Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ashley

Shocked.

Hi guys! I've been gone for a little bit, but, I'm back again.

Thanks to everyone who wished me a happy birthday on the Sept 30 topic <3

I went to Washington DC for my 2nd time with my ROTC unit on my birthday. As far as Celiac goes, I did an excellent job this year with keeping myself healthy and having food to eat. Which was a great improvement from last year lol.

But, I just feel like I lost a big part of myself. I was assualted by one of the chaperones on the trip. I'm perfectly fine but I'm hurt emotionally. My Sergeant and Major did absolutely nothing about it. When my mom tried to call my Major about it, she got his voicemail. I told him that my mom needed to talk to him. "Well, I'm too busy and I'm not calling anyone tonight. I've got to many things to do." It's like, hi, is my safety not important to you? I couldn't believe it. I've seen them everyday for all of the 3 years I've been in highschool. They didn't even ask me if I was hurt or scared. There was a whole lot that went on that trip and I gave the vocational principal a hand-written 3 page report over it. I don't know if I can handle staying in ROTC, because I know they're going to treat me different. And I sure don't want to stay there if they're going to support the chaperone over me.

I don't know what to do. I'm sick my stomach about it. I'm still out on fall break until Monday. I really don't want to go back to school, either. I though I'd come to the old board and listen to some great advice =]

Thanks guys,

Ash.

Ash,

I am SO sorry that you had a terrible experience with your chaperon. I firmly believe that every action should be accountable.

Please have your mother continue to make her voice heard on your behalf. If not the Major, then his commanding officer.

As long as the truth is on your side, you have the power to kick some @ss.

In California & most other states, that would be considered child abuse (assuming you're under age 18) & reportable not only to Child Protective Services, but also to Law Enforcement. There's no reason why this crime should not go unreported - I'd leave the ROTC powers that be out of it & have your mom report it directly to the local police, sheriff's, or welfare department. It's against the law!!!

Good luck, & make sure to seek some mental health support if you feel like you need it to help you through this. Take care of yourself.

Horsegirl

I agree, go to the police.

You have a right to feel safe (anywhere, but especially at school functions) and they have the responsibility to keep you safe.

We're with you. Hang in there

I am sorry to here of your bad experience.

I agree, report this to law enforcement officials. In addition, you might consider getting help for your emotional hurt from a school or private counciler. Also consider a school or private pschycologist.

Thanks everyone---all your posts make me smile :)

So here's the deal with that:

When we were in DC, one of the chaperones, who was my room leader, called the DC police and they said it was out of their power, because it was school function and according to TN, it's considered school property if you're on a trip. So we didn't file anything until we got home. We filed a police report against him, but, after a couple of days they said it was DC's responsibilty because it happened there. So, someone's wrong. My parents had the full intent of pressing charges. I've got to mail my statement to the DC police department. I'm not sure if anything's going to happen or not. My parents are going to see what the vocational principal and the school board is going to do. The vocational principal, who use to be a colonel in the army, isn't happy at all.

Horsegirl- I'm 17, so I'll let my mom know about going to Child Protective Services.

Thanks for the support. I'm not really bothered by it 'cause I'm home and out of the man's harm. I'm just highly disappointed by my two ROTC instructors.

-Ash.

I'm not really bothered by it 'cause I'm home and out of the man's harm.

While I'm very glad that you are safe, you need to make sure other young women are protected from him as well. It sounds like it's shaping up to be a frustrating experience and I hope you don't just give up because you don't have the energy to keep jumping through hoops.

Oh my gosh, Ashley--I'm just seeing this....How awful--and it's horrible that you and your parents are having such a hard time trying to make this person accountable.

I hope you're ok--you're putting up a brave face, but it has to be so difficult for you.

I agree about going over their heads and persuing the police and CPS. It's an absolute outrage...

Keep in touch--and you know you can PM me anytime :)

Keep pushing!! It seems like everyone wants you just to forget it happened. You won't. Trust me. I've been there. Talk to someone ELSE at the DC police. Something. If you let this guy off the hook, he'll move onto someone else. He won't stop (especialy if he's not punished).

You are such a strong woman. You rock!! Sorry he did this to you (it didn't just happen IMHO).

I hope someone finally listens.

Make sure your parents make is perfectly clear that if SOMEBODY doesn't take responsibility for this instead of just passing the buck, then they are going to be as loud and public as they possibly could be, making heads roll! I kinda like watching Anderson Cooper - "Keeping them Honest", he likes stuff like this!

Sending you lots of cyber hugs and I wish this didn't happen to you.......

Hugs

Karen