This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celebrities With Celiac?

lauderdalehawk44

Canadian Karen Community Regular

What kind of dog was she? Was she purebred?

I have a dopey golden. I have had a dog my whole life. Chihuahua, then golden, then golden, then Maltese, then another golden! Kinda love my goldens!

My current golden Buddy used to have a problem in the morning. He used to frequently hack up/throw up yellow bile in the morning. Vet said he just had a sensitive stomach that, when empty, would cause him to do that. So I get up earlier every morning to make sure he's fed REALLY early, and he still does it. So, being celiac, I figure it might be a gluten thing, and start him on a food that has no wheat in it. He hasn't done it since...... ;)

Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
cultureslayer Rookie

Auster was a German shepherd. She was a mix of mostly W. German showlines and some pre-split Shiloh. I'll never own another showlines dog again. After seeing the difference between the working lines and mixed breeds, I am never going back to show. You average shelter dog is far healthier and more stable. I still loved her though.

She responded really well to raw. Had she not bloated again in a year or two she might have been healed enough to go mostly raw and then I have a feeling her other problems would have improved.

Avoderm and Cal. Natural are great sensitive tummy foods. Blackwood and Sensible choice make good ones too.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
My current golden Buddy used to have a problem in the morning. He used to frequently hack up/throw up yellow bile in the morning. Vet said he just had a sensitive stomach that, when empty, would cause him to do that. So I get up earlier every morning to make sure he's fed REALLY early, and he still does it. So, being celiac, I figure it might be a gluten thing, and start him on a food that has no wheat in it. He hasn't done it since...... ;)

Karen

Hmmm. Our Buddy, a yellow Lab, is a vomiter. Not all the time...just once in a while, but usually in the morning if he hasn't eaten. Sometimes we'll go to the off leash, and he hasn't eaten, and as soon as we get back he'll take a long drink and then go hack away in the backyard. What kind of food do you give your Buddy? We use Natural Choice (blue bag), Milk Bone cookies and sometimes Dentabone.

Sorry this is completely off topic-Neither Buddy nor I are celebrities, but I work in a tv newsroom, and some of the people there think they are celebrities.

cultureslayer Rookie

If you want to do an elimination diet, California Natural is absolutely the way to go. Avoderm is a good sensitive stomach food, followed by sensible choice. Nutro NAtural is better than most, but you can do a lot better too. I found a combo of home cooked ground turkey (70 cents a lb at aldi), rice, Cal. Natural, and some raw to be the best combo of convenience and price.

It's a little more pricey than what you buy now, but with a healthier dog and feeding less it's a whole lot cheaper in the long run. California Natural kicks Science Diet ID's ($$$ Rx food) butt when it comes to digestability too.

If you've got a dog with a slightly stronger stomach then Chicken Soup brand is the way to go. I put a foster on that and a combo of raw and he healed from being hit by a car so fast that a few rescue people joked about me putting him on steroids or something :). 5 weeks after his pelvis was fractured (hit by car) it was impossible to slow him down. The transformation from crawling around the pound to rocket dog was amazing.

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

--

Hmmm. Our Buddy, a yellow Lab, is a vomiter. Not all the time...just once in a while, but usually in the morning if he hasn't eaten. Sometimes we'll go to the off leash, and he hasn't eaten, and as soon as we get back he'll take a long drink and then go hack away in the backyard. What kind of food do you give your Buddy? We use Natural Choice (blue bag), Milk Bone cookies and sometimes Dentabone.

Sorry this is completely off topic-Neither Buddy nor I are celebrities, but I work in a tv newsroom, and some of the people there think they are celebrities.

Natural Choice (blue bag) is exactly the same dog food that made Buddy vomit up bile. Once I finally took him off that and changed him to Performatrin Ultra Chicken & Brown Rice Formula (it's hormone free, no artificial preseratives, flavour or colours, no animal by-products or rendered animal fats, no wheat or corn by-products). It's in a gold/bronze colour bag (think autumn shades).

Ever since the day I changed him to this food, he hasn't vomited up once!

Terry didn't want to change food because we were on that "Buy 10 bags and get one free" thing - I didn't care about losing out on that, I just wanted Buddy to get better! Terry didn't think it was the food, but I suspected a wheat thing. I love it when I'm right! :lol:

By the way, it was the morning too that Buddy always did it, before his breakfast when he had an empty stomach.

Hugs.

