Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mama2two

Difference Between Celiac And Gluten Sensitive

I am still trying to figure out the difference between celiac disease and gluten sensitivity, if there is any. Can anyone answer my question? I know that they can share common symptoms and that the treatment is a gluten-free diet for both. I was wondering whether or not someone with gluten sensitivity is at risk of developing lymphoma, and all the other autoimmune diseases, etc. that are associated with a celiac not following a gluten-free diet. I would appreciate any info on the matter. Thanks

I am still trying to figure out the difference between celiac disease and gluten sensitivity, if there is any. Can anyone answer my question? I know that they can share common symptoms and that the treatment is a gluten-free diet for both. I was wondering whether or not someone with gluten sensitivity is at risk of developing lymphoma, and all the other autoimmune diseases, etc. that are associated with a celiac not following a gluten-free diet. I would appreciate any info on the matter. Thanks

With Celiac Disease, gluten will set off an autoimmune reaction in the small intestines which caused damage. With a gluten sensitivity, you will have the same symptoms as with Celiac, but the damage will not occur.

It is thought the a sensitivity may be a precursor to Celiac

With Celiac Disease, gluten will set off an autoimmune reaction in the small intestines which caused damage. With a gluten sensitivity, you will have the same symptoms as with Celiac, but the damage will not occur.

It is thought the a sensitivity may be a precursor to Celiac

Another question: My husband also saw a GI doc and had a celiac panel done because he also as well as his family has symptoms of celiac that improves with his diet, and we were so sure his lab results would com back positive, but the doc said they were negative. Now he had been following a gluten free diet for a while, few weeks or so, but I know he cheats, and the doc told him that as long as he had had some sort of gluten within the last 6months that it would show up if he had celiac disease. I thought you had to eat gluten lots of gluten for 2 weeks prior to doing a panel, was I wrong to think this?

You need to have had gluten for at least three months, every day, for "reliable" blood tests. The doctor was working with incorrect (according to everything I've read, anyway) information - or inferred it from other things in an erroneous fashion.

Like Momma Goose said, celiac causes an autoimmune reaction in the small intestine, resulting in damage.

Gluten sensitivity doesn't necessarily cause the reaction in the small intestine, but can cause a reaction elsewhere. In my case I get an autoimmune reaction in my kidneys. Eat gluten = have autoimmune kidney disease. No gluten = no kidney disease. I don't think there's enough research for anyone to know exactly what non-celiac gluten sensitivity can do in the body. But I know firsthand that it isn't something "less" than celiac.

You need to have had gluten for at least three months, every day, for "reliable" blood tests. The doctor was working with incorrect (according to everything I've read, anyway) information - or inferred it from other things in an erroneous fashion.

You see this is what I thought and I'm no doc, but we went to this particular dr because he has supposedly been so helpful to others with celiac and at diagnosing it. We were referred by someone who leads a celiac support group, so I had confidence in him, now we are paying for a test that really was not done correctly, I thank God for some docs and others can sure frustrate you. Sorry, I just had to vent. thanks for your response.