Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NoSugarShell

How Does This Work?

I suspect that I have some kind of gluten intolerance so I have eliminated it from my diet. Over the years I have had so many different symptoms that seem to go right along with Celiac disease and I have an uncle that has been diagnosed with it.

Today is my 6th day. I felt great the first couple of days even though had a slight headache both days but now I feel run down and another headache. I lost 3 pounds in the first 4 days and my appetite really decreased (loved that one). Has anyone experienced this? Am I on the right track. I am sticking to just basic foods to be safe. Meat, cheese (very little), vegetables, fruits, and water.

If anyone has any advice or insight for me please I am all ears.

Sincerely,

Michelle

Hi, Michelle,

I know that many of us experienced a real roller coaster of ups and downs on the road to recovery, (and still are!) with big swings sometimes even day to day. A lot of celiacs don't feel completely "well" for a year after going gluten-free. You may be suffering from malabsorption, and that could explain the run-down feeling. Getting blood work done is probably a good idea. Hang in there, and welcome! :)

Today is my 6th day. I felt great the first couple of days even though had a slight headache both days but now I feel run down and another headache. I lost 3 pounds in the first 4 days and my appetite really decreased (loved that one). Has anyone experienced this? Am I on the right track. I am sticking to just basic foods to be safe. Meat, cheese (very little), vegetables, fruits, and water.

Michelle, I had a "detox" period when I gave up gluten, and it lasted for a couple of weeks. At the worst of it, I had body aches and an awful headache, like I was getting the flu. I felt vaguely nauseous, had no appetite, and had a head fog as thick as pea soup. Then one day, near the end of the second week, it all lifted and I started feeling better. It still took a few weeks to normalize completely, for me, but I never again felt as badly as I did for those 2 weeks. It could be that you're going through something similar. Both of my kids experienced gluten "withdrawal" as well, so I don't think it's uncommon. Drink lots of water!!! Hope you feel better soon!

Rho

Michelle, I had a "detox" period when I gave up gluten, and it lasted for a couple of weeks. At the worst of it, I had body aches and an awful headache, like I was getting the flu. I felt vaguely nauseous, had no appetite, and had a head fog as thick as pea soup. Then one day, near the end of the second week, it all lifted and I started feeling better. It still took a few weeks to normalize completely, for me, but I never again felt as badly as I did for those 2 weeks. It could be that you're going through something similar. Both of my kids experienced gluten "withdrawal" as well, so I don't think it's uncommon. Drink lots of water!!! Hope you feel better soon!

Rho

I agree, I'm always really bad for 2 weeks after as well. It's literally on the 13th or 14th day that things start to disappear. I wonder why that timing is?!

Hi, Michelle,

I know that many of us experienced a real roller coaster of ups and downs on the road to recovery, (and still are!) with big swings sometimes even day to day. A lot of celiacs don't feel completely "well" for a year after going gluten-free. You may be suffering from malabsorption, and that could explain the run-down feeling. Getting blood work done is probably a good idea. Hang in there, and welcome! :)

I didn't know this I been almost gluten free since last Friday (3 crakers, 2 small cookies and maybe something else). And I've been feeling like poo. I do work out almost everyday sometime twice a day. So keeping my energy level up is hard.

going to the GI tomorrow to talk about my problems.

You go NoSugarShell :D