Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ok I cant afford the hospital right now the bills etc even though I have health insurance, So I took it upon myself to go gluten free as I remeber when I was little my mom said I was allergic to wheat and milk and we only stuck to the diet for one year As I remeber I am not sure why she went back off the diet for me maybe Money as it is expensive!, But I notice that I have been alot better now im gluten free and I am actually sleeping alot better, But My worry is That I still should go get diagnosed so its there in my medical files but I heard you have to start eating gluten again and I am worried as Before I went gluten free it was to the point where my legs were going numb and Im pretty sure thats from gluten right?. I am not sure if I want to go back to that!. Whats everyones idea on what I should do?

If you feel better from being gluten-free, plus remember being told you had a problem with wheat when you were young, I certainly cannot recommend going back on it just for an official diagnosis. What does that give you? The treatment is to not eat gluten. Even if your test comes out negative (which it might for various reasons), it wouldn't mean you don't have a problem with gluten or you should ignore how much better you feel when you don't eat it.

In other words, you don't need a doctor's permission not to eat something. Ask yourself, if you go back on gluten just for testing, the gluten makes you sick again, and yet the test is negative, will you ignore your experience and continue to eat gluten?

If you want some testing, you might check out Enterolab. However, your insurance might not cover it. The advantage for them is that the tests are more sensitive, plus they work up to a year after going gluten-free.