Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lisa

Jack Russel Pup

Hello All -

We are looking into a new pup. Jack Russells have always interested me. We used to have a

Bull Terrier (dog from *ell and a very long, funny story) and never again. I can handle a Jack.

Has anyone had any experience with Jack Russells? Advise welcome.

Edit: Could someone please add an extra "l" to my subject line. :rolleyes:

Guest j_mommy

Family members have had jacks and they were great! Great with the kids and VERY trainable! They are a smart funny little dog!

Guest andie

Lisa

My mom has had several of these dogs and LOVES them. Very smart. Very wirery. Very energetic, especially as pups.

A word of caution, though. Hide EVERYTHING you don't want chewed!

They are typically 'ratters' and love to dig and obtain things from small places. They are excellent pick-pockets.

Have gone through 3 cell phones and 2 mp3 players if left in the pocket of your coat.

And I mean hide it HIGH or behind locked doors. They can jump pretty high onto things. Forget your traditional baby gate. That's just a small challenge to be overcome right away and have no problems. Did I mention energetic?

These dogs need alot of discipline when young (and I don't mean the hitting kind!) They are very much like active 2 year olds who have no fear, but really cute kids.

Also consider a white westie terrier. Not as energetic, not able to jump as high and not as obsessed with small places but otherwise very nice dogs. I like these better myself, but then I don't have the energy my mother does!

Andie

Hello All -

We are looking into a new pup. Jack Russells have always interested me. We used to have a

Bull Terrier (dog from *ell and a very long, funny story) and never again. I can handle a Jack.

Has anyone had any experience with Jack Russells? Advise welcome.

Edit: Could someone please add an extra "l" to my subject line. :rolleyes:

Good Grief Andi.....I think that you have changed my mind. I should be quite content to watch my twenty year old cat breath. :huh:

I am a little terrier shy. When our Bull Terrier's ball rolled under the sofa, he just moved the sofa to reach the ball, ate the vacume and walked through the screen door whenever he wanted to go outside.

We have generally had labs for most of our lives and looking for a smaller dog with a longer lifespan.

I'll check out the white westies. Thanks

umm, yeah I second the energy level comments!

In vet medicine we joke that Jack Russells are the ADHD of the dog world. They are not afraid of anything. They were bred to go down holes after rodents and badgers...ever seen a badger? A Jack Russell will take them on. :o

A westie is definitely more laid back and not as "dominant" as the Jack

Runners and joggers and familes with roller blading kids - love the Jack for its energy...

Whatever dog you get - have one that matches your energy level and patience. :)

Sandy

The Jack Russell terrier is a very energetic dog. Most are very affectionate, but their high energy level may be challenging. My dentist has a Jack, and he told me that it would be better called a "Jack Daniels Terrier" because it was driving him to drink :o I have also heard the sobriquet "Jack Russell Terror," but they are really good dogs. They just have a high energy level. If you can deal with that, you will enjoy the dog very much.

I have always loved Jack Russell's when I've met them, but have never owned one myself...

A little OT, but I have to tell you something funny about my dog... She tries to hug people. Yeah, seriously. She's a Heinz 57 (little bit of everything) But looks very German Shepherdy, Beautiful dog, but very funny.

Her mom (my friend's dog) got killed by a hit and run when the pups were only a couple weeks old, and I adopted one. I raised her, bottle-fed her puppy formula and everything. Now she kind of thinks she's a human. She's about 10 months old now (and quite big!) and she'll wrap her front paws around you to try to hug you. It's pretty funny! She's been doing that since she was little.

-Sarah

Yep, Jacks are fairly high-maintenance, as tends to happen generally with terriers. Something of an exception, though, is the Westie. They are calmer, smarter than we are, and shed very little. My vote, however, for all-around best family dog in every category is the standard poodle. The one trade-off is his need for regular grooming, but a few years ago I finally bought my own clippers and do my dogs myself. Nothing fancy, and it takes an afternoon and they're done. Great tri-annual bonding time! :)

Hey Lisa!

Unless you find yourself a dealer who can give you unlimited speed ;) , I think the Jack is a bit too much to handle! :lol:

Except for my Maltese who lived for 16 years (high intelligent dog, totally devoted, hypoallergenic, but you have to groom him which I did myself), I have had all goldens. I have decided to stick to my dopey golden retrievers..... even though they grow up physically, the are permanent puppies mentally! :lol:

Oh, forgot, when I was a kid, we had a Chihuahua who was fiercely loyal to my brother. If Gary was not feeling well, Candy would sleep with him and growl when anyone came near! Candy also liked to sleep under the kitchen table and when we would sit down to eat, if our feet even came close to him, he would bite our toes!

It has been my experience with dogs that smaller ones live longer, but the downside is every small dog I have had has had somewhat of an "attitude". They tended to not really give a crap how much you scolded them for going indoors, they would just lift the leg up and look directly at you like "Oh yeah, what are you going to do about it, huh?" Every golden I have had would rather explode internally than have an accident indoors.

Good Luck!

Guest andie

Lisa

I certainly do not want to turn you off these dogs. They are REALLY smart and train fairly easily, but you have to be consistant with the discipline, because like a two year old they will push the envelope until they realize you will not tolerate this behaviour. (Unlike a two year old who continues this behaviour until they leave home at 18). My mom's latest dog is only about a year old. She got him when he was 8 months and he is a really niice dog.

