This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celebrities With Celiac?

lauderdalehawk44

lauderdalehawk44 Apprentice

I was just recently diagnosed with celiac and have been on my diet for about a week. I was just wondering if their are any famous people or celebrities that are known to have celiac disease?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
seeking-wholeness Explorer

Amazingly, I can't think of anyone famous who has celiac disease (or at least admits to it)! You may already have heard this, but some experts strongly suspect that JFK had celiac disease, in addition to Addison's disease (another autoimmune condition, I believe) and maybe some other problems.

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Rich Gannon the football player has a daughter with Celiac. He does quite a few publicity things for the disease. You may have heard of Danielle's Decadent chocolate cake mix, it is named after his daughter.

Also Elizabeth Hasselback, new co-host on "The View" talkshow and also a Survivor contestant is possibly a Celiac. She has mentioned several things on air that lead people to believe that she is.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

lauderdalehawk44 Apprentice

I had heard something about Rich Gannon I also heard that Joe C (the little guy pardon if I offend) who used to hang out with Kid Rock passed away from celiac disease.

angel-jd1 Community Regular

You are very right, Joe C did have celiac disease. Here is a link about him: Open Original Shared Link

-Jessica

calico jo Rookie

Thanks for sharing that link, it was interesting. It says he succumbed to celiac disease. I really don't understand how he died from it, unless he didn't stop eating gluten. Can we die from this?

kejohe Apprentice

I would also like to know how he died from celiac... I have never heard of that. I know all about the complications cauzed by untreated celiac disease, and that some of them can be fatal, but never the celiac itself. I would guess that he had a few other issues in addition to the celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PastorDave

In regards to dying from Celiac's, it almost took my mother. If it goes undiagnosed, then eventually the body will stop absorbing nutrients. That's what the villi are for. My mom was literally starving to death, she even looked malnourished, was loosing her hair, bloated stomach, everything. I am so glad that her doctor finally got her on the right track, and she should live alot longer now that she is gluten-free. From all the research my wife (who is an RN) did, a Gluten Free diet is the only "cure" we need to avoid death. So it doesn't seem so bad when I think about how much I miss Subway sandwiches. :(

rsavage Newbie
B) I was really looking forward to posts about celebs. However couldn't help but post a response. My mom and grandma passed away from celiac. It was never diagnosed. My mom died of dehydration. The intestine becomes so permable that water cannot be retained. My doctor had given up on me because I was in the hospital at least once a week w/dehydration. Lets get every celiac diagnosed and become celebs our selves. Lots of love, Royann
Guest aramgard

Yes Royann, We are a hardy bunch to survive our current medical system. I firmly believe my Paternal grandmother and several of my uncles had Celiac. Also, my Maternal grandfather died of liver cancer and never drank alcohol in his life. It seems the medical community really needs to catch up with diagnosing this disease in it's early stages, instead of just allocating us to the hypochondriacs of the world and dismissing us at first. It took them 50 years to diagnose me and the testing was my idea. If we could just get the press to put this disease to the forefront like diabetes, cancer, etc., perhaps it would help push forward early diagnosis and help heal a lot of people. Shirley

Kim Explorer

According to what I've read, the average time to diagnose celiac disease in the US is 11 years, in Europe, it's 3 weeks. So, I agree, we need to educate people, including the medical community.

There is apparently a radio talk show host in Chicago who is celiac disease as well, but I don't know that for a fact.

debmidge Rising Star

Hi All! Why would celebrities keep Celiac Disease a secret? It's not like it's a communicable disease nor would it be something that would keep them from getting work. On the contrary, it would keep them in the news as a positive thing , i.e., helping to work towards the good of average Joe celiac person. It would put Celiac Disease in the national forefront - more than any magazine article could. With celebrities being vegans, gluten free would be only another type of diet - much more serious than vegan diet, as that seems to be optional in life. All the celebrities have whims which means that there are things that they MUST have in their dressing rooms or they won't do the movie or show - why not a gluten free celeb? The time has come!

• 4 weeks later...
outthere39 Rookie

I think that celiacs, though not communicable, may still make others feel uncomfortable. I personally see your point, but I can deifinitely see why others, celebs included, would not want the world to know. People, mostly due to ignorance, act strangely to what they do not know. That can attract unwanted attention. But I do believe as well that all caliacs must fight for us to get our messages across.

Richard

Wilmington, NC

tbell48 Newbie

Can you die from Celiac disease? My Doctor said no! But, if left untreated you can die from the diseases it causes.

The Villa is there to protect your organs from forming tumors and cysts. When the Villa is destroyed, then these tumors and cysts can grow and attach to vital organs, causing forms of cancer. Bowel, Thyroid, Lymphoma and etc. We believe this is how I lost my Mother and Sister, because they didn't know they had Celiac, and the Cancer was formed.

I have had cysts and tumors removed for the past 14 years, and finally found a new GI Doctor who knew what he was looking at. Hopefully, my prognoisis will be better as the years go on, as my Villa has almost been destroyed over my 55 years with Celiac .

