This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Only One In Family With Cd

LynnR

LynnR Explorer

What do you do when you are the only one in the family with celiac disease? I am getting so tempted seeing bagels, muffins, cookies, etc. & can't have them. I do have some of my own food but being new I still don't have enough to keep me satisfied yet. When I see this "other" food, it drives me crazy!

I am also concerned with cross-contamination. The foods are in the same places.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator

lynn--its a mind set--you have to decide that you will not ever eat that other food again--it's for your health and only you can stop yourself from eating it--the cravings will get better-----as for cross contamination--you must be very careful--if i had a dish of butter in the fridge--it was labeled "mom" and my kids knew they could use it, but there was no double dipping--their bagels cannot touch your food--must be very careful----deb ;)

tarnalberry Community Regular

It also does get somewhat easier with time. It may never go away, but you'll find other things you like so much, and you'll forget _exactly_ what those things tasted like. (You'll probably always remember something close, though. ;-) )

celiac3270 Collaborator

The cravings do subside a great deal over time. If I found out that I didn't have celiac, I'd still have a hard time eating those foods -- I've developed such a dislike for them just because I know what they've done to me.

I'm an only-celiac-in-the-family also :P ....as long as everyone's educated and dilligent, cross-contam. isn't too big a problem--but they have to understand and care enough to keep you safe.

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

For over a year I was the only one here gluten-free and after a little bit I started craving my food and not theirs. I am a nut about crosscomtamination. I don't let people cook for me ad if they touch my food I won't eat it. I was verything ad sue new rags.

Guest ~wAvE WeT sAnD~

I'm also the only person in my family with celiac disease...my parents are on the South Beach maintenance diet, so a lot of their food is gluten-free too. The only time I'm tempted or I reminsce over twinkies pizzas, etc. is the split second I lay eyes on those things when I'm with my friends. The temptation disappears when I come home and cook my own food, or go to the cafeteria and get something special made.

Cross-contamination is my biggest fear also. Lynn, my advice to you is to get, as deb mentioned, separate butter containers, and steel pans. If you use teflon, which isn't recommended but I have to use anyway, make it your own. :D

OhNoes Rookie

For me the biggest help is remembering what their food does to me. That asiago cheese bagel with salmon cream cheese spread smells mighty good on its way out of the kitchen. It was one of my favorite habits to take a bite out of whatever I was bringing my husband, calling it a carrying fee. Even a tiny amount of gluten or casein will give me reactions for about three days. That bagel is gone in 10 minutes. I'll do the math- IT'S NOT WORTH IT! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

plantime Contributor

I'm the only celiac in my family. Yes, it is hard watching my family eat all of the cookies and cakes that I use to love eating. I am getting to where it doesn't bother me, though. I have a shelf in my cabinet that is just for my food, and I keep snacks there that I enjoy. I have taught my family about celiac, even my teenagers. They have been wonderful about helping me watch out for myself. My son works at Sonic, and he has made it a point to educate the cooks there, so I can safely get a burger at his Sonic.

Guest gfinnebraska

I am the only celiac as well. I just make myself special things, and then I don't miss theirs. :) I keep my family supplied with homemade cookies, pies, etc. and I make homemade ice cream, muffins, cake, etc. that is gluten-free for me! I have my own drawer where I keep my gluten-free items, and everyone knows not to touch!! It takes time, but you do get to the place where you don't miss "regular" food. There are tons of yummy things out there ~ keep looking and you will find replacements. :)

Rikki Tikki Explorer

I am also the only celiac in my family. I have tried to research back to see if anyone had this. My grandfather had colitis, and a cousin had chron's disease. Because of the symptoms I think my dad may of had it but he died of cancer in 99. I think there are probably others and they just were never tested for it. I also wonder if family members have been diagnosed with the wrong illness.

It is a very difficult position to be in. I have always loved the smell of foods baking and cooking but I am unwilling to pay the price if I were to eat something with gluten.

The holidays are difficult because sometimes it feels like I am being a bother to everyones plans.

I went down to my brother and his wife's house last month and was not hungry when I got there but they had bought food "just for me" and my brother said his wife would be upset f I didn't eat it. Anyway, I felt obligated to eat it even though I was full.

It does seem our food begins to taste the same at times, kind of bland.

celiac3270 Collaborator
For over a year I was the only one here gluten-free and after a little bit I started craving my food and not theirs. I am a nut about crosscomtamination. I don't let people cook for me ad if they touch my food I won't eat it.

I'm a bigger nut about cross-contamination. I have the same policy -- don't touch my food unless you've washed your hands well -- if someone's been preparing something else, such as a bagel, don't touch my stuff! :D I also have a policy about the floor -- gluten-free foods that fall on the floor that regular foods have fallen on aren't good. I'm even wary of people's hands after they've been eating gluten-free food--what they touch, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
KarenCM Rookie

I am the first to be diagnosed (Nov 9/04) with Celiac Disease in my family. I think that my immediate family is waiting until after christmas to get tested so that they don't have to miss out on some of the things at Christmas dinner. For Christmas I get my own cornish game hen. I have my own shelf in the cupboard of my gluten free foods. I don't really miss the other foods that the rest of the family eats since there are other foods that I can eat gluten free without the nasty side effects. There are some meals that my family eats that are gluten free anyway so I can eat the same thing with them sometimes. When I eat my own food sometimes I see my family wanting to have some but they will have to wait until they are diagnosed and we can fight over it.

Karen

Archived