Karen

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Well Crap!! I guess I'll have to "wish" celiac onto another celeb haha!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

YES, you are right he is... The wedding to Bride-B*tchzilla was [called off]. We are so happy! The band just got back a few weeks ago from a Euro-tour and daddyO flew home to spend a few weeks with him, and then the band left on Tuesday on another USA tour.

AND, only one big problem he and daddyO are NOT CELIAC's they've been tested.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 4 weeks later...

--

laurelfla Enthusiast

hi, guys!

my mom called me a few weeks ago and said that Elisabeth Hasselbeck of The View had mentioned making a gluten-free cake. but she wasn't sure of the details. did anyone catch that episode or have any more information? perhaps it's already been covered here but i read back a few pages and didn't see anything specific on her. thanks!

Laurel.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

I think there was a whole thread about it, but she was called Elizabeth Hasselhoff, and the original poster couldn't change the title.

Lister Rising Star

its interesting that it says Joe c has had celiac all of his life " so diagnosed since birth" so if he stuck to the diet his death was not from celiac itself but from something else. becacuse he was caught incrediably early and the diet would have fixd the damages so really his death must have been something else celiac does not kill unless left untreated or caught way to late. atleast i think i am correct on this one

-

Guest Viola

Actually, some of us work hard locally to get the disease known. Three of us here (Winlaw, Fruitvale & Rossland) arrange "Celiac dinners" using a restaurant in a different area every time. We always put a write up in the paper, sometimes with a picture of us sitting, enjoying a "safe" dinner and thanking the last restaurant we were at. The restaurants are spread over a large area 'Nelson, Castlegar, Trail, Rossland, Salmo etc.... The advertizing and write-ups go out to 11 communities. We've even got doctors clinics asking that we put posters up about where the next one is happening, so they can encourage new Celiacs to attend.

You are right that I don't send too many letters out of the area, although I've done Oprah over the years and never so much as got an answer back. But I assure you, Celiac disease is getting very well known in this area. :P

Kim UPST NY Apprentice

Posh Spice From the spice girls has Celiac and She is always having Babies , Celebrities with Celiac are lucky They have Chefs Cooking for them . Unlike us We stuggle every day reading labels and braving Fast food places at lunch Time

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Posh Spice From the spice girls has Celiac and She is always having Babies , Celebrities with Celiac are lucky They have Chefs Cooking for them . Unlike us We stuggle every day reading labels and braving Fast food places at lunch Time

Wow! Posh spice has it? Did not kow. Also, don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet, but the actress Emmy Rossum. She'll be in the upcoming Poseidon movie...

mommida Enthusiast

Did Audrey Hepburn have Celiac? She was reported to have suffered malnourishment from war induced famine as a child. (During this time in history the famine actually helped determine the gluten was the problem for Celiacs)

The scene from Breaksfast at Tiffany's was extremely difficult for her because she had to eat a danish. She begged and pleaded to eat something else because she knew the danish would make her sick and walked off the set when the director would not budge. The next day she apologized for her outburst did the scene nibbling on the danish - and promptly became sick - just like she said she would. I think filming was put on hold for about 3 days because of her health.

In later years when anoxeria was becoming more well known and she was under suspiction, she said she had a rare disease that caused malabsorbtion. (They said it was caused by her starvation as a child.)

L.

Guest nini
Did Audrey Hepburn have Celiac? She was reported to have suffered malnourishment from war induced famine as a child. (During this time in history the famine actually helped determine the gluten was the problem for Celiacs)

The scene from Breaksfast at Tiffany's was extremely difficult for her because she had to eat a danish. She begged and pleaded to eat something else because she knew the danish would make her sick and walked off the set when the director would not budge. The next day she apologized for her outburst did the scene nibbling on the danish - and promptly became sick - just like she said she would. I think filming was put on hold for about 3 days because of her health.

In later years when anoxeria was becoming more well known and she was under suspiction, she said she had a rare disease that caused malabsorbtion. (They said it was caused by her starvation as a child.)

L.

Interesting. Would certainly lead one to believe that she had it.

I also remember reading something about President Kennedy? Was that in this thread or somewhere else?

-

Guest Viola
Viola -- Thank you for your help. Every little bit helps all of us.

mommida -- Where did you find those facts about Audrey? Very interesting to say the least. I tried to pull it up (goggle) and I found nothing. Are you an insider in the film industry? It all makes sence how skinny and frail she was. Did you read it in a book? Is it a rumor or fact?

