Rate this topic

Has anyone found out if this med is gluten-free?

I had it perscribed by a doctor about a year ago... (Guaifenesin) it contained gluten.

So, I had a non-gluten-free compound made.

Now, it is available over the counter as Mucinex.

I can't reach the company. There is nothing on the website.

Inactive ingredients that I am questioning are: carbomer, hypromellose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline, cellulose, sodium starch glycolate

Thanks.

Do you know if this includes the Mucinex DM and the Mucinex D?

I thought I'd add my own reply!

Just incase anyone else is wondering...

I spoke with the company. Mucinex does not contain gluten!

The starch is from potatoes.

I've never had a problem with mucinex before, but now that reckitt benckiser is making it (instead of adams respiratory, not sure when the switch happened but it was recent), they don't certify their products as gluten free... and I'm *definitely* getting a reaction to the last pill I took. I'm not celiac, but I'm allergic to wheat and I tend to get pretty immediate and unambiguous symptoms. I've read elsewhere that someone took the reckitt version and was fine, and I think I've taken them before now from a different box and been fine... so it might be something that varies from box to box depending on their supplier for that batch (sodium starch glycolate can be made from corn, potatoes, or wheat), or it might be due to cross-contamination.

Anybody else have issues?

I don't know if it's the Mucinex, Zithromax or Allerx, but something has given me a horrendous reaction about 2 1/2 hours after I took them.

I've never had a problem with mucinex before, but now that reckitt benckiser is making it (instead of adams respiratory, not sure when the switch happened but it was recent), they don't certify their products as gluten free... and I'm *definitely* getting a reaction to the last pill I took. I'm not celiac, but I'm allergic to wheat and I tend to get pretty immediate and unambiguous symptoms. I've read elsewhere that someone took the reckitt version and was fine, and I think I've taken them before now from a different box and been fine... so it might be something that varies from box to box depending on their supplier for that batch (sodium starch glycolate can be made from corn, potatoes, or wheat), or it might be due to cross-contamination.

Anybody else have issues?

My Doctor also told me to take Mucinex to loosen up the congestion in my head that might be causing me to have ear noise.  Trouble is I noticed it contains Blue #1 which is a dye, and I don't know if the dye contains gluten.

My Doctor also told me to take Mucinex to loosen up the congestion in my head that might be causing me to have ear noise.  Trouble is I noticed it contains Blue #1 which is a dye, and I don't know if the dye contains gluten.

INfo on this thread is 4 years old and products change over time.

Dyes are not a Celiac concern. I use Mucinex and some generic versions.

"Do Mucinex®, Mucinex® DM and Mucinex® D tablets contain gluten?

While Mucinex®, Mucinex® DM and Mucinex® D tablets are not formulated with any ingredient containing gluten, we do not test or certify them to be “gluten-free”."