Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

horsegirl

Low Vitamin D Levels

I recently asked my doctor to test my vitamin B12 and vitamin D levels since I'm "free" of several

different major food groups now. My B12 was in the "normal" range, but the D was quite low

("optimum functioning" is 35, & I was 18). The doctor recommended bumping up my intake to 1200 units daily. But how do I do that? Supplements? Certain foods?

Any suggestions?

Mine was also just tested and found to be below optimal. They're having me take a vitamin D3 supplement with 50,000 IU of Vitamin D3...I'm taking one of those a day for a month...don't know what happens after that though, I need to ask tomorrow. She said the idea behind the megadose is to "flood the receptors" whatever that means. I don't think I could get that much with just food alone. You might call your doctor and ask about the best way to get it.

I believe someone recently posted a link to an article about how D3 supplements are better than the usual D2 ones.

A number of foods are supplemented with D. I see my hemp milk has D2 and my orange juice has D3.

I wouldn't recommend taking more than what your doctor personally prescribes. You don't want to overdose.

Do you get much sunlight? This is the way humans have traditionally gotten their Vitamin D. Here's an article I recently read:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2007nl/sep/vd.htm

Unless you live quite near the equator, you won't get enough vitamin D through sun in the winter, no matter how long you stay in the sun.

The best and healthiest source of vitamin D is still good old cod liver oil. And there is a good tasting one now that even tastes good, not fishy. I am taking Carlson cod liver oil, and went from 24 to 150 within a year, and had to cut back, as it was getting too high. Optimal is about 120.

Cod liver oil gives you also high doses of omega 3 fatty acids, which are essential to health, as well as vitamin A and E.

Unless you live quite near the equator, you won't get enough vitamin D through sun in the winter, no matter how long you stay in the sun.

The best and healthiest source of vitamin D is still good old cod liver oil. And there is a good tasting one now that even tastes good, not fishy. I am taking Carlson cod liver oil, and went from 24 to 150 within a year, and had to cut back, as it was getting too high. Optimal is about 120.

Cod liver oil gives you also high doses of omega 3 fatty acids, which are essential to health, as well as vitamin A and E.

I'm with Ursula...it's cheap, too!

I'm with Ursula...it's cheap, too!

Oh yeah, that! I forgot about the whole winter thing...

I got glutened this past weekend, my IQ still hasn't recovered. I take Dr Ron's cod liver oil, but it's pretty expensive, Carlson is the next best. And you said it doesn't taste bad?

I've tried taking a few different brands of EFAs (essential fatty acids) and fish oils and haven't tolerated any of them (also tried Flax seed oil and meal and hemp for some Omega 3s with no luck in the tolerance department)...I'm wondering if the cod liver would do any better for me? :unsure: Just thinking in cyberspace. :P

I got glutened this past weekend, my IQ still hasn't recovered. I take Dr Ron's cod liver oil, but it's pretty expensive, Carlson is the next best. And you said it doesn't taste bad?

Carlson cod liver oil is lemon flavoured, and really doesn't taste bad. My husband claims it tastes great, I wouldn't go that far myself. But I am one of those people who will absolutely not take anything that tastes bad (I just can't make myself stick with something I hate). So, if I've taken it for two years now, you better believe it tastes okay!

Before I found out I was intensely intolerant of dairy, I enjoyed adding a tablespoon of Carlson's lemon cod liver oil to 8 oz. of plain yogurt, along with a packet of Stevia Plus (or some other acceptable sweetener). It tasted like a wonderful lemon pudding! Honestly. It may sound bad, but it's actually really good! I miss it.