This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celebrities With Celiac?

lauderdalehawk44

jerseyangel Proficient

Jillian--That would be Elizabeth Hasselbeck. I watch The View sometimes and do notice that she never eats food that is made by a guest. I e-mailed her with a suggestion that they include Celiac in one of their medical segments.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
carriecraig Enthusiast
Jillian--That would be Elizabeth Hasselbeck. I watch The View sometimes and do notice that she never eats food that is made by a guest. I e-mailed her with a suggestion that they include Celiac in one of their medical segments.

JerseyAngel, did you get a response back from Elisabeth? Did she confirm that she has Celiac?

flagbabyds Collaborator

Rich Gannon's ( The QB on Oakland Raiders) daughters and wife have celiac

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Carrie--No, I didn't. It says on her e-mail page that she reads all of her mail and don't be surprised if you get an e-mail response or see your topic show up on the air (words to that effect). Nothing yet--but I only sent the e-mail about 3 weeks ago or so.

Nantzie Collaborator

I think Victoria Beckham is (Posh Spice). I did a search once, wondering the same thing as you, and she came up. There were references to her having it, and her craving gluten-free choc chip cookies during her pregnancy, but no specific statement by her about it, and nothing said about whether or not her son has it.

Nancy

hlm34 Apprentice

I believe that there is widespread speculation that JFK had it.

linz boowie Newbie
According to what I've read, the average time to diagnose celiac disease in the US is 11 years, in Europe, it's 3 weeks. So, I agree, we need to educate people, including the medical community.

There is apparently a radio talk show host in Chicago who is celiac disease as well, but I don't know that for a fact.

I moved from the UK to Michigan 3 years ago. I am a Celiac (funny I always thought there was an o in the spelling). As soon as my mother started feeding me a wheat cereal when I was about 3 or 4 months old I started showing signs of illness. My mother tells me that I looked like a child you see from Africa with a badly swollen stomach. I spent 6 months in Hospital while the doctors decided what it was. 1960 it appears not a lot was known then. I survived and was well looked after by my mother. I grew to 6feet 2inches tall but I was as skinny as a pole. Being a kid I cheated a lot and suffered many accidents so to speak. I could eat an amazing amount of food for a child. I could clean the bones of a 3 pound cooked chicken for snacks at night I can could easily eat half a box of cereal. Now I need to lose weight I do get tired but I should do because I am 45 yrs old. Yes I think Europe is advanced. I was given 25g of gluten a day for two weeks when I was 16 as a test and found to be losing stomach villi. I was advised to keep to a celiac diet.

I don’t most of the time.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest CD_Surviver
(funny I always thought there was an o in the spelling)..

Over in the UK it is spelled with an o but here in the states it is not i find that interesting because alot disorders and diseases have the same name no matter where you go but not Celiac or Coeliac.

Lauren

teebs in WV Apprentice

I just read this entire thread. I just received the gluten-free product listing catalog from the Celiac Sprue Association, and noticed on the title page that one of the contributor's is Keith Olbermann of MSNBC's "The Countdown with Keith Olbermann". Out of curiosity, I started searching MSNBC's website looking for anything about Celiac. I found a couple of transcripts from his show and he does indicate that he has Celiac Disease. In case anyone is still curious......

celiac3270 Collaborator

In US/Canada it's usually "celiac." In Europe/Australia/etc. it is usually "coeliac."

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast
According to what I've read, the average time to diagnose celiac disease in the US is 11 years, in Europe, it's 3 weeks.

I wish :P I don't know about other European celiacs, but with me it took 7 years (almost 8) to figure it out. And if I wouldn't have been in medical school I probably still wouldn't know... :blink:

I read some place the entire Bush family, even the white house [dog] have thyroid problems.

Thyroid problems and Celiac are connected.

This doesn't really surprise me :huh: , if it would be so, cause he always runs around like his face is painted white. Anemia is a symptom of celiac, too.

Also why I'm trying to make an independent film. Well, that and the fact that the studios aren't making very many good movies.

If you need a celiac actor, email me :P . I wanted to be an actress as a kid, never made it though. The best thing I achieved was a role in our school theater...

I don't equate Celiac disease to a youngish, recently widowed mother just dx with lung cancer the day after the media is foaming at the mouth because Peter Jennings died from lung cancer. The primary problem people with celiac disease face is AWARENESS. Simply put, awareness would bring the harmful aspect of Celiac disease to a significant halt. A celebrity can spread awareness faster than a flea infested rat could spread the plague--

I agree with Jnkmnky. Once the awareness would rise (through Hollywood or otherwise) people would understand, that it's not harmfull, if you adhere to a glutenfree diet. And then it should destroy the bad reputation of being sick all the time.

