Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NoSugarShell

How Does This Work?

I suspect that I have some kind of gluten intolerance so I have eliminated it from my diet. Over the years I have had so many different symptoms that seem to go right along with Celiac disease and I have an uncle that has been diagnosed with it.

Today is my 6th day. I felt great the first couple of days even though had a slight headache both days but now I feel run down and another headache. I lost 3 pounds in the first 4 days and my appetite really decreased (loved that one). Has anyone experienced this? Am I on the right track. I am sticking to just basic foods to be safe. Meat, cheese (very little), vegetables, fruits, and water.

If anyone has any advice or insight for me please I am all ears.

Sincerely,

Michelle

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi, Michelle,

I know that many of us experienced a real roller coaster of ups and downs on the road to recovery, (and still are!) with big swings sometimes even day to day. A lot of celiacs don't feel completely "well" for a year after going gluten-free. You may be suffering from malabsorption, and that could explain the run-down feeling. Getting blood work done is probably a good idea. Hang in there, and welcome! :)

Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973

diagnosed celiac winter 2005

diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! 253.gif

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.

--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

Today is my 6th day. I felt great the first couple of days even though had a slight headache both days but now I feel run down and another headache. I lost 3 pounds in the first 4 days and my appetite really decreased (loved that one). Has anyone experienced this? Am I on the right track. I am sticking to just basic foods to be safe. Meat, cheese (very little), vegetables, fruits, and water.

Michelle, I had a "detox" period when I gave up gluten, and it lasted for a couple of weeks. At the worst of it, I had body aches and an awful headache, like I was getting the flu. I felt vaguely nauseous, had no appetite, and had a head fog as thick as pea soup. Then one day, near the end of the second week, it all lifted and I started feeling better. It still took a few weeks to normalize completely, for me, but I never again felt as badly as I did for those 2 weeks. It could be that you're going through something similar. Both of my kids experienced gluten "withdrawal" as well, so I don't think it's uncommon. Drink lots of water!!! Hope you feel better soon!

Rho

Michelle, I had a "detox" period when I gave up gluten, and it lasted for a couple of weeks. At the worst of it, I had body aches and an awful headache, like I was getting the flu. I felt vaguely nauseous, had no appetite, and had a head fog as thick as pea soup. Then one day, near the end of the second week, it all lifted and I started feeling better. It still took a few weeks to normalize completely, for me, but I never again felt as badly as I did for those 2 weeks. It could be that you're going through something similar. Both of my kids experienced gluten "withdrawal" as well, so I don't think it's uncommon. Drink lots of water!!! Hope you feel better soon!

Rho

I agree, I'm always really bad for 2 weeks after as well. It's literally on the 13th or 14th day that things start to disappear. I wonder why that timing is?!

I second getting a blood panel for nutrients done, and maybe sarting now with some Vitamin B, since everyone with Celiac seems to feel better taking it.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Hi, Michelle,

I know that many of us experienced a real roller coaster of ups and downs on the road to recovery, (and still are!) with big swings sometimes even day to day. A lot of celiacs don't feel completely "well" for a year after going gluten-free. You may be suffering from malabsorption, and that could explain the run-down feeling. Getting blood work done is probably a good idea. Hang in there, and welcome! :)

I didn't know this I been almost gluten free since last Friday (3 crakers, 2 small cookies and maybe something else). And I've been feeling like poo. I do work out almost everyday sometime twice a day. So keeping my energy level up is hard.

going to the GI tomorrow to talk about my problems.

You go NoSugarShell :D