This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Need Recipe For Carmel

gfgypsyqueen

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

Does anyone know a good recipe for carmel? I need one that is dairy free too.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor

I don't have the cookbook anymore so I can list the recipe or even check it out, but I know that maple syrup was used and probably cornstarch/arrowroot.....cooked until it changed color, constantly stirring. I believe the recipe was from the Micheff Sisters although it hadn't made it into a cookbook yet, it probably has by now. Their cookbooks are vegan and obviously not gluten free.

I don't know how much of an archive 3ABN has but it was from a show they did on there. You may want to check it out just so you can see the recipes and if that is listed among one of the shows. You'd have to look at all the shows the Micheff Sisters did.

~alex~ Explorer

You can make a simple caramel by dissolving sugar in water and then boiling off the water. It won't be a creamy sauce though if that is what you are looking for.

Here is a site that shows how to make candy apples. I am hoping to make them for Halloween. You could probably use their recipe for your caramel depending on what you need the caramel for.

Open Original Shared Link

Juliebove Rising Star
You can make a simple caramel by dissolving sugar in water and then boiling off the water. It won't be a creamy sauce though if that is what you are looking for.

Here is a site that shows how to make candy apples. I am hoping to make them for Halloween. You could probably use their recipe for your caramel depending on what you need the caramel for.

Open Original Shared Link

That's not the same as caramel. That's to make the red, hard candy coated apples.

I don't think caramels can be made that are dairy free since they are made of butter and milk or cream.

Guhlia Rising Star
Gluten-free Casein-free Caramel Apples

1/4 cup margarine

1 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup corn syrup or brown rice syrup

1/2 tsp vanilla

1/4 cup water

5 or 6 tart apples (with sticks)

1. In medium saucepan, melt margarine.

2. Stir in sugar, syrup, vanilla and water.

3. Bring mixture to a boil and keep boiling for about several minutesuntil a candy thermometer reads 245 F.

4. Remove caramel from heat. Put a Popsicle stick in the center ofeach apple. When the mixture has stopped bubbling, swirl each applein the caramel syrup to coat. Place apples on a well greased cookiesheet to harden.

The rest of the recipe including instructions is on Open Original Shared Link. The pictures look divine!

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

Thanks for the recipes and ideas.

I needed the carmel to be creamy and soft, not hard. It's for a layered graham cracker cookie. One of my favorites!!! I assume that using soy milk and dairy free butter or Crisco would change the way the traditional carmel comes out?? Maybe??

Gentleheart Enthusiast
Thanks for the recipes and ideas.

I needed the carmel to be creamy and soft, not hard. It's for a layered graham cracker cookie. One of my favorites!!! I assume that using soy milk and dairy free butter or Crisco would change the way the traditional carmel comes out?? Maybe??

I make a nice caramel by substituting organic coconut milk for the cream and extra virgin coconut oil for the butter in a normal caramel recipe. Works for me. I've used agave syrup in that recipe successfully too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lorka150 Collaborator

I just use my pre-gluten and casein-free recipe and sub vegan and safe versions. I made condensed milk from scratch and use that.

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

This must be a rediculous question, but....how do you make condensed milk?

lcbannon Apprentice

Easy way to make a soft caramel is to cut top off can of sweetend condensed milk, set it in a pan of water and bring it to a boil (the water) the milk will carmilize. Have forgotton how long to do it, but should be on net or you will be able to tell by looking.

Archived