Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sprue that :)

Substitutes For Gluten/casein/soy Products

I'll be watching this thread, too. I have a recipe for a sour cream sub, but haven't tried it yet. No ideas for a cottage cheese sub, though.

Ricera brand yogurt is dairy free & gluten-free. I think the color leaves a lot to be desired & I don't eat it straight, but I really like it in smoothies and baking. http://www.ricerafoods.com/

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for casein/gluten/soy substitutes for cottage cheese, yogurt, sour cream ...

I can't help you with the cottage cheese or sour cream, but Ricera makes a rice based (casein/soy free) yogurt. See http://www.ricerafoods.com for more info.

I have used regular (not light) coconut milk as a sour cream substitute, especially if I don't shake the contents and just pour off the top, thickest part of the coconut milk can.

When I went gluten, casein, soy, egg, can sugar free, I explored all kinds of vegan protein source foods (like beans and rice, nut butters with gluten-free grains, etc.). So I don't miss cottage chese and yogurt.

BURDEE

Tofutti products are made out of soy ("tofu"tti).

Dear Horsegirl,

My wife, Carolyn has similar symptons to yours and has been gluten free for over one year. Her muscles are still very stiff and sore. I wonder if you have had any relief from pain and stiffness??

Many thanks,

Brian

Sometimes you just have to change your diet a bit (ok, a lot), if you need to avoid so many different foods. it woudl also help to know how you are using them. For a dip, avacado is a good sub for sour cream. In baking, you could use some soured rice milk but smaller quantity, and try adding apple sauce. Cottage cheese . . .dont ask me, its certainly not a dairy product I miss :D I'd be careful about the rice yoghurt depending on how sensitive you are - many alternative dairy products still have some dairy - either some added casien or the cultures are grown in milk or something like that.