Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shawn

Bad Doctor Advice? Blood Tests

My doctor told me I should get a blood test to determine for sure whether I have celiac. The problem? He is an allergist, and told me it didn't matter that I was off gluten for a year - the results would be the same either way. I'm wondering if he knows what he's talking about? Everything I'd read says the tests will only read positive if there was gluten in the diet.

So , what's the truth? I don't want to have to eat gluten before taking another test (but I'll eat a donut or two if I absolutely have to!)

Thank you for your help,

Shawn

You need to have a steady diet of gluten in order for blood tests to be accurate, so you would need to do a "gluten challenge" of several months before any tests via blood or biopsy. You'd need more than just a donut or two, for sure!

It's said that the stool testing is accurate for up to a year post-gluten-free diet.

You could also request a gene test to see if you are predisposed to Celiac disease as well, without reintroducing gluten.

You'd also have to check and see if he was intending on performing an antibody test, or a DNA test. Just "blood test" is a little vague; he almost certainly means antibody, but he could mean he wants to check for the gene.

If he wants to run the full Celiac panel (antibodies), then the results are skewed because you are gluten free. You have to be eating gluten in decent amounts for months for the tests to be accurate.

You can always have the gene test run, regardless of gluten status.

I'd contact his office for clarification.