This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Random Craving.....

Guest Doll

Guest Doll

Anyone out there just have random cravings for foods? :P Out of nowhere, I am craving a chocolate dipped Dairy Queen cone. It makes me sad to to know that I can never have that again. :(

I hate the fact that I used to always eat pretty healthy (beans, fish, brown rice, veggies, etc.) pre-Celiac/allergies, but could have a treat when I really wanted it. Now, I can't eat those things EVER again. I miss having free choice. :(

There have been a few times I have played the "what do you think will happen to me if I eat...." game with my fiance. ;) He looks at me like I'm crazy and says "absolutely no way!". :o

Of course I'll never do it (I'm not suicidal!), but it makes me feel like I at least have the option to choose what I want to eat again.

Anyone else?

P.S. I still plan on going to Finland one day to have a gluten-free Big Mac. :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

loco-ladi Contributor

Oh yes I get cravings like that as well! And I have checked ALL the cone ingredients and cant have a single stinking yummy tasting one of them........ I then go home get into my freezer and have me a huge helping of ice cream...... in a boring bowl

What I wouldn't give for a ice cream cone........

Luckily I wouldn't give up my health!

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Oh yes I get cravings like that as well! And I have checked ALL the cone ingredients and cant have a single stinking yummy tasting one of them........ I then go home get into my freezer and have me a huge helping of ice cream...... in a boring bowl

What I wouldn't give for a ice cream cone........

Luckily I wouldn't give up my health!

Hahahahaha! Fortunately, my parents taught me that ice cream is NEVER boring! Especially when you make chocolate chip cake from GFP and make strawberry compote and put vanilla ice cream on top... Now that's some nice birthday sundae!!!!! Had that back in April on my b-day. I wouldn't mind an ice cream cone, but I'd rather have mine on a hot brownie.... mmmmm....

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Looky what I found on Miss Roben's website:

Ice Cream Cones

Source: Jennifer Rochester (from Internet, minor modifications by Miss Roben's)

large egg (OR 1 heaping Tbsp baking powder, 1 1/2 Tbsp oil, & 1 1/2 Tbsp water)

1/4 cup sugar or Ultimate Sweetener

2 Tbsp oil

dash of salt

1/4 cup water

1 tsp vanilla

1/4 cup cornstarch

To make cone forms: Cut heavy duty aluminum foil into 9"x9" squares. Fold foil diagonally to make double triangles. Smooth out any wrinkles. Using the center of each triangle's folded edge as the point of the cone, roll foil into cone-shaped forms. Make sure cone point is tightly wrapped or folded.

To make batter: Slightly beat egg/substitute. Continue beating while adding oil, sugar, & salt, & beat until batter is thick & light colored. Set aside. Combine water, vanilla, & cornstarch until smooth. Stir into egg mixture. Cover a large, flat surface with wax paper.

Lightly grease griddle & heat until a drop of water bounces off pan. Spoon batter onto pan tilting pan back & forth to thin batter into a pancake approx. 4" diameter. Cook over low heat until firm enough to remove pancake in one piece. Flip over & continue to cook until firm.

Use a fork to roll hot pancake onto prepared foil form until a cone is formed. Set aside with loose end down on wire rack. Do not remove foil. When all batter is formed into cones, place forms into 250 degree oven to dry out & slightly brown (about 45-90 min). When thoroughly crisp, remove from oven & store cooled forms in fridge or freezer, in airtight container.

Might work with tapioca starch?

And they have gluten-free Big Macs in Finland? WTF?!?!?!?!?

LisaJ Apprentice

hahaha - I know EXACTLY what you are saying! Just yesterday I said to my hubby, "How sick do you think I'd get from a Big Mac? I want one SO BAD!" He just shakes his head and says, "Don't do it, Lisa!" And I very rarely ever ate Big Macs before, but lately I have been craving them like nothing else . . . maybe I'll have to try making my own gluten free Big Mac . . . or there's always a plane ticket to Finland ;)

Darn210 Enthusiast

The glutenfreemall sells gluten free ice cream cones. I've never had them so I don't know if they are any good.

confusedks Enthusiast

I just wanted to say that I understand the cravings! The problem is I get so sick from gluten I don't think I could ever do it. But, having said that there are things I couldn't even had, even if I was able to eat gluten because of dairy or soy, etc.

But, someone on this board said that they ate gluten and it didn't even taste as good as they remembered it. We get so used to other flours, etc. that I really wonder if things would taste good.

Kassandra

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular
Hahahahaha! Fortunately, my parents taught me that ice cream is NEVER boring! Especially when you make chocolate chip cake from GFP and make strawberry compote and put vanilla ice cream on top... Now that's some nice birthday sundae!!!!! Had that back in April on my b-day. I wouldn't mind an ice cream cone, but I'd rather have mine on a hot brownie.... mmmmm....

This sounds very good...I love ice cream, and I do not mind the bowl....I drown ice cream in sprinkles!!! So I need a bowl :)

Guest Doll

It's the ice cream that I miss. :( With hardened chocolate on top...mmmm....Dairy Queen...<drool>....Soy ice cream just doesn't cut it!

