Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JulieMamato5

Dr. Was Wrong! And So Was Lab Which Produced The Results....

I am sure I have you all interested in this topic now. http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/style_emoti...fault/smile.gif A few weeks ago, after a year of gut pain and some of the common celiac symptoms, and after various other tests came back negative, I took my daughter for a celiac blood panel. This was at the urging of a dear friend who has celiac. The office called me and told me the results were negative.

My friend told me "no, you ask for a copy of the test." I did. Under the TIGA test (which was 7.9 for my dd) it said "under 4.0...negative, 4.0-10.0......weak positive, over 10.0....positive" And across the page, in the same row, it said, "normal range 0-19"

And I thought, "THAT MAKES NO SENSE!!"

So I called the lab in CA. They told me that the "normal range 0-19" should NOT be on that page.

I called our dr (who I really like BTW) and he said he would look into it.....

This evening, our dr called me and told me, "Kudos to you. The hospital put that 0-19 on every test for celiac they do, and it is wrong!!!" Of course what about all those other people who were given wrong information about their tests?

Also, the day after the blood test was taken, I took our 10yo dd off gluten and she had not had a cramp since!!

What do you think of that??

So, we have 5 children...do we get they all tested??? I have one 6yo who is really hyper and can't sit still......makes me wonder!

Julie

So, we have 5 children...do we get they all tested??? I have one 6yo who is really hyper and can't sit still......makes me wonder!

Julie

Good for you on the labs. Maybe they changed tests and forgot to change the reference ranges- but that never should have happened.

As a practical matter (one which will help keep YOU sane!), try ditching the gluten and see how the entire family responds. It will be easier to prepare meals, there will be less concern with respect to kitchen hygiene, and there's one big problem about testing that lots of doctors seem to forget when it comes to celiac: they should treat the patient, not the labs.

Negative antibody test, negative biopsy- none of it matters if the patient improves in the absence of wheat gluten! If wg is reintroduced into the diet (accidentally or intentionally) and the symptoms recur, then the problem is wheat or wheat gluten.

Thanks for sharing!!!

What was the name of the lab that had it written incorrectly?

The lab that printed the reults was our local hospital lab. The lab listed on the results as "test preformed by" was Speciality Labs in Valencia, CA. I called CA, and they had the test results for our dd with the correct numbers. It was a mistake of our local hospital which printed the report.

I have a friend who is a dr and he personally knows the head of the lab and he is going to make sure EVERYONE who was given false information is given the correct info. Who knows how long this has been going on??