Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vykt0r

Rice

Does anyone here have rice as their staple? I'm not talking about rice in breads or baked goods. I'm talking about eating plain boiled rice every day the way we(or at least I) used to eat bread. I've noticed that it's not done that much in America and am wondering if that's the reason so many people find it hard to cut wheat products out of their diet.

Does anyone here have rice as their staple? I'm not talking about rice in breads or baked goods. I'm talking about eating plain boiled rice every day the way we(or at least I) used to eat bread. I've noticed that it's not done that much in America and am wondering if that's the reason so many people find it hard to cut wheat products out of their diet.

My family eats rice probably about every other day. We did this before we ever learned about gluten, and we still do it now. But I'd say this is probably much more often than a lot of families in America... I think.

-Sarah

I do, but I live in the land of delish Cuban food. I have rice every day at dinner. (beans and rice, pakistanikima and rice, chili and rice...)

I've been eating rice 1 to 4 times a day due to additional food intolerances (soy, legumes, corn, potatoes, eggs, dairy, chicken, nuts, certain oils). I usually take two bowls of rice to work and eat them mid-morning and lunch-time. For flavor, I usually add dried cranberries although sometimes I just eat the rice plain which is not all that bad.

Since I have some concern that I might develop an intolerance to rice due to eating so much of it, I try to eat different types of rice. I've started to develop favorites for different dishes. For instance, I use jasmine rice for a simple dish of rice, coconut and raisins. It's good for dessert-type dishes. Brown rice and red rice are good for heavier meals.

I've been eating rice 1 to 4 times a day due to additional food intolerances (soy, legumes, corn, potatoes, eggs, dairy, chicken, nuts, certain oils). I usually take two bowls of rice to work and eat them mid-morning and lunch-time. For flavor, I usually add dried cranberries although sometimes I just eat the rice plain which is not all that bad.

Since I have some concern that I might develop an intolerance to rice due to eating so much of it, I try to eat different types of rice. I've started to develop favorites for different dishes. For instance, I use jasmine rice for a simple dish of rice, coconut and raisins. It's good for dessert-type dishes. Brown rice and red rice are good for heavier meals.

Can you eat olive oil?

I eat rice, either white or brown almost everyday with soy milk, sweet and low and raisins or craisons. I also like to add a little cinnamon or cardamom.

I eat rice as a staple, as i mentioned before. I actually eat rice leftovers for lunch, rice for dinner, and gluten-free waffled or doughnuts for brekfast. It's easier down here, though. I ate mostly rice before I was Celiac. We had bread with soup and stuff, but mostly rice. You know what you can do, is put chicken broth in your rice, or curry. (I don't know if you can eat spicy stuff...) You can do almost anything with rice. I usally eat it with some sorta thing on the top. (chicken, pakistani kima...) I can post a couple recipies on the other board if you want me too.

10-lb bags from the nearby Asian market. It's so inexpensive, and you can choose from basmati rice, jasmine rice, etc. I'm a basmati-ophile.

ViktOr's right...olive oil is good. And you can start off with a little olive oil in the bottom of the pan, soft saute some chopped onion, plus whatever flavor you want to go all through the rice...a wee bit of garlic, maybe a couple tablespoons of tomatoes if you're a tomato eater, once everything is soft and gently cooked in the olive oil, mix in your rice to coat it, add hot water or broth and cover and cook.

I'm not talking about Uncle Ben's type rice, by the way, but an untreated rice.

Long grain rice will stand up to more cooking without getting gummy.

10-lb bags from the nearby Asian market. It's so inexpensive, and you can choose from basmati rice, jasmine rice, etc. I'm a basmati-ophile.

ViktOr's right...olive oil is good. And you can start off with a little olive oil in the bottom of the pan, soft saute some chopped onion, plus whatever flavor you want to go all through the rice...a wee bit of garlic, maybe a couple tablespoons of tomatoes if you're a tomato eater, once everything is soft and gently cooked in the olive oil, mix in your rice to coat it, add hot water or broth and cover and cook.

I'm not talking about Uncle Ben's type rice, by the way, but an untreated rice.

Long grain rice will stand up to more cooking without getting gummy.

:) I just throw raw olive oil on top of my already served rice. I eat it like tomato sauce(in moderation of course).

It sure does taste good.

They're expensive , but sesame oil and hazelnut oil hit the spot dressing the rice the way you do, too.

Once I figured that out, my precious bottle of hazelnut oil was history....partly because my non-celiac visitors were "hitting the bottle" right along with me :)

DD loves rice, always has, even before Celiac (probably subconsciously because it didn't make her sick). We make it 3-4 times a week, along with risotto. I'm slowly getting the kids away from "Minute Rice" and on to some of the healthier varieties.