This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Still Having Problems

medictao

medictao Newbie

Hello all,

Newly diagnosed with celiac and still trying to figure it all out, but am not too sure. I thougtht I had the diet down, and restrict everything in my power, but am still losing weight. I feel fine and have not any attacks since becoming g.f., but the weight issue is really bothering me. Has anyone else had the same problem, or have suggestions. I keep a food diary and have scrutinized it over and over and can't find a reason. Thanks in advance.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

medictao Newbie

I forgot to mention that 4 months post diagnosis and had my levels drawn and they are higher than the initial value. Frustrated!!!

happygirl Collaborator

Has your doctor run any additional bloodwork, or talked with you about your concerns? Do you have any other medical problems?

medictao Newbie

I have talked to him about my concerns but since I was "officially" diagnosed only a few months back, I get the feeling like I'm being put off. He didn't seem to concerned about the levels and talked about retesting in 6 months from now. I'm not sure I feel comfortable with that time frame, but know he is a competent doc. No other med problems, or other allergies that I know of. I feel good and am symptom free... Has anyone heard how long it takes for thier weight to stabilze: either gaining or in my case loosing?

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
I have talked to him about my concerns but since I was "officially" diagnosed only a few months back, I get the feeling like I'm being put off. He didn't seem to concerned about the levels and talked about retesting in 6 months from now. I'm not sure I feel comfortable with that time frame, but know he is a competent doc. No other med problems, or other allergies that I know of. I feel good and am symptom free... Has anyone heard how long it takes for thier weight to stabilze: either gaining or in my case loosing?

I think the important thing is that you feel better. It took me over a year to start gaining the weight I needed, so patience is definitely a virtue with this disease. I think you're doing fine, the important thing is that you feel better. Just don't do drinking Ensure or any crap like that to try to gain wieght, that stuff's full of sugar, which won't help you gain weight.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Have you eliminated dairy and soy from your diet? They could possibly be the cause of your ongoing problems. And are you eating enough saturated fats? Because despite the negative press saturated fat is getting, it is essential for every cell in our bodies.

The very best source of saturated fat is cold-pressed, unhydrogenated coconut oil. It is the most heat stable oil as well, and is perfect for cooking and baking. Since it doesn't get liquid until heated, you can't use it for salads, olive oil is still best for those.

Also, you need to make sure you are getting enough protein.

Try eating six smaller meals, rather than three large ones, and make sure you eat healthy snacks in between.

If you eat right, get enough fat, make sure you are gluten-free, then you just need to be patient. It will come.

medictao Newbie

Thanks for both of your kind words. I'm sure your right but I guess with the acutity of loosing weight, being diagnosed, and then having to revamp my diet...whew! I might also being having some c.c. issues the more I think about things. I have a 2 year old son and wife who are not g.f. and think it is a major source. But what can you do? Not help with his care, or not play with him because of c.c.? How do other people deal with family members who are not g.f.? I think its a bit unfair to change my childs diet (not that getting him to eat healthy isn't hard enough), but I also know that I can't keep having my body being insulted. Thanks for letting me vent :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

April in KC Apprentice

You definitely need to examine the possibility of cross contamination. Also examine carefully what you are eating. Is it possible that you are eating something you think is safe but is not?

You might throw out a sample day's diet for folks here to examine.

My weight loss did not stop right away after gluten free. It did slow down after about a month, and it probably stopped by around three or four months gluten-free.

I got more sensitive a week or two after going gluten free.

You might buy your own set of dishes just for you at home. You're not, for example, buying Van's gluten free waffles and making them in the same toaster as your wife's gluten-containing bread, are you? If so, buy a separate toaster and insist that it never be used for gluten-containing foods.

Also buy separate condiment tubs and jars, and label with your name in magic marker on the lids. Don't allow someone to stick a knife in your tub of margarine, for example.

We keep a stash of plastic knives and spoons in the regular silverware drawer along with our nice silverware. We do this as a reminder to use plastic knives ONE TIME ONLY in things like the jelly jar, etc. Use once, no double dipping, and then throw away. We actually are gluten free at home, but we do the plastic silverware thing because two of us (myself and our youngest boy) do not tolerate rice and corn, and the others (my two oldest sons) do. My husband tolerates gluten, but he eats gluten free at home and does not complain. He has been incredibly supportive. He tends to get his gluten fix when he's out for lunch at work. Every once in a while, he orders a pizza when he's at home alone. He uses paper plates in that case and is very careful in how he cleans up.

Your child might be okay eating more gluten-free foods than he or she currently eats. Have you tried finding a brand of gluten-free cookies/snacks, etc., that they like? My kids really like Montanas cookies and Kinni-Toos by Kinnikinnick. Calm your child's carb cravings with safe things like popcorn, potato chips, Tings (you can get at health food stores), etc. I'm not suggesting you put your child on a gluten-free diet, but you could kind of make it a rule that when YOU prepare food for your child, it will be gluten free. Does that make sense?

Sorry you're still losing weight. If you are not having any attacks, that might be a good sign that things will eventually stabilize. However, if antibodies remain high after a time, then you are still getting gluten.

Watch out for seasoning mixes. I just have a heck of a time finding taco seasoning, etc., that doesn't contain gluten, whether declared or undeclared.

Our eating style changed. We bought a Foreman grill and started eating more grilled meats, chicken, fish, shrimp, etc. Besides my infant son, I have the most sensitivities (gluten, rice, corn, milk products), so I have had to learn to cook some quick meals for myself that I can store and eat from during the week. That way, I wasn't tempted to eat things that others were eating if they were not safe for me.

Good luck. I feel for you.

April

Archived