This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Best Bread Ever!

flagbabyds

flagbabyds Collaborator

For all those people I promised I would give my moms brea recipe, here it it:

This recipe makes a delicious multi-grain gluten-free loaf for the bread machine, using three cups of gluten-free flours. I used to use two cups of the standard, Bette Hagman gluten-free blend* and one cup brown rice flour. Since I learned about the newer, more nutritious flours, I now use this combination:

Cup #1: brown rice flour

Cup #2: 2/3 cup gluten-free flour blend* plus 1/3 cup flaxmeal

Cup #3: equal parts amaranth, sorghum, and buckwheat flours

Sift the flours with:

3 tsp. xanthan gum

2 tsp. Ener-G Egg Replacer (optional, but I always use it)

1 tsp. salt

3 tsp. sugar

Add 1 1/3 cups non-fat dry milk powder and stir into sifted dry ingredients

Beat:

2 eggs plus 2 egg whites

1/4 cup melted butter

1 1/2 cups water

1 tsp. rice vinegar

2 tsp. Red Star yeast (I buy it in the jar)

Place wet ingredients, dry ingredients, and yeast into the baking pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Use medium setting on quick bake, or, for a newer, programmable machine, follow the instructions at the Gluten-Free Pantry web site for the Zojirushi bread machine - you only have to program it once. Open up the machine during the first kneading to scrape down the sides of the pan with a spatula.

Be prepared to experiment, and adjust water and yeast if the consistency isn

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

traci Apprentice

I am going to try this recipe too. I HATE these breads.. HATE HATE HATE THEM.. I made one recipe that I found here, someplace, dont recall who posted it, hate it.. I hate every kind I have purchased... sigh. I miss bread so badly. I am not keep on the pasta either. Most people gain weight, I have lost quite a bit and I did not have any to lose, I just dont eat, cuz I am sick of veggies, fruit and meat and rice and potatoes.

Question? I am NOT a baker.. I have a bread machine from a friend.. it has a cake/quick setting.. I baked this last stuff on the regular white setting.. is that wrong? :huh:

Somebody help me please?!

Traci

FreyaUSA Contributor

I'm just being really careful because I've made two rocks and one sunken loaf in the last two days. Did you really mean 3 TEASPOONS of sugar? Most of my recipes call for 2-3 tablespoons of sugar.

I'm hoping to try this today or tomorrow. :)

Deby Apprentice

Try golden flax seed meal in your bread. You can get it from Bob's Red Mill. OR you can get whole golden flax seed from the health food store and grind it in a coffee grinder.

Try this bread recipe

Use 3 parts rice flour (a blend of brown and white is good, but I just use white)

1 part potatoe starch

1/2 part tapioca flour

Mix this up and add 1 tsp of each Salt, Egg Replacer, and Xanthan Gum for each 2 cups of flour mix.

You now have gluten-free+ flour it stores great and makes a decent loaf of bread.

To make bread, use 3 cups gluten-free+

2 tsp yeast

1/4 cup sugar (less is fine but add some to feed the yeast)

1/2 cup oil of choice, butter is good if you can use it

3 cups hot water (hot so that you couldn't keep your hand under for long)

2 tbsp flax seed ground in my coffee mill.

I use my whip attatchment in my stand mixer and whip this to death about 4 minutes. This adds air

Then let it rise. REALLY, it does rise :) quick hint: I let my bread rise in my mixer bowl making the addition of the extra flour (mentioned in the next step) easy. But be careful as the bread tends to over rise the bowl. So take the bowl out of the mixer stand to rise and cover with plastic wrap.

after bread is risen, add another cup to cup and a half of gluten-free+ mix and whip again. about a minute. You can also add more sugar at this time if you want a sweeter loaf to make into french toast or to entice young, picky eaters.

After the flour addition, heat oven to 400 degrees. Pour bread into greased and dusted pans, filling them 3/4 full. Let this rest for 15 to 20 minutes, time varies due to the amount of flour added. A thicker product won't rise as quickly and a thin product will overflow the bread pan quickly with necessitates a quicker trip into the oven. If you don't let this overrise, you will end up with a very good loaf of bread that won't get hard as soon as it cools. Good LUCK!

After loading your pan into the oven, turn the temp down to 350 degrees. Cook 1 hour for small, 2 lb loaves and 1 hour 15 min for the larger 3 lb loaf.

Do not slice until completely cooled, though it will be tempting! :)

I"ve never used a bread machine so if anyone tries this in one, I'd love to hear how it comes out.

This bread was made via frustration with the products out there and 2 boys who fell into fits of tears over that NASTY white rice bread universally available at the health food store. I just want to go to the regular grocery store and buy my bread off the shelf, but that doesn't seem to be possible and I don't know if it ever will.

Monica

Archived