This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Here And New-ish To Celiac.

missquarejane

missquarejane Rookie

hi there everyone, i'm a mom to a fantastic little boy who we believe has celiac... and now after dealing with his symptoms, i am beginning to believe that my daughter also has an issue with wheat.

my son stopped gaining weight around 5 to 6 months old... right around the time that he started eating his first solids. he did not gain more than an ounce a month until he was a year old and had been put on a strict gluten-free diet for 2 months. now at 15 months he weighs what his sister did at 10 months... but for him, this is a major feat.

i am exhausted. i'm frustrated by how little is known out there about celiac unless someone's life is already touched by it. i'm tired of asking if something has wheat in it in a restauraunt and having people brush it off like it is nothing, or worse, they have NO idea at all. i am irritated by how many things for babies contain wheat when there is no good reason to put it in there. (i believe my son was first exposed to wheat by eating an infant snack) ... so BOY am i ever happy i found you all!

thanks for listening to me vent. i promise i will be much nicer from now on! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shan Contributor

Hiya! at least you found the answer and that he has grown and thrived on the diet! Did you make your whole house gluten free? if not how do you keep him from putting stuff in his mouth?!

TupsGirl Newbie

Hi there,

I just gave birth to a beautiful little girl named Lucy and am anxiously nervously awaiting to see if she has this disease too. I hope she doesn't, but if she does I have learned a lot in the last two years - the same way you have, from others with the same problem. The great thing is besides knowing what the problem is, they are making more and more food options every day and more and more companies and restaurants are labeling their food or making gluten free menus. I went to Disney World last year and cried when they brought out special, warm gluten free rolls for me. The chef came out and spoke to me extensively about my meal options and it was so nice to be able to eat and not worry. If I can be of any assistance. Please let me know.

-Tups Girl

mama2two Enthusiast
hi there everyone, i'm a mom to a fantastic little boy who we believe has celiac... and now after dealing with his symptoms, i am beginning to believe that my daughter also has an issue with wheat.

my son stopped gaining weight around 5 to 6 months old... right around the time that he started eating his first solids. he did not gain more than an ounce a month until he was a year old and had been put on a strict gluten-free diet for 2 months. now at 15 months he weighs what his sister did at 10 months... but for him, this is a major feat.

i am exhausted. i'm frustrated by how little is known out there about celiac unless someone's life is already touched by it. i'm tired of asking if something has wheat in it in a restauraunt and having people brush it off like it is nothing, or worse, they have NO idea at all. i am irritated by how many things for babies contain wheat when there is no good reason to put it in there. (i believe my son was first exposed to wheat by eating an infant snack) ... so BOY am i ever happy i found you all!

Hi, I hear your frustration and I spend many days frustrated too, my daughter is 5 and has been gluten free since june 07, she has had great response to the diet, we still don't know whether or not she has celiac or not, but I really believe she needs to stay gluten free. I am just hoping that as more people learn about celiac and the ill affects of gluten that more research will be done, more docs will be educated and one day many regular grocery items will be gluten-free. I wanted to share with you 2 new crackers we have discovered, one is a glutino brand cracker, they are "ritz" like and they are good, the other is jo-sef crackers that are like graham crackers, with cinamin and honey, my kids really like them. We have to hang in there educate others and support one another. I am currently trying to find others in my community that are also gluten free, I wish someone would start a support group, but I don't have the time to. Our nearest support group is an hr away, but we are planning to attend the Nov meeting. Good luck with your little ones.

mouth Enthusiast

GO AHEAD AND VENT WE ALL DO AT SOME TIME OR ANOTHER..

OK HERE ARE THINGS TO LOOK FOR ON THE LABEL..

WHEAT

DUMUM

SEMOLINA

FARINA

TRICUM

RYE

BARLEY

OATS - THIS IS BECASUE THERE IS USUALLY CROSS CONTAMINATION UNLESS U BUY gluten-free.

THESE ARE THE BASICS.. READ THE LABELS CALL THE COMPANIES SEND EMAILS

FIND A ROCK GROUP.

GET SOME BOOKS TO READ

GLUTEN FREE FOR DUMMIES IS A GOOD STARTING POINT I THINK- MY DAUGHTER WAS DIAGNOSED FINALLY IN JANUARY OF THIS YEAR

IT IS VERY TRICKY AND CAN BE VERY EXPENSIVE TO EAT.. BUT STICK TO IT.. THERE ARE SOME FOODS THAT ARE NOT LISTED AS gluten-free BUT CAN BE. JUST CK EVERYTIME YOU BUY IT

MEDICATIONS DO COUNT MAKE SURE THEY ARE SAFE ... HAVE THE DR CALL THE MANUFACTURER AND YOU GET A SAFE LIST MADE.. JUST BECAUSE A BRAND NAME MAY BE GLUTEN FREE DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE GENERIC IS SAFE..

OK I AM OVER LOADING YOU WITH THINGS. IF YOU WANT A BASIC SAFE LIST OF FOODS SEND ME A NOTE.. I AM HERE TO HELP JUST LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE DOES..

VVVVVVVVV GL LYNN

Archived