darned mini reeses peanut butter cups that oddly enough have gluten in it. I have been sick for 3 days. I can't believe what 2 little mouthfuls have done to me. The nightsweats also happened the first night that I was glutened with the candy, and a little bit the next night too. Now I have muscle pain. It seems that everytime I accidently get glutened, the reactions get worse and worse. Is it the same with anyone? Janet

~alex~ Explorer

Low blood sugar can cause night sweats. If you're sick with vomiting and/or diarrhea from a glutening or not eating much because you don't feel well, that could lower your blood sugar and cause the night sweats.

Vykt0r Rookie

I hate night sweats....

Yes, I get them every time I consume something with gluten. Wow, I didn't know other people got that too...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Joni63 Collaborator

I got them frequently before being diagnosed, but none since going gluten free. My Dr. and I both thought it was perimenopause, but it was definately from gluten.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
I ate those darned mini reeses peanut butter cups that oddly enough have gluten in it. I have been sick for 3 days. I can't believe what 2 little mouthfuls have done to me. The nightsweats also happened the first night that I was glutened with the candy, and a little bit the next night too. Now I have muscle pain. It seems that everytime I accidently get glutened, the reactions get worse and worse. Is it the same with anyone? Janet

I used to get night sweats too. Also, even just a year ago I would get glutened and it would only last a few days, maybe a headache and some D. Now, it lasts a whole month! And I get symptoms I never had when I was sick, like I become lactose intolerant for a little while when I've been glutened, and that never happened before, usually dairy is soothing to me. So yeah, it definitely gets worse the longer you go.

wowzer Community Regular

I got the night sweats before going gluten free. They were one of the symptoms that went away when I went gluten free. I've been having them for the last 3 or 4 weeks. I'm not sure if it could be menopause now. I quit taking estradiol last March when they couldn't guarantee the generic form was gluten free. I didn't have any symptoms when I went off of them. I'm half wondering if I was even absorbing the pills. I did go to the doctor on Saturday and have a sinus and upper respitory infection. So it could be that too I suppose.

Centa Newbie

My problems with wheat and milk showed up during the time in which I was perimenopausal, so it has been impossible to know which was setting off night sweats.

I had a very definite correlation between night sweats and being fatigued, however. That could trace back either to celiac or to menopause issues, or to both at the same time.

When I got rest I wouldn't have sweats, when I was fatigued (I have a job that keeps me near that) I would tend to have them.

One thing that definitely helped me get deeper sleep, and so reduce the sweating was getting exercise, especially in the morning. There were some news articles about the correlation between better sleep and exercise in the first half of the day, I tried it, and it did have an effect for me.

But the sweats could have been due to menopausal issues, not the celiac. I've been as strictly off wheat as I can be and am a year and a half into menopause, and don't have sweats....occasionally a "warmth surge" at night, where I have to kick all the covers off, and know that I'm hot, when I'm overtired, but that's it.

I had the same correlation between fatigue and hot flashes as well, during the time I was going through the change. I especially "flashed" and had night sweats when I was coming down with something, like a cold or the flu.

hathor Contributor

I've gone through menopause (had the 1 year anniversary of my last period in September). I'm still getting bad night sweats and some hot flashes during the day. I was hopeful it was a function of inflammatory responses to food intolerances. I'd read that estrogen acts as an antiinflammatory; once it goes away, the body relies on a difference chemical which isn't as strong and whose levels are at their lowest in the middle of the night.

So, I wonder if I'm still reacting to assorted glutenings I've had since going gluten-free at the beginning of the year. Or if I'm intolerant to something else that is still in my diet. (Yes, I've tried a food diary. Doesn't seem to make any difference what I eat. I get the night sweats all the time now).

Can gluten mess up your hormones for a long period?

I had hoped going off the soy would help, and at first it seemed to. But now I'm back where I was.

Any ideas as to the most logical thing to take out of my diet now to see if that does it?

UR Groovy Explorer

Hmmmm...

I started waking up in the early morning (like 4am) totally sweating maybe a month ago. How weird. I'm only 40. I wonder if I'm perimenopausal - my cycle has been really off lately.

I'll be watching this thread - night sweats are totally new for me.