I also share the opinion with Jnkmnky that people that are in the spot light quite frequently shouldn't hide it, if they have celiac disease. However I also understand people who hide it, because they're afraid of a disadvantage. But because I'm a big Celestine's Prophecy fan, I'm a strong believer in the (positive and negative) energy of your own thoughts, fears and prayers. This means, if you direct your positive energy (thinking) towards keeping your good reputation despite celiac disease, this will happen. If you're afraid, then your anxiety will attract the bad luck and you will get a bad reputation and maybe lose your job. Like for me it was clear right from the beginning. Should I be in the newspaper, then either WITH celiac disease or not at all. And when the time came, I stuck to it. When I made the decision for this at first I also was afraid of losing out on students, but then I directed positive energy towards helping people and tried to eliminate the bad energy (fears) of losing students and it worked. I actually got more students that way.

If anyone is interested in Celestine's Prophecy, the author is James Redfield and this year in spring, selected movie theaters (proably in the big cities) will play the Celestine movie, that they finally made. I can't wait, you should see this. It's really interesting... But back on the topic. What I wanted to say is, it depends on how you respond to this yourself, then either something good or bad will happen to you, if you out yourself...

But perhaps the ones with celiac disease already use this forum and we don't even know....

Deb, do you know something we don't know? :P

as an example, say I was single and was really interested in this amazing Adonis of a guy, and someone outed me by telling him that I have explosive diarrhea 20 times a day, that is a violation of my right to privacy. How would I feel? How would you feel? I know I would be furious and feel "violated".

Well, I don't think, if you would out somebody, that you would say. "Hey, that guy has diarrhea 20 times a day." And I doubt, you say that about yourself... If I meet somebody I don't really know yet, but that has the typical celiac symptoms I usually say, "Sounds like me, I have celiac." (to rise his/her interest) and not "Hey, I have diarrhea 24/7." And if you don't say that stuff about yourself (at least not, when you meet people for the first time), so you wouldn't/shouldn't do it about someone else either.

The comments were what celeb is going to get up and talk about their diarrhea problem? :o Come on... think about it!

Stand up and say, "My stools are typically smelly, floating, pasty, fatty, or bulky, light tan or gray, frothy, and rancid smelling diarrhea; better know as steatorrhea. :o And sometimes accompanied by bloating or distention, pronounced flatulence, weakness and seizures. All caused by gluten in food!" :lol:-_-

Same with what I said before this. If you talk about celiac, who says, you have to mention the diarrhea? Celiac disease is so underdiagnosed, that most people don't even know, that diarrhea can come with it. And not every celiac has diarrhea or bowel problems anyway. And why should a celebrity say something like that in public, when you don't even tell some of your closest friends things like that, guys? Be realistic. You can raise awareness without getting much into details. If someone really wants to know, they would research it anyway.

So obviously, if you figure out what is wrong and treat it with the proper diet, it would NOT be fatal. This report insinuating that boy died of celiac disease is just typical press misinformation. I doubt someone so young would ever "ignore" it long enough to die....he would have been so sick (my mom was unbelievably ill continually at the point of her ultimate diagnosis..finally) that he would have been in the hospital and diagnosed before it could become fatal. Just my opinion, but my mom was very seriously ill for YEARS before a doctor finally figured it out. I can't believe you would just die not even knowing you had a problem. When severe damage is done to your intestines...well, you are incredibly sick and you KNOW there's a problem.

If it's "only" the celiac that makes you so terribly sick and you "ignored" it long enough, so that you finally came into the hospital and they figured it out, then I guess in that case the awareness doesn't matter so much. Because finally someone figured it out in time. But what's with the people, that are not sooo sick yet and are not starting to starve yet, but their body reacted different. They might have cancer already (caused due to the lack of nutrition) or something else and don't even know it yet and by the time, that they come into the hospital it might be too late??? Raising awareness in this case can save lifes...

Within the last year or so, I was reading some article about Harvey Weinstein -- the guy who runs Miramax films. Harvey is legendary for having a temper (and that's putting it mildly!). Lately he's been noticeably mellower and he has said in interviews that he attributes his newfound state of mind to his "low carb diet." Of course when I was reading this, I was all, "yeah, Harvey, it was carbs that made you throw that desk at your assistant -- whatever!" But recently I've been noticing that I've been less of a hothead since going gluten-free and I'm wondering if Harvey is also suffering from Celiac.

Avril Lavigne mentioned a similar change of attitude after going low-carb.

Same with me here. I used to be really hotheaded and b%$@#y, too. I'm turned inside out since I'm on the glutenfree diet.

Formerly when someone (only women and good friends) b%$@#ed around I used to say "Do you have your period or what??? Calm down." Because of that story now I say. "You definitely had too much carbs for dinner..." This also works for men :lol:

Speaking of white painted faces. I like Avril Lavigne, but she's kind of pale faced, too. And now that you mentioned her change of attitude and she's pretty skinny anyway. She might have it indead...

It doesn't take a genius to figure out this illness. Trial and error on one's diet will accomplish the desired result.

Yeah well, it doesn't take a genius, provided you know, THAT it has something to do with the food you eat. Some people don't even know, that what bothers them actually HAS something to do with food. I didn't know either. And a lot of celiacs don't have bowel problems.

Sorry, that I made this so long here, but I thought this was a quite interesting post.

Hugs, Stef

debmidge Rising Star

Stef, thanks for the good post.