I am not quoting text, or begin to know all the answers(Don't even know if this information is correct), just going by what the Doctor has related to me. I just know in 55 years of life, since starting the gluten-free diet, I am feeling alive once again!

Bless you all

Theresa

Guest aramgard

Theresa, My villa were also almost destroyed over the 53 years from my first symptoms of the dermatitis until I finally did almost die from malnutrition. In years past people did die from Celiac disease, because they could no longer digest food and everything just went right through. They simply did not know how to treat the problem and in some ways doctors still don't know how to treat the problem, because they cannot properly diagnose it. I'm glad you are feeling much better. Shirley

Guest perfect

My grandfather died of colon cancer at 63, and my great grandmother died of colon cancer at the age of 58. It does seem like celiac disease can kill a person at a somewhat young age when it goes undiagnosed.

I felt like I was on the way to my grave before I went gluten-free at the age of 43.

Any Senators out there with celiac disease? That sure would change things for us. How about we get Shirley to run for Senate? I would vote for her! :lol:

Thomas :D

Guest aramgard

Thomas, Are you the traveling Thomas from the old message board? I'll pass on the senate, but it is a really good idea if we got some senators and legislators diagnosed with celiac disease. They'd probably throw me out long before my term was over, if I ever got in to the senate, because I really believe they need a mirror to see what's happening to our medical system. Nobody in power wants to really address a change in our system of medicine because they are afraid of the cost. But has anyone ever checked to see what the cost of not changing it really is? How about the loss of productivity because many of us are ill and cannot afford either to go to the doctor or the medication or tests after we go to the doctor? Most of us older citizens are delegated to buying old, outdated generic medicines because we cannot afford the brand names. Many people have no medical insurance and cannot afford to ever go to the doctor unless they are dying, then they go to the emergency room. But if they had preventative care they would not need such expensive care as the emergency room. There I go again on my soap box, getting nowhere. Southern California is sunny right now but it is supposed to rain this afternoon and after only 4 1/2 " of rain in our rain year, we are doing a rain dance. Shirley

Guest perfect

Hi Shirley,

Too bad you won't run for senate. Oh well, maybe we can find another sucker for the job. :P Maybe we can just make you into a famous person. Then you can be our celiac disease spokesperson. :D

I screwed up my last account, and now it doesn't work, so now I'm Perfect (I have to do all my spell checking on WordPerfect). Maybe I should of added travel to the name? Oh well, we're having another perfectly wonderful day here in Bryan, Texas.

Let

EmilyP2004 Newbie

I suppose when celiac disease is better known about more people (and therefore more famous people) will become diagnosed.

Please see :

Open Original Shared Link

zippyten Newbie

I think the celebrity category is the place to put this -- it's just an observation. I'm wondering if anyone is also a Sopranos watcher. This week's episode had Adrianna having bad stomach trouble and the doctor asking her if she's "under stress" (very typical! been there) and then diagnosing her with IBS...made me wonder if she really has celiac instead. :P

It was just amusing, especially the scene where she tries to give details to her boyfriend Christopher (about getting a stool sample, etc.) and he is totally unsympathetic and grossed out. At least it raises public awareness about IBS...

KayJay Enthusiast

I was watching Dr. Phil the other day and his wife Robin said she stopped eating Gluten but to help lose or maintain her weight. I thought that would be an odd thing to stop eating if you didn't have celiac. I wonder if she has it? Did anyone see that one?

kayla

Guest LisaB

Kayla,

Yes I saw that, but I'm not sure, my sister-in-law also got on a kick of cutting out gluten but knew nothing about Celiac at the time. She is one to alter her diet from stuff she reads on staying in shape, so I am thinking that there is something going on out there in referrence to that. The way that Robin stated that sounded to me like she felt it was just an excepted healthy thing to do for everyone. Not sure but that was how it seemed to me.

• 2 weeks later...
faithladene Rookie

I was watching Dr. Phil, some months ago, and his wife mentioned she eats gluten free. So, I was thinking she had Celiac Sprue disease, but, I can't know, for sure.

Faith

• 2 weeks later...
dana-g Newbie

Former State of Mass Lieutenant Gov. Jane Swift; Katherine, Dutchess of Kent; actor Terence Stamp (Star Wars Episode 1); Lady Antonia Frasier, noted author of historical novels; actress Amanda Donohoe (LA Law)...as for me, I'm gluten-free three months now and embracing life for the first time! My 11-year-old daughter was diagnosed this week and she's the best reason I have for maintaining a positive attitude toward a gluten-free lifestyle...with all its glorious ups and downs! And there are plenty of both! This site is a lifeline...thanks to all who take the time to contribute. Hang in there everybody. Now I know I'm not alone! Dana

Jo Ann Apprentice

Heard Dr. Phil's wife Robyn say she did not eat gluten and wondered, too, if she had Celiac. Sent an e-mail to his website, but did not receive a reply. Mickey Redmon, former pro hockey player, who now does hockey commentary for Fox Sports out of Detroit has said he is celiac disease. He mentioned having to forego the donuts, etc. the other broadcasters enjoy.

Archived