Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Candy

Any Race Can Get Celiac ?

I believe that's true , but where exactly are they getting it from ? Are they mixed race Blacks,Hispanics,and others that are part northern European heritage or do other race people have their own version of Celiac Disease?

I believe that's true , but where exactly are they getting it from ? Are they mixed race Blacks,Hispanics,and others that are part northern European heritage or do other race people have their own version of Celiac Disease?

It's my understanding that any race can develop Celiac, period. Just like any race can get cancer or diabetes. It seems that it's more prevalent for some races, but anyone can get it, regardless of race, sex, or age.

-Sarah

Yes any race can have celiac. Although the genes that cause celiac in peoples that do not consume large amounts of gluten will often present with different diseases unless those peoples 'Westernize' their diets. Researching my oddball gluten sensitivity gene for example revealed that in Japan my gene is considered to be linked to a rare form of diabetes, at least in the past. Now that folks in Japan are consuming a more 'American Style' diet it is now presenting in the form of celiac. The celiac genes are present in most populations but if those folks don't consume large amounts of the gluten toxin in their typical diet it may manifest differently.