I've been gluten-free for 10 months, so it can't be gluten.

Sorry to be "all about me" on this post. It's just very strange.

sickchick Community Regular

yes...

nmw Newbie
I'm only 40. I wonder if I'm perimenopausal - my cycle has been really off lately.

40 can be a very normal time to start menopause. Menopause can take up to 10 years to fully manifest, and periods stop. You are considered post-menopausal when your periods have completely ceased for one year.

All of my gluten issues and menopausal symptoms hit hard right when I turned 40. Because it all started at once, my doctor and I assumed it was all menopause-related. Over a year later I identified that gluten was a major problem, got rid of it, and my meno symptoms calmed down significantly.

If you haven't seen your gyno lately, now would be a good time to go. Weird periods and night sweats are worth mentioning.

Renee864 Newbie

Yes!

Since I've been gluten free when I accidently eat something with gluten in it my reactions are pretty severe. I know it's frustrating sometimes. You have to be so careful and sometimes its so hard! I mostly buy products that say "gluten free"

tmk Explorer
I ate those darned mini reeses peanut butter cups that oddly enough have gluten in it.

sorry to be off subject here -- these have gluten in it? i thought reeses pb cups were gluten-free? so the ones in moose track ice cream have gluten in too??!

to be more on subject -- i get night sweats ALL the time -- not sure what that's about.

Anyways -- thanks for the info on the reeses!! :)

Calle Rookie
Hmmmm...

I started waking up in the early morning (like 4am) totally sweating maybe a month ago. How weird. I'm only 40. I wonder if I'm perimenopausal - my cycle has been really off lately.

Sorry to be "all about me" on this post. It's just very strange.

I'm 45 and I'm in perimenopause. My cycle is all over the place too. I know this is getting into a whole other topic, but for the past 1 1/2 years I have been using bioidentical hormones (natural) to help with menopause. When your in menopause most of the symptoms you get are because of progesterone deficencies. It's all about balancing the hormones and it can be tricky. I'm constantly tweaking the creams I use. I too get warm at night and have to throw the covers off. I used to get night sweats years ago, but I don't any longer.

Janeti Apprentice

Hello TMK,

I called Hersheys, and they said that the normal sized ones are gluten free, but not the minis. That afternoon when I ate only 2, a couple of hours later I had the nausea, that night I woke up sweating, and the next day in the bathroom with the big D....hardly worth it over a little bite of chocolate. That was last Wednesday, just last night I started to feel a little better. Crazy, right? :o

tmk Explorer
I called Hersheys, and they said that the normal sized ones are gluten free, but not the minis.

wow -- thanks for that info -- i would've just assumed b/c the large ones were gluten-free, so were the small ones -- that's so weird that one would have it and not the other! hope you're feeling better soon!

thanks again! :)

UR Groovy Explorer
40 can be a very normal time to start menopause.

If you haven't seen your gyno lately, now would be a good time to go. Weird periods and night sweats are worth mentioning.

I'm 45 and I'm in perimenopause.

Thanks.

I'm thinking now that this is probable. I'll check it out with my doc, but I've also decided to make an appointment with a holistic practitioner in the next couple months about other stuff too. We'll see what they come up with.

Thanks again.

grommet Newbie

I too had terrible night sweats and itching. Used to make myself bleed sometimes in the night with scratching my legs in my sleep.

I too thought it was perimenopause along with other things that were happening. All gone now I'm gluten-free.

(undiagnosed)

A tiny tiny bit of cross contamination means its like taking a tranquiliser at night but any more than that and the sweats return. Twitchy legs at bed time first (used to think it was caffeine) then the night sweats. Not too bad sometimes but a nightmare when you've put the fake tan on!

mftnchn Explorer

I'm intrigued that night sweats can be celiac related. I get them too, but not too often now. I thought it was/is hormone related. I am starting the menopause track, am now irregular.

Just another possibility: lyme disease. Night sweats are very much a part of the symptom spectrum, especially with babesia. Check out the lyme disease thread which has a good symptom list, as you might want to eliminate this possibility. I had a period of time early on during lyme treatment where I had a lot of night sweats.

Archived