? Wow, and I thought I p... some people off :lol: .

Lisa Mentor

Have you all notices the amount of people viewing this site.........over 8,000 people. Whoah!!! :o:o

Canadian Karen Community Regular
? Wow, and I thought I p... some people off :lol: .

Naw, Step, we luv ya too much to get p**ed at ya! ;)

Have you all notices the amount of people viewing this site.........over 8,000 people. Whoah!!! :o:o

Wow Lisa! You're right! Waz up with that???? :huh::lol:

Hugs.

Karen

Naw, Step, we luv ya too much to get p**ed at ya! ;)

Sweet :D

Wow, I just saw the number, too. I guess, that shows how much we desire to find somebody famous raising awareness for us. :lol:

Canadian Karen Community Regular
Sweet :D

Wow, I just saw the number, too. I guess, that shows how much we desire to find somebody famous raising awareness for us. :lol:

Either that or people thought they might find out some "dirt" on some celebrities......

num1habsfan Rising Star

Whoa you are right. Lots of views! I didnt really want 'celebrity dirt', just was curious if there was any of them like all of us out there.

I agree with both sides of the story here. That admitting they have Celiac may be to their disadvantage (making finding work harder, etc). But that'd be the perfect way to tell people what Celiac disease is. Out of anyone I have ever known or met, and I tell them I cant eat blah blah blah because of Celiac, not ONE knew what I was talking about. They all just say "what's that??".

So it would be so nice to get some recognition. Because one day I'm going to get tired of explaining ;)

~lisa~

KarenCM Rookie

I was searching the internet for info about being Gluten Free in Las Vegas and I saw this website that says Cybill Shepherd has IBS thought it was interesting.

Open Original Shared Link

Karen

• 2 weeks later...
ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

Paula Radcliffe have celiac disease?

I was looking for information regarding allergy and dust mites (I bought a book that is 50 years old because it had my famous great great great aunt name in it but its dusty.) As I Open Original Shared Link site here. I googled her name she's an athleteOpen Original Shared Link and it kinda looks like she is a Celiac?

• 1 month later...
Nantzie Collaborator

I found this while looking for something else. Peter Benenson, the founder of Amnesty International, had celiac disease.

"Peter Benenson

Founder, Amnesty International

Benenson set up Amnesty International in 1961 after reading an article about the arrest and imprisonment of two students in a café in Lisbon, Portugal who had drunk a toast to liberty. He initially set up Amnesty International as a one-year campaign but it went on to become the world's largest independent human rights organisation working on behalf of people for whom Benenson coined the term "prisoners of conscience." Currently, it has more than 1.8 million members and supporters worldwide.

The group's current campaigns include a human rights disaster looming in Nepal, a call for an end to child executions in Iran, and demands for justice for ethnic rape and killings in Sudan's Darfur region. The group has also called for the release of all detainees at the U.S. prison camp at Guantanamo Bay, which it has described as "an icon of lawlessness."

Amnesty International has drawn its share of controversy, with critics including former Chilean ruler Augusto Pinochet, the late Ayatollah Khomeini of Iran, Iraq's jailed former leader Saddam Hussein, and former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher.

In the 1980's, Benenson became chairman of Association of Christians Against Torture, and in the 1990's he organized aid for Romanian orphans. He also founded a group to aid victims of celiac disease - a faulty absorption of gluten in the intestines - which he had. Modest and unassuming, Benenson repeatedly rejected knighthoods, telling officials that if they wished to acknowledge his work for human rights, they should redress remaining abuses in Britain.

"Once the concentration camps and the hellholes of the world were in darkness," Benenson said. "Now they are lit by the light of the Amnesty candle; the candle in barbed wire. When I first lit the Amnesty candle, I had in mind the old Chinese proverb: Better light a candle than curse the darkness."

February 25, 2005 at age 83. Pneumonia."

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

I clicked on the last page, yep, hate to admit it, to see what all the scuttlebut was :P Now, I'm going to have to go back and read 112 posts . . . I can't stand it when I find a long thread interesting. :lol: The only thing is, it's kind of like, "Which celebrities have REALLY BAD diarrhea???????" :ph34r: Just kidding -- only a joke. Don't send nasty e-mails or personal messages to me! :huh: Maybe some of these celebs could be talked into rallying for a cause -- the walk for Celiac is in June(?) -- at any rate, even a couple showing up could do wonders for the media exposure.

paulasimone Rookie
I know that the production crew has to fill their trailer or tour bus with goodies, food and etc.

Do you think some how we could find out who eats what and why, though them? Or are they sworn to not reveal their secret.

I know the smoking gun web site has listed in the past what some celeb's reqire on shoots....

i heard word of one lovely and talented performer who eats gluten-free.

but ... no outing the celebrities. better hush hush, keep all this celiac celebrity talk down now - voices carry.

;)

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

I liked that song a LOT when it was popular! :lol::lol:

tiffjake Enthusiast
Oprah already had to deal with the stupid satelite sisters who made those rancid coments about parents of children with Celiac disease in her magazine.

I didn't see that...what was that all about???

Archived