Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whitball

Ct Scan - Prep Ingredients - Make Sure You Know The Ingredients

I had a CT scan on Friday to look at my abdomen and pelvis. I have had significant pain after bowel movements during the last several months. I believe the pain is from adhesions as a result of having several abdominal surgeries. I was asked to drink some sort of fluid a few hours before the scan. It was only after drinking the first portion of the liquid that I started to feel sick that I remembered that I needed to make sure it was gluten free. I read the ingredientes and learned that it was produced in an area where wheat, soy and dairy was produced. Yes, the prep for a Ct can cause diarhea, but please make sure that you ask about the ingredients of the prep. I did not until it was too late. I began to get sick immediately and had diarhea throughout the entire procedure and for the next two days.

Dear whitball,

Thank you for posting this! That might explain why I got so ill after downing half of a bottle of the stuff before having an abdominal CT several years ago. They give you a barium sulfate solution. It is not tasty. I hope you feel better now.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Thanks for posting this, there are preps available that are gluten-free but you do have to be specific and ask for one. Another heads up is for folks that have DH. Make very sure they know you have DH before you allow them to inject you with contrast for any test. Someone with DH can have severe reactions to the injectable contrast they use. I don't know for sure but I think it is because of the iodine in it. They cancelled the injection for my CT because of my DH.

Dear ravenwoodglass,

I was injected with the iodine when I had my CT. The reason was I was unable to drink enough of the prep. I do not believe I broke out at the time from it. Now I seem to have what could be DH. Although it looks a lot like acne, it burns and itches even after it scabs over. I have it all down my back, neck, behind my ears, on my scalp, and my face.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

I had to do both, the iodine and the crappy tasting stuff that was supposed to taste like mixed berry. NoGlugal, I have not been diagnosed with DH, but I do have scabs on my scalp because my head itches alot, my hands itch with some soaps, is this how your skin reactions started?

Dear whitball,

I was given the iodine as well, after they found out I only was able to drink a half of one of the three bottles I was supposed to have taken for the prep. They said mine was vanilla flavored, but it was nowhere close in my opinion! :lol: I am a supertaster, so I would have tasted it had there been an actual flavor besides chalky! I do not see how people choke that stuff down. It made me queasy.

That is exactly how my rashes began! I was told I had eczema as a teenager. Scabs on my scalp and the eczema on my hands from soaps are what came at first. My face appeared to have acne, but now I think it is DH, due to it spreading on my back, neck, and a few other places. You may have DH, it is difficult to say without a biopsy. I do not have the money for one right now, so I do not know what I will do.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl