Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lonewolf

Excited About Helping A Child

Several years ago I was diagnosed with a kidney disease (Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome) and discovered, through a long process, that I could get it into remission by going fanatically gluten-free. No nasty medications or anything.

"Coincidentally", a little boy on my 10 year old son's soccer team has the same kidney disease. He's been on prednisone for 8 years and has never gone into remission. When I told his mom what I did to get better and how I've stayed in remission for 3-1/2 years, she was interested in having him try the diet. He doesn't have any symptoms of Celiac. He's been on the diet for about 8 or 9 days and I got a message on my answering machine that he's showing signs of going into remission for the first time in 8 years! I am so excited that my experience could actually help someone, especially a child!

Several years ago I was diagnosed with a kidney disease (Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome) and discovered, through a long process, that I could get it into remission by going fanatically gluten-free. No nasty medications or anything.

"Coincidentally", a little boy on my 10 year old son's soccer team has the same kidney disease. He's been on prednisone for 8 years and has never gone into remission. When I told his mom what I did to get better and how I've stayed in remission for 3-1/2 years, she was interested in having him try the diet. He doesn't have any symptoms of Celiac. He's been on the diet for about 8 or 9 days and I got a message on my answering machine that he's showing signs of going into remission for the first time in 8 years! I am so excited that my experience could actually help someone, especially a child!

Liz, that is so neat. Just think that the quality of life you, by chance, have offered that young man and his family. Nothing is better than hope. Yah-ho for you! :D

Wow, Liz...I just love stories like this. We keep hearing them more and more. I am tempted now to interrupt everyone who is telling me of their latest illness, or that of their mother's, or son's, regardless of what it is, and say, "you know, you've got nothing to lose with trying the gluten-free diet, and the list of illnesses and diseases that it can alleviate is quite staggering".

...Now kidney disease..... :)

That's wonderful!! I'm so glad that his mother was willing to try it!! It gives me hope for my acquaintances that have children with autism. Maybe I shoud make them some gluten-free food/snack baskets and give it to them to try. When I've talked to them about it, they have both responded that it would be too much work for them.

I'm still excited and have to give an update. The other mom just called me to tell me that her son has shown signs of remission now for 6 straight days and the doctor told them on Friday that they could start slowly tapering him off his prednisone. She is totally thrilled. Another "coincidence" happened to her yesterday. She ran into an old friend that she hadn't seen for almost 20 years and discovered that this friend is totally gluten-free too. The friend gave her a big bag of gluten-free stuff for her son to try (different things than I had given her) and encouraged her to stick with it. Wow! She sees this as a confirmation that she's doing the right thing for her son.

Oh Liz,

I'm glad to hear that it seems to be working out for him. :)

I'd like to see more people with MCNS giving this a shot. Even though I haven't technically gone into remission, I've had so much improvement. I'm on the verge as my numbers are so low, I hardly qualify for Nephrotic Syndrome. And, I would swear that since my labs, I'm even closer.

I'm so happy for this boy - and what a relief it must be to be getting off that stupid Prednisone. Poor kid. Maybe it'll be a thing of the past.

Good for you, Liz