Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GFM

Flax Seed Meal Substitute

I saw it in a dough recipe. The recipe also called for eggs so I don't think it was intended to be an egg substitute. I didn't realize that flax meal could be used as a substitute for eggs so maybe I can just substitute a high protein gluten-free flour instead.

I saw it in a dough recipe. The recipe also called for eggs so I don't think it was intended to be an egg substitute. I didn't realize that flax meal could be used as a substitute for eggs so maybe I can just substitute a high protein gluten-free flour instead.

I would guess that it's for fiber and texture. Do you just not like it?

There's flax meal in a recipe I have for french bread and I just leave it out. It doesn't seem to change to taste or texture. It might be in there just to add fiber.

Thanks everyone! I didn't want to buy a whole bag of flax when I only needed about 1/4 cup. I've never used it before, and didn't want the rest of it to go to waste. Although, maybe it's time for some experimenting.

Thanks everyone! I didn't want to buy a whole bag of flax when I only needed about 1/4 cup. I've never used it before, and didn't want the rest of it to go to waste. Although, maybe it's time for some experimenting.

When you use flax seed meal in a recipe, you need to adjust the amount of oil/butter that is used. It can also be used for egg replacement. This is the info I found on it:

Substitutions in Recipes

For Fat

If you do buy flax seed later on, store it in the fridge. It goes rancid fast if you don't. I love flax used for egg replacer. Ener-g alot of times makes it heavy and I have a few that were left sticky. Flax doesnt seem to do that. Flax also lowers cholesterol along with the benefits of omega 3.