This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can Celiac Disease Effect Urine ?

Andy-oh

Andy-oh Rookie

Just a quick question i was wondering if Celiac disease can effect urine IE discolouration ?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Doll

No. Discolored urine can result from certain medications or food (i.e. beets or food coloring). Blood in the urine is another issue and should be taken seriously. If you think you may have blood in your urine, please see a doctor right away. Anything from infections to kidney stones to bladder cancer can cause this.

If you could give more details (i.e. are you having pain, when did this start, what is the exact color, etc.) that would help.

You could have a simple infection, or something more serious like a liver disorder. Usually it's nothing serious, but there are rare causes that do need urgent attention.

It is likely not from Celiac, with the rare exception of dark urine from you being severely dehydrated from vomiting/diarrhea.

Andy-oh Rookie

Thanks for the reply, i only get occasional dark urne so maybe i need to make sure i'm better hydrated, apparently you should drink 8 glasses of water a day, which i don't do.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Dark Urine can be a sign of dehydration as mentioned. However depending on your bodies choice of organs to impact the kidneys can be effected. You should have your doctor do a urinalysis to be on the safe side. My kidneys were effected by celiac, when glutened they bleed which can darken the urine. I also throw protein due to damage to the kidneys letting protein slip through the damaged organ and into my urine, it shows up as 'foamy' urine. That is now a constant for me even when not actively experiencing a glutening. It used to show up only when glutened, like blood does now, so I suspect if my celiac had been discovered before all the damage was done my kidneys would still be functioning at a normal level. My kidney function has improved greatly gluten-free though, clearly evident in the lack of edema I now have, except when glutened. Do check with your doctor about the urine issue, many do not think to test urine unless someone says something. I had gone literally years before anyone checked my urine, when at the end of my diagnosis journey of 15 years foamy pee was the least of my issues in my mind. I just never brought it up.

gfpaperdoll Rookie

I had constant bladder/kidney infections which were cleared up immediately when I went gluten-free. Well they got better when I went gluten light 15 years ago thinking I had an allergy to wheat. My urethers were so damaged they wanted to put in plastic ones - I refused. & thank God because a doctor friend of mine said that if I had let them do that, I would be dead by now.

& yes, you have to drink plenty of water each day.

Andy-oh Rookie
I had constant bladder/kidney infections which were cleared up immediately when I went gluten-free. Well they got better when I went gluten light 15 years ago thinking I had an allergy to wheat. My urethers were so damaged they wanted to put in plastic ones - I refused. & thank God because a doctor friend of mine said that if I had let them do that, I would be dead by now.

& yes, you have to drink plenty of water each day.

Gluten light ? does that mean you do consume some gluten ? but avoid over doing it ?

mommyagain Explorer

Gluten-light is what many of us did when we were told (or thought) that we had a wheat allergy... so, we cut out wheat, but still get gluten from other sources. Some people who think they are gluten free are really "gluten-light" because are getting gluten from hidden sources.

A GLUTEN-LIGHT DIET IS NOT AN EFFECTIVE TREATMENT FOR CELIAC!!! Most people who go gluten-light get SOME relief from their worst symptoms, but consuming any gluten at all will continue to damage your intestines. The only treatment/cure for celiac (or gluten-intolerance) is a 100% gluten-free diet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lonewolf Collaborator
My kidneys were effected by celiac, when glutened they bleed which can darken the urine. I also throw protein due to damage to the kidneys letting protein slip through the damaged organ and into my urine, it shows up as 'foamy' urine. That is now a constant for me even when not actively experiencing a glutening. It used to show up only when glutened, like blood does now, so I suspect if my celiac had been discovered before all the damage was done my kidneys would still be functioning at a normal level. My kidney function has improved greatly gluten-free though, clearly evident in the lack of edema I now have, except when glutened.

Wow, this is interesting. It sounds like you've possibly had Nephrotic Syndrome. Did you ever have high cholesterol, high blood pressure, pitting edema or elevated liver enzymes? I discovered on my own that going fanatically gluten-free "cured" me of the kidney problems I had. There is another poster her - Fajitas - who also has Nephrotic Syndrome and is doing better since going gluten-free.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Wow, this is interesting. It sounds like you've possibly had Nephrotic Syndrome. Did you ever have high cholesterol, high blood pressure, pitting edema or elevated liver enzymes? I discovered on my own that going fanatically gluten-free "cured" me of the kidney problems I had. There is another poster her - Fajitas - who also has Nephrotic Syndrome and is doing better since going gluten-free.

Did you ever have

high cholesterol- Unknown

high blood pressure- Yes although now it is down gluten-free but still not as low as my normal preceliac presentation

pitting edema - My edema was widespread but most severe in my abdomen (went from a pants size 12 to a 2 within a month gluten-free), hands and feet. It was not what they call pitting edema but it did increase my shoe size by a size and a half and my edema in my hands while sleeping was enough to raise my ring size two sizes it would cut my circulation if I wore rings to bed and even snapped a ring shank once.

elevated liver enzymes - Yes and this finding caused doctors to think for years I was a 'closet alcoholic' couldn't have been farther from the truth I would get so drunk off even alcohol free beer I could only have one or two.

Nephrotic syndrome is a definate possibility, but I am so done with doctors and their tests that as long as things are still functioning I am so not interested in any of their biopsies or anything else at this point that would 'diagnose' it. I only have pain in one kidney, and I do have two :D so until things get really bad I will just deal with it. Until doctors here become more celiac savvy and stop poisoning me every time I see them or diagnosing me with stuff just to push meds and keep me coming back for nothing other than their pockets (Can you tell being diagnosed as diabetic when I wasn't made me mad) I am done with them. If you might have knowledge of things I can do in respect to diet and such please fill me in. Right now I just push water, stay away from even gluten-free alcohol, avoid sugar alcohols and chemical additives etc. and when my pee gets real foamy or I get glutened and they bleed I try to eat protein light.

Archived