Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2kids4me

Good And Not So Good Relatives

Well today we celebrated Thanksgiving at my sister in law's place. she is absoutely great about gluten free. She made a gluten free dessert, had me bring the stuffing so it would for sure be "clean", another sister in law cooked a small turkey without stuffing at her house and saved the drippings so gluten-free gravy could be made. She also brought a salad but did not add the dressing to it until my kids could take some. (the dressing had worstershire sauce in it). It was planned as to who would bring what etc. Even had one table designated gluten free zone. There was 21 of us so needed more than one table! :o

So this sounds great ......until a third sister in law (this is all hubby's side of the family) shows up with a "choc fountain", a ham she cooked with some kind of glaze, and angel food cake. None of which was asked for... Her entire family was so ignorant about everything - brother in law dipped the angel food cake in the choc and in dragging it back to his open mouth he dripped choc across the bowl with the gluten-free dessert (contaminating it since the choc was drippin off the cake) :angry:

The hostess SIL was fit to be tied and my kids now can't have the gluten-free dessert or even try the choc dip thing (there was fruit for it too).......kids couldnt even have the fruit cause one of the younger boys dragged his dripping cake across the fruit tray - drip, drip, drip. :(

So many people trying so hard and ruined by inconsiderate ones! While it was being pointed out that my kids could no longer eat any of it and why - they just kept dipping and talking, not really caring.

Thanks for reading my vent - these big meals are hard enough without dealing with rudeness

Sandy

Guest Doll

Aww...sorry to hear about that! But you have to give props to your SIL. She tried! The sad reality is that while some of us are blessed with understanding (and competent!) families, many are not!

All I can suggest is that you bring and keep your own dessert/food etc. covered in the fridge. That way, you have a back up if someone does something idiotic. You may even have to feed yourself and the kids at a different table. Meaning in like another room in this case!

Other than that, hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving!

P.S. Vent all you like...we understand. ;)

P.P. S. I don't think this is *necessarily* JUST rudeness, it is also studpidity. ;) Somethings you just can't fix!

Argh! How awful that all that careful consideration and planning was ruined. I think I'd be livid! Hmm, maybe next year you could forget to invite them to dinner (wink!) You have my full sympathy....we've had experiences much like that with clueless family members.

Rho

It sounded like a gluten free fairy tale until you brought up the non-caring members. I think we all have them but my question is what to do with them!!!! I too, just might forget to invite them next year........I think some just like being ingorant......

Anyway, remember it is the thought of you & your other members who tried so hard to make the day pleasant for all..... focus on that part.... The word " thanksgiving"says it all.

Blessings to you & yours..mamaw

Sandy - it DID sound like a gluten-free fairy tale until those other eejits wrecked it! :angry:

I do hope that Christmas is better....

you know - you are much more diligent than I - I WOULD have put some fruit into the chocolate fountain! :o:ph34r: (of course, I"ve been known to cheat - intentionally :ph34r: - and have no reaction whatsoever, so do not listen to me!)

Yeah, bring your own yummy desert next time for the kids.

bah!

. . . You may even have to feed yourself and the kids at a different table. Meaning in like another room in this case!

Naaawww, I say you send the inconsiderate family members to the other room <_< . Quarantine them and their food . . . make them stand at the door of their room and ask for somebody to bring them something to eat. :lol: Tell them that until they can behave like considerate grown-ups, they can just stay in time-out in their own room. :lol:

OK - maybe not, but fun to visualize

Guest Doll

Hey...just thought of something...you might want to put some Ex-Lax in their little chocolate fountain next time. Then ask them how the meal was. ;) There's nothing like a pseudo-glutening to set someone straight!

OK, I'm mean today, I know....hehe

Best outcome? They all think *they* need to go gluten-free as well and only eat gluten-free from this point on. ;)

Hey...just thought of something...you might want to put some Ex-Lax in their little chocolate fountain next time. Then ask them how the meal was. ;) There's nothing like a pseudo-glutening to set someone straight!

Now let me remember, what is that line I always here...uh, oh yes... "Just a little bit won't hurt". :P