I can't ever have milk anymore (as per my allergist and my own common sense regardless)...in addition to gluten. Besides the Celiac, I have somehow developed a severe milk allergy out of nowhere. My immune system is the gift from God that keeps on giving...hehe. ;) I don't know if I am reacting to casein or whey or both.

And yes, it IS true that Finland and Sweden offer gluten-free Big Macs. B) And the government PAYS outright for Celiac's gluten-free food based on what I was told. Finland has the highest rate of Celiac (and Type 1 diabetes) in the world. It's so common there that Celiacs and Type 1 diabetics are even allowed in the military. Nowhere else in the world allows this, as far as I know. As you can tell, I have researched this. ;) I keep telling my fiance that he better be prepared to move to Finland!

And for anyone who wants to know....my original honeymoon destination pick was Finland. ;)

I am going to go cry...while I eat my spinach.... :P

Guest thatchickali

I had a pizza craving Thursday night that gave me an all out panic attack because I felt like I wanted to kick my way out of my own skin. I felt imprisoned, knowing that I can't taste those things again. Of course I can make gluten free pizzas, but it's not going to taste like Domino's, and I can't order it to be at my door in 20 minutes.

This morning the craving was for a sandwich on real soft white bread. I handled it better and didn't panic but it made me sad.

gfpaperdoll Rookie

I do not know if it because I am older or what but I used to get food cravings all the time. But when i went completely gluten-free, I do not crave foods anymore. It is really weird. Well now I cannot even have chocolate - that is sorta bumming me out, but I am thinking of making some non chocolate candy. I do take B12 & I think that helps my food cravings a lot. Also weird, but i eat an apple if I think I am wanting something sweet...

re ice cream, I have been thinking about making a homemade ice cream with the eggs, sugar & coconut milk, you know the mixture that you cook then add a flavoring & freeze in a freezer. The reason I was thinking of this is because I had to stop on my drive to Austin at my old favorite ice cream place - they also sell gasoline etc. So I could not get ice cream - just not worth it to cheat on dairy & feel icky all day...

Doll, if I were you I would get one of those really expensive ice cream freezers, electric, & make fruit sorbets. You could make them with fruit juice & fruit & no sugar. I have one of those freezers on my Christmas wish list - for myself to give to myself. Now if I can just quit buying shoes.... :)

Idiote Savante Goddess Rookie

I agree about the icecream/sorbet machines. I don't have a problem with milk so I make both in mine --- tastes better than Breyer's/Edy's French Vanilla and has only three ingredients: milk, cream and sugar. If I want a different flavour, I add a fruit to which I don't have an allergy or to which I don't have an OAS response.

As for baking, I make scones or shortcake or a tea bread. I have both yeast and rice allergies, so most pre-packaged gluten-free breads, cereals and waffles are off limits. Not much point in owning a bread machine with the yeast allergy, but when I did have one (before dx re yeast) it made life a lot easier.

Guest Doll
I do not know if it because I am older or what but I used to get food cravings all the time. But when i went completely gluten-free, I do not crave foods anymore. It is really weird. Well now I cannot even have chocolate - that is sorta bumming me out, but I am thinking of making some non chocolate candy. I do take B12 & I think that helps my food cravings a lot. Also weird, but i eat an apple if I think I am wanting something sweet...

re ice cream, I have been thinking about making a homemade ice cream with the eggs, sugar & coconut milk, you know the mixture that you cook then add a flavoring & freeze in a freezer. The reason I was thinking of this is because I had to stop on my drive to Austin at my old favorite ice cream place - they also sell gasoline etc. So I could not get ice cream - just not worth it to cheat on dairy & feel icky all day...

Doll, if I were you I would get one of those really expensive ice cream freezers, electric, & make fruit sorbets. You could make them with fruit juice & fruit & no sugar. I have one of those freezers on my Christmas wish list - for myself to give to myself. Now if I can just quit buying shoes.... :)

You know what, I just might. :) Apparently every "premade" sorbet brand decides to add "milk protein"/casein/etc. to their product. :rolleyes: Just like Kellogg's *has* to add barley malt to their Rice Krispies... :P

Can't help you on the shoes thingy...I also have the same problem... :D Maybe if we spend all of our money on "special food equipment", we won't have any money left for shoes? ;)

P.S. Kassandra...that's a good point. WOULD it taste as good as we remember now that we have been only eating gluten-free??? Hmmm....

tarnalberry Community Regular

they do make gluten free ice cream cones. I don't know where to get them online, but I know that Mora's (an argentinian ice cream shop in puget sound) has them.

corinne Apprentice

When I visited my brother in Edmonton, I stopped at Kinnikinnik and they had gluten-free ice cream cones. I didn't buy any because I spent way too much $$$ on other goodies in the store, but they looked "real". I'm not sure if they sell these online, but many of their products are online.

Trade Joes sells Belizza sorbets. These only have fruit and sugar. The pomegranate raspberry is sooo good if you like sweet and sour.

Archived