If you live somewhere where he has a bit of freedom to run you will be fine on the energy thing. They get along generally well with other dogs (usually just because other dogs can't catch them!)

All you really have to do is walk them somewhere were you can take your time and they will run circles around you and wear themselves out! Again like taking the 2 year old to the park while you sit on the bench!

Jack Russells are a good prerequisite to kids. If you can manage the dog, you're ready for anything!

Have fun.

Andie

Good Grief Andi.....I think that you have changed my mind. I should be quite content to watch my twenty year old cat breath. :huh:

I am a little terrier shy. When our Bull Terrier's ball rolled under the sofa, he just moved the sofa to reach the ball, ate the vacume and walked through the screen door whenever he wanted to go outside.

We have generally had labs for most of our lives and looking for a smaller dog with a longer lifespan.

I'll check out the white westies. Thanks

If you're looking for a small dog that's smart and loving (like a Jack), but not as high of an energy level, seriously consider a Bichon Frise. They are wonderful little dogs. We've had three Bichons and they are pretty much the perfect dog if you like small dogs. They don't shed very much (if at all) so there's very little clean up. They're trainable, smart, and funny, tons of personality. They also make a great lap dog when you're watching tv. They do love to play, but they know how to calm down to. Plus, that little poof ball face of white curly hair is just priceless.

Wow, I'm getting so many wonderful suggestions.

I raised my two daughters and they are out of the house (although one considers my kitchen a grocery store), but at least she comes home. :rolleyes:

It's just the two of us, the more I read, the less I want to raise a Jack Russell. A friend has two, and I should be just as content to enjoy his, then go home and find my house intact. Serious second thoughts.

I have been looking into Labradoodles and find them wonderful. The temperament of a lab and the intelligence of a poodle seems like a great combination. A lab mixed with a "minnie" poodle :unsure: would be a great size, but unsure about the possibilities. Is there such a size?

Another thing of concern. My husband would be the primary evening walker and NO SUCH PRISSY DOG would accompany him in public. Yeah, well....he cries a sad chick flicks too. :P

Our hopes for the future is to sell our house (on the market currently) and buy a smaller house and a bigger boat.......so have dog, will travel.

ANYWAYS...I am lovin' all the suggestions and stories. All suggestions welcome.

I have been looking into Labradoodles and find them wonderful. The temperament of a lab and the intelligence of a poodle seems like a great combination.

My brother has a black Labradoodle and it is an amazing dog. It was quite expensive I believe but totally worth it. The dog is just a joy to be around and its fur is so soft. They also tend to be hypoallengeric so they're good if anyone in your family has a problem with asthma or allergies.

I grew up with a border collie so I am quite partial to them too. He was a smart, loyal, shy guy. He did need A LOT of exercise but so did my brother and I at that age so it was a good fit!

It might be a bit bigger than you're looking for but a Labradoodle is a gem of a dog and I can't imagine you being disappointed in one.

Guest andie

If you are thinking of getting a bigger boat then a jack russell would not be the right choice, I think.

First they are just way too active to enjoy a nice cruise and second you'd be fishing them out of the drink just one too many times. I believe I mentioned they have no fear.

They are trained to go down holes and you may have no wiring left on the engine until they are properly trained.

the more I hear the more I think a white westie would be the answer. They are a mans dog as well.

Tough but very loveable. Not too big for a boat. Sheds very little. Can't imagine packing a vacuum for my cruise! They look like a nautical dog and would be the right size to carry aboard. not sure about what kind of swimmer they are. That may be important in case they fall over.

Good luck with your search.

Keep us informed of your choice.

Andie

Wow, I'm getting so many wonderful suggestions.

I raised my two daughters and they are out of the house (although one considers my kitchen a grocery store), but at least she comes home. :rolleyes:

It's just the two of us, the more I read, the less I want to raise a Jack Russell. A friend has two, and I should be just as content to enjoy his, then go home and find my house intact. Serious second thoughts.

I have been looking into Labradoodles and find them wonderful. The temperament of a lab and the intelligence of a poodle seems like a great combination. A lab mixed with a "minnie" poodle :unsure: would be a great size, but unsure about the possibilities. Is there such a size?

Another thing of concern. My husband would be the primary evening walker and NO SUCH PRISSY DOG would accompany him in public. Yeah, well....he cries a sad chick flicks too. :P

Our hopes for the future is to sell our house (on the market currently) and buy a smaller house and a bigger boat.......so have dog, will travel.

ANYWAYS...I am lovin' all the suggestions and stories. All suggestions welcome.

The Jack Russell is my next dog. Can't wait for the bouncing energy! I've heard the horror stories and still can't wait for a Jack. It will be several years since two dogs is already too many for me.

Currently have a beagle/chiuawa (sp?) mix. Awsome dog. Barks rarely (had to train that feature!) Fearless. Compact size. Sheds little. Beagles tends to be a loud dog, so look into it first. Chi has all the fun attitude.

Also have a lab. Sheds a new dog every night. HUGE -he's over 100lbs and lean. He is also the best dog I have ever had! After 3 yrs he is finally starting to show signs of calming down.

Since you are down sizing the house and getting a bigger boat...consider who will be picking the dog out of the water when he falls in? Can you install a dog friendly steps? I would not be able to pick my lab up out of the water. So weight and size is a big concern.

If you are in northern waters, consider the "water breed" dogs. Some dogs are more or less designed for water.

I agree to make sure to match your enegery level and living environment to the dog for a good fit.

Send a picture of what you get!