Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

megsbaby

White Cheddar Rice Cakes

Okay, so I have read the ingredients on this package about a million times but for some reason I keep having doubts that they are really gluten-free. I need another set of eyes on this please.

They are white cheddar flavor rice cakes (no name brand). Here's the ingredients list:

brown and white rice, corn, seasoning (white cheddar cheese powder, whey, salt, cultured buttermilk, natural flavor, skimmed milk powder, lactic acid, safflower oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, silicon dioxide).

My DH just wants a snack that is healthy that he can grab and go - and plain rice cakes aren't cutting it.

Thanks in advance!

They look gluten-free to me--might want to call the company about the natural flavoring to make sure it doesn't contain barley/malt. However, with the hydrogenated oil, they aren't exactly as healthy as you think rice cakes would be. Probably beats a bag of chips, though.

Ok thanks for the advice...I called the no name company and they checked their allergen list and guess what gluten is in this product! It is apparently listed on their allergen information as gluten (corn). Does that make ANY sense at all??? Yikes.

I hear ya about the hydrogenated oil. If my DH has to choose between rice cakes and junky chips...I'd still rather him have the rice cakes, except not these ones cuz apparently it has gluten. Boo!

Ok thanks for the advice...I called the no name company and they checked their allergen list and guess what gluten is in this product! It is apparently listed on their allergen information as gluten (corn). Does that make ANY sense at all??? Yikes.

I hear ya about the hydrogenated oil. If my DH has to choose between rice cakes and junky chips...I'd still rather him have the rice cakes, except not these ones cuz apparently it has gluten. Boo!

Corn gluten is different than bad-Celiac-gluten. Sometimes you'll see corn gluten or rice gluten on products and those are safe for Celiacs.

Ok you rock! Thanks again. I had another different flavor of rice cakes so I called the company again and asked them about it. And again they said yes it was on their allergen list under gluten for corn gluten. Sigh, I already threw out the other rice cakes but I will keep these other ones around.

It sure makes it confusing when the manufacturers list all things that contain gluten not just bad-for-Celiacs-gluten. I am sure I will get the hang of this eventually.

It sure makes it confusing when the manufacturers list all things that contain gluten not just bad-for-Celiacs-gluten. I am sure I will get the hang of this eventually.

We all make mistakes sometimes--no matter how hard we try.

I just realized my daughter's shampoo could have gluten in it. :rolleyes: