Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

k-amy32

Can Gluten Contamination Elevate Liver Enzymes?

When I first started eating gluten free my liver enzymes were elevated (moderately). My doctor put me on an herbal liver support and told me to continue with the gluten free diet. 4 weeks later a re-check of my enzymes showed they were back to normal. It's been 2 months since and they are now elevated again. I eat a strict gluten free diet but do eat some occasional Fritos or cocoa pebbles which I thought were gluten free...

Anyway, if I were getting glutened some how could that raise them? By the way our whole house is gluten free.Is it normal for them to bounce around like that? I don't see the doctor again until the end of the month. I still have the big "d" about once or twice a week but it has improved a lot since going gluten free. Any input would be much appreciated!! Thank you!

When I first started eating gluten free my liver enzymes were elevated (moderately). My doctor put me on an herbal liver support and told me to continue with the gluten free diet. 4 weeks later a re-check of my enzymes showed they were back to normal. It's been 2 months since and they are now elevated again. I eat a strict gluten free diet but do eat some occasional Fritos or cocoa pebbles which I thought were gluten free...

Anyway, if I were getting glutened some how could that raise them? By the way our whole house is gluten free.Is it normal for them to bounce around like that? I don't see the doctor again until the end of the month. I still have the big "d" about once or twice a week but it has improved a lot since going gluten free. Any input would be much appreciated!! Thank you!

Just to let you know I started gluten free in July after I got my test results back.

Guest Doll

Yes, untreated Celiac/gluten exposure can cause abnormal liver enzymes. Normally these DO improve once gluten free. If they return, there may be something else at work. Unfortunately, those with Celiac are more prone to developing autoimmune liver disease.

However, your elevated enzymes may also just be an unrelated and/or temporary thing. Double check all sources of CC, and keep working with your doctor.

Are you insulin resistant? Elevated insulin levels, not necessarily elevated blood sugar, can cause your liver levels to be high.

Really? I didn't know that! I am insulin resistant...thanks for sharing!

Amy- I read an article about liver enzymes and Celiac...on the national listserv...it was a while back though. Have you tried google-ing it? I know there are studies out there....

Really? I didn't know that! I am insulin resistant...thanks for sharing!

Amy- I read an article about liver enzymes and Celiac...on the national listserv...it was a while back though. Have you tried google-ing it? I know there are studies out there....

Thank you for all of your replies. I have read articles that state that it is pretty common for those with celiac to have elevated liver enzymes especially in the beginning. I was just curious if it was common for them to go up and down. They also did a high sensitive CRP level which indicates inflammation. This time it was 12.6 (normal is less than 1) 2 months ago is was 8? I am very confused as I thought I was getting better. I feel a lot better than I have in years. Here is hoping I guess....

Thanks again to all!

Amy

Guest Doll
Thank you for all of your replies. I have read articles that state that it is pretty common for those with celiac to have elevated liver enzymes especially in the beginning. I was just curious if it was common for them to go up and down. They also did a high sensitive CRP level which indicates inflammation. This time it was 12.6 (normal is less than 1) 2 months ago is was 8? I am very confused as I thought I was getting better. I feel a lot better than I have in years. Here is hoping I guess....

Thanks again to all!

Amy

Inflammation is common in those with autoimmunity. You might want to use anti-inflammatory supplements like Omega 3 EFA and Folic Acid and follow an anti-inflammatory (gluten-free version) diet. Follow up with your doctor as well.