Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Glutenfreefamily

Personality Disorder

Does anyone had good books on this subject? A few of my aunt's have been diagnosed with it and my grandpa had it. I have a feeling my mom does too looking up on the subject but I couldnt discuss it with her. She would be offended and not listen to my concerns at all.

Any help on this would be appreciated, we dont have a good relationship. Its mostly on my part since she feels everything is fine and well I do not and I would like better ways to deal with her and her mood swings.

Guest Doll
Does anyone had good books on this subject? A few of my aunt's have been diagnosed with it and my grandpa had it. I have a feeling my mom does too looking up on the subject but I couldnt discuss it with her. She would be offended and not listen to my concerns at all.

Any help on this would be appreciated, we dont have a good relationship. Its mostly on my part since she feels everything is fine and well I do not and I would like better ways to deal with her and her mood swings.

Define what you mean by "personality disorder"....do you mean Bipolar Disorder? Or Boarderline Personality Disorder? There is LOADS of info on the web about BPD...just google the term.

Hope this helps a little.

IF you mean borderline personality disorder there are some really great books out there including self-help workbooks. Try I Hate you, Don't Leave Me and Stop Walking On Eggshells. They both gave me a ton of insight into the illness.

Of course, all of the above personality disorders could easily be caused by undiagnosed celiac disease.

Her personality fits with borderline personality disorder except I wouldnt call her impulsive. Her self harm is picking scabs, zits and sores to the point of bleeding. She has really bad scars on her upper arms for it and refuses to wear short sleeve tops. Im sure she has gluten intolerance but she will not even try the diet neither will my dad. They say they are going to and do it for family get togethers since my family and my sister's family are gluten free but they never stick to it. Both me and my sister have a double gene. I love her dearly but she is as stubborn as a billy goat (along with my dad) and she is very hard to have a conversation with.

Everything changes right in the middle of conversations even her voice changes sometimes. It's like she picks up an accent sometimes. It seems like she just loves to argue but I think its much deeper than that, she will contradict herself multiple times in the same conversation. Her memory is bad and she will steadily forget what she says and not believe it when you tell her. Her family was horrid, honestly my grandpa did do his best but he came from a much more messed up family and brought some of it with him and it went down the line.

I was DX'ed Borderline about 3 years ago now. I agree with all of the books that were listed, but also, look into Dialectic Behavorial Therapy. That program saved my LIFE!!! What some people don't understand is that it isn't about REFUSAL to handle stuff "correctly", but about not knowing how!! I NEVER learned how do function w/o cutting (I started when I was 11), screaming, yelling, manipulating, etc etc. I just didn't KNOW. The premise of the program is to teach you the skills you just somehow missed.

AND within 2 weeks of going gluten-free my MAJOR mood swings were just GONE.

Sorry you have to go through this.

I can see this with my mom. She does not know how to handle conflict at all. My dad has always just gave in 99% of the time since discussing doesn't work with my mom. Her parents never got along and were always yelling and never settled anything. My grandpa was very controlling and mentally abusive at times, and very insecure. My mom doesnt understand boundaries and she cannot discuss anything so she just goes quiet and expects it to go away and to keep the peace I have always learned to just let things go with her, I think it goes back to her childhood and when they would scream she would just be quiet since nobody ever argued or disagreed with my grandpa. I do believe she tries but she just was never shown how to and had horrible examples.

I love her so much that I can look past this but I know its got to be miserable for her and I wish I could help her but she would be to embarased to think of her having emotional problems. She has been on anxiety and depression pills for awhile and they do help a little but not great. My mom is very manipulative with everything. She honestly doesnt believe people can see through it but then her guilt kicks in. I cant imagine what its like sometimes to be in her head.

Thanks Adelle I will look into it :)