This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Here's A Recipe For Graham Crackers

hangininthere

hangininthere Apprentice

I thought graham flour was a separate grain unto itself, but when I looked it up to see if it was gluten-free, I found out it's a wheat flour that is just specially processed and was named after the guy who invented that process, Graham.

These graham crackers taste just like regular graham crackers, don't need graham flour at all.

Of course you have to be used to the taste of the guar gum or xanthan gum and the gluten-free flours, which I am now. (Wheat probably has a 'funny aftertaste' too, of course, when you're not used to it, haha.)

I use guar gum in everything, but xanthan gum is the same measurement I've read, and I use the same amount of guar gum in recipes that say xanthan gum, so I agree they're both interchangeable.

So glad to have graham crackers again. And these are so easy to make.

{I make my own flour mix and keep it on hand for certain recipes such as these graham crackers - I keep the flour mix in the freezer in a gallon-size zip-lock freezer baggie along with my other flours in the same size baggies, they stay fresh and they're immediately useable right out of the freezer}:

*FLOUR MIX

3 cups brown rice flour

1 cup potato starch flour

1/2 cup tapioca flour

GRAHAM CRACKERS

2 3/4 cups *flour mix

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon guar gum

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 cup butter

1/4 cup honey

1/3 cup milk

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Mix the dry ingredients together well

3. Cut in butter

4. Add the honey and milk

5. Mix together well til dough forms a soft firm ball

6. Roll dough into walnut size balls

7. Flatten to 1/8 inch thick on an ungreased cookie sheet

8. Prick each cracker several times with a fork.

9. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 12-15 minutes

10. Remove from oven and IMMEDIATELY GENTLY SLIDE EACH CRACKER TO BREAK THE BOND FROM THE PAN, THEN let COMPLETELY COOL ON COOKIE SHEET before removing - important so each cracker firms and sets because it will crumble if you remove it while it's still hot (or even cooled if you haven't slid cracker hot out of oven to break bond).

***My Personal Tips:

I use my hands to mix everything together each step of recipe.

And I use my hands to flatten the dough onto the cookie sheet, or sometimes a slotless hard plastic spatula I have, if I can get the dough not to stick to it, have to rub the dough on the spatula to grease it up sometimes so as not to stick.

Flatten the cracker dough to 1/8 inch thick, it looks real thin, but puffs up just right to the thickness of a graham cracker - don't want the crackers to bake up to be too thick and soft.

And be sure to remember to let the crackers cool completely on the cookie sheet after gently sliding each cracker immediately after removing from oven, so they'll set and firm up and not crumble when you remove them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Glutenfreefamily Enthusiast

Thanks so much :D

kenlove Rising Star

thanks much for this one! I usually dont commont on recipe topics but graham crackers are something I've missed a lot!

Ken

I thought graham flour was a separate grain unto itself, but when I looked it up to see if it was gluten-free, I found out it's a wheat flour that is just specially processed and was named after the guy who invented that process, Graham.

These graham crackers taste just like regular graham crackers, don't need graham flour at all.

Of course you have to be used to the taste of the guar gum or xanthan gum and the gluten-free flours, which I am now. (Wheat probably has a 'funny aftertaste' too, of course, when you're not used to it, haha.)

I use guar gum in everything, but xanthan gum is the same measurement I've read, and I use the same amount of guar gum in recipes that say xanthan gum, so I agree they're both interchangeable.

So glad to have graham crackers again. And these are so easy to make.

{I make my own flour mix and keep it on hand for certain recipes such as these graham crackers - I keep the flour mix in the freezer in a gallon-size zip-lock freezer baggie along with my other flours in the same size baggies, they stay fresh and they're immediately useable right out of the freezer}:

*FLOUR MIX

3 cups brown rice flour

1 cup potato starch flour

1/2 cup tapioca flour

GRAHAM CRACKERS

2 3/4 cups *flour mix

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon guar gum

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 cup butter

1/4 cup honey

1/3 cup milk

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Mix the dry ingredients together well

3. Cut in butter

4. Add the honey and milk

5. Mix together well til dough forms a soft firm ball

6. Roll dough into walnut size balls

7. Flatten to 1/8 inch thick on an ungreased cookie sheet

8. Prick each cracker several times with a fork.

9. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 12-15 minutes

10. Remove from oven and let COMPLETELY COOL ON COOKIE SHEET before removing - important so each cracker firms and sets because it will crumble if you remove it while it's still hot.

***My Personal Tips:

I use my hands to mix everything together each step of recipe.

And I use my hands to flatten the dough onto the cookie sheet, or sometimes a slotless hard plastic spatula I have, if I can get the dough not to stick to it, have to rub the dough on the spatula to grease it up sometimes so as not to stick.

Flatten the cracker dough to 1/8 inch thick, it looks real thin, but puffs up just right to the thickness of a graham cracker - don't want the crackers to bake up to be too thick and soft.

And be sure to remember to let the crackers cool completely on the cookie sheet so they'll set and firm up and not crumble when you remove them.

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

Thanks so much! One of my favorite fall cookies requires graham crackers! I'm so excited!

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

I remember after the birth of all my kids craving graham crackers and peanut butter. I've been missing them too. I'll try this - do you think I could use corn starch instead of potato starch? I have a hard time paying the price for the potato starch! :D

Also...there is a flour called GRAM flour which is okay...it's ground chickpea flour (I THINK) used in indian cooking. We have an Indian market around here that sells it. I haven't bought it yet. Says gluten free right on the bag.

hangininthere Apprentice

Oh Lord, I have to revise the directions in my above recipe, so sorry, dang it!

Whenever I've let the crackers cool on the cookie sheet before removing...

I've always - hot right out of the oven - very gently slid each cracker around to break the bond, then let it cool on pan.

Well, I just now baked a batch and tried not doing that, just left them sit and cool on cookie sheet.

They stuck to cookie sheet and totally crumbled when cooled on pan when I tried to gently slide them and when I tried to remove them with spatula!

I'll use that batch for graham cracker crust for my cheesecake, I'll freeze it til I get to store for cheesecake ingredients (never mind, I'm eating the broken pieces, it won't make it to cheesecake).

So I'm editing my original recipe above to include "gently slide each cookie hot out of the oven to break bond, then cool completely on cookie sheet before removing".

hangininthere Apprentice

I'm not sure about corn starch or not, it might work, don't know one way or the other, but I'll try it next batch since I'm out of potato starch now myself.

I accidentally made a batch with just rice flour and tapioca flour last week (followed the wrong recipe I was working on revising), and it tasted great, but broke too easy when I tried to eat them when first cooled, but after sitting in container all night they firmed up nicely.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

buffettbride Enthusiast

thanks for sharing this recipe! dd has been craving graham crackers and the ones we found gluten-free were nasty nasty nasty.

she loves eating graham crackers with jelly.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

This recipe looks great.

I also wanted to mention, for those who don't know, The Grainless Baker has phenomenal gluten free graham crackers. They are one of my favorite gluten-free products.

Yellow Rose Explorer

I have a hard time paying the price for the potato starch!

Have you gone to an Asian food market. I got potato starch for less than $1.50 a bag.

Yellow Rose

N.Justine Newbie

The best gluten free grahams I have ever had are from Azure Chocolat in NY -- they rock! Azure also has gluten free SMORES bars!

Archived