I just googled what you wrote about Audrey and this is what it pulled up. Don't think it has anything to do with her. Who is this person?

Open Original Shared Link

Couldn't find much on Audrey, but did find a lot of young kids and 20+ year-olds on my space with blogs about celiac disease. I was a little shocked at the content of some of these kids blogs. Where are their parents? Don't they watch the news?

There are a few in numbers of us celiac's that are active in a seach to get us all help through a spokesperson, instead of being a star-gazer here in cyberspace. I honestly feel some say they are celiac's because it's become trendy to be gluten free. Celiac du jour? I call them Celiac wanna-be's.

Open Original Shared Link

It is scary about the content of some kids blogs isn't it! I just wish more parents would check their kids computer content.

Thanks for the link to that article on Celiac center.org! It's good to see someone working on it, and football players tend to be listened to in the US. Here in Canada, it is generaly hockey players...just need to have one with Celiac Disease :rolleyes:

Anyway these people look like they are serious about finding someone to help us. Take a look.

tarnalberry Community Regular
Honestly I'm not sure what this group will do if they even found a celebrity for our cause.

I feel like there are only a small few of us that write letters do reseach, write to manufactures, or speak to people to get the word out about celiac disease. THAT IS WHY NOTHING IS BEING DONE! It is a shame. I just think more should stand up and offer to help. If everyone finds excuses and does NOTHING. Nothing will get done. I have asked for help in several of these projects and no one seems to want to help. I have been on a mission the last 5 years. I spend most all my days since in some way to help celiac disease, I've been on the radio more then several times, I've written letters, (and even have a manuscript to be published) and really would like other to become PRO-ACTIVE, instead of just typing here. I'm sure it's easier to throw stones at me for telling the truth.

Some of us have other methods - not your methods - of spreading the word about celiac disease. One approach alone won't do it.

Some of us have other causes that we choose to fight for that are just as worthy. This isn't the only one.

Some of us have other volunteer activities that we choose to spend our time on instead. They are valid as well.

Some of us have other responsibilities and calls in our life that don't give us the time to do other than we do now. Those are our priorities.

And some of us are not cut out for that sort of work, and knowing instead of being miserable doing something we hate, is a good thing.

I'm glad that you are doing what you are doing, but please do not gripe at people whose situations, personalities, and priorities you do not know for not living up to your expectations for yourself. I'm glad you share these opportunties - it gives like minded people the opportunity to join your efforts, and that's always a good thing. But that doesn't mean that everyone has to join you just because you think they should.

Guhlia Rising Star

Very well said, Tiffany!

mommida Enthusiast

I had actually watched an interview clip of a show about her, Audrey Hepburn. She was describing the desparation of trying to fight the director about eating any but a danish and the stomach pain and cramping afterward. It is also noteworthy that she died of colon cancer at relatively young age.

L.

-

Here's a few additional snipets from a website linked to the one above:

During WWII, Audrey suffered from asthma, jaundice and other diseases due to malnutrition, including anemia and severe edema.

As far as anyone knows, Audrey was not anorexic! This is a common misconception due to her thinness, but please consider these facts before making rude asumptions: First of all, Audrey was trained as a ballet dancer, and therefore always held the figure and strict habits of a dancer. Secondly, she grew up during the holocaust! As a child, she was extremely malnourished. She once had to eat tulip bulbs to stay alive! And lastly, genetics. Audrey had a long string of very thin ancestors!

That Audrey had quite a time trying to film the now famous opening scene from "Breakfast at Tiffany's" in which her character stands before Tiffany's, sipping coffee and eating a pastry. Audrey hated pastries! She even suggested eating an ice cream cone instead, but Blake Edwards (the director) finally coaxed her into eating the pastry, and she did it beautifully.

Audrey never cared much for champagne. When she found out she had 'won' the role as Eliza Doolittle in "My Fair Lady", she and her mother celebrated with but what else, than a beer. :^)

The first two sound certainly like celiac. But the last two cast shadows of doubt.... Perhaps she was and just did not know what it was she had and what exactly triggered the symptoms.....

Karen

mommida Enthusiast

Well about the ice cream cone she only expected to have to lick the ice cream and not eat the cone.

She may never have been properly diagnosed, I found snippets about numerous miscarriages and she did develop colon cancer.

L.

Archived