Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

holdthegluten

Another Bloating Question

I have cut out gluten, dairy, soy, and sugar which i had a high reaction to on an intolerance test. I have felt no improvement since avoiding these foods. I still bloat all of the time no matter what i eat. It has been 9 months and i was told I was early stage celiac. If my intestines have had time to heal, shouldnt they be working normal by now. I always have abdominal tenderness in my duodenum area, and bloating. I am losing weight and thinking about not restricting myself so much, besides the gluten. Will us celiacs always have bloating problems, or will it eventually go away. I will feel really bloated after a meal, then i will get hungry once the bloating passes. Sometimes only an hour after meal. My labs showed i was doing the diet to a T based on my low TTG levels (4). The damage should have healed right? Thanks Guys. I love this forum

28 yr old Male

Diagnosed Celiac in February 2007

Gluten-free/Casein Free

HLA DQ 2,3 Subtype (2,8) I have both celiac genes!

Married

1 child 9 months- Levi

Yeast/Bacteria overgrowth

" CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS AND THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"

Wayne Dyer

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Will us celiacs always have bloating problems, or will it eventually go away.

Hi,

Mine didn't go away until I finally found the "final" food intolerance, ~3.5 yrs after going 100% gluten-free.

Do you keep a food/symptom diary?

If not, you should start. And start looking for which other foods could be related to the bloating.

It could be something hard to isolate, like the type of cooking oil.

IMHO, the bloating WILL be over once you find the remaining intolerance(s). :)

Good luck!

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

When you did your intolerance testing, what all was tested for? It certainly sounds like you have another intolerance. Were you tested for legumes, nightshades, corn, etc.?

As Tom said, keeping a food/symptom diary can be useful.

If you posted a typical day's diet where you have experienced bloating, perhaps we could guess at possible culprits.

In addition to the foods I am intolerant to, I bloat in response to fatty foods and anything containing sugar alcohols (sorbitol, mannitol, etc. -- often found in "sugar free" items). I've heard of others with the same problems.

Here is a link that mentions the foods that are the most commonly reacted to. You might try eliminating all of them and see what happens. If your symptoms go away, you can then test and try to pin it down. Or, if you are truly desperate, you could go on an elimination diet, which is explained too. http://www.drmcdougall.com/med_allergic.html

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

When you did your intolerance testing, what all was tested for? It certainly sounds like you have another intolerance. Were you tested for legumes, nightshades, corn, etc.?

As Tom said, keeping a food/symptom diary can be useful.

If you posted a typical day's diet where you have experienced bloating, perhaps we could guess at possible culprits.

In addition to the foods I am intolerant to, I bloat in response to fatty foods and anything containing sugar alcohols (sorbitol, mannitol, etc. -- often found in "sugar free" items). I've heard of others with the same problems.

Here is a link that mentions the foods that are the most commonly reacted to. You might try eliminating all of them and see what happens. If your symptoms go away, you can then test and try to pin it down. Or, if you are truly desperate, you could go on an elimination diet, which is explained too. http://www.drmcdougall.com/med_allergic.html

I did the 96 food panel from optimum health resource and I tested high for kidney beans and sugar cane, and moderate for all dairy and bananas. Anything fatty bloats me up bad. I also get this head pressure and stiff neck daily. Could this also be from food?

28 yr old Male

Gluten-free/Casein Free

Married

1 child 9 months- Levi

Wayne Dyer

I did the 96 food panel from optimum health resource and I tested high for kidney beans and sugar cane, and moderate for all dairy and bananas. Anything fatty bloats me up bad. I also get this head pressure and stiff neck daily. Could this also be from food?

Am I correct in assuming you have eliminated the kidney beans & bananas, too?

How low fat a diet do you estimate eating? I have to stay pretty low, like maybe 10-15% of total calories. I find that eating fats as they occur naturally in certain plant foods (like nuts, seeds, and avocado) don't bother me as much. But if I eat added oils or animal foods, I commonly suffer.

Of course, everybody's body is different B)

Are you careful about sugar? Sometimes things are sugar but the ingredient lists don't say that. It will be "evaporated cane juice" or the like. Lots of different names for the stuff. Indeed, I once heard that companies will try to add assorted different types of sugar so that any particular type gets further down the ingredient list (sugar as a whole would be way up there). This was in a speech that was online by a guy who once worked for Kraft, I believe it was. (If I'm remembering the right lecture, it was http://www.vegsource.com/articles2/novick_full.htm -- this anyway is full of assorted tricks that food companies do when it comes to labeling).

Head pressure can certainly be from food. I don't know about stiff neck. I suppose it is possible, particularly if your symptoms cause tension or stress. You might try googling on stiff neck and food and see what turns up.

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Am I correct in assuming you have eliminated the kidney beans & bananas, too?

How low fat a diet do you estimate eating? I have to stay pretty low, like maybe 10-15% of total calories. I find that eating fats as they occur naturally in certain plant foods (like nuts, seeds, and avocado) don't bother me as much. But if I eat added oils or animal foods, I commonly suffer.

Of course, everybody's body is different B)

Are you careful about sugar? Sometimes things are sugar but the ingredient lists don't say that. It will be "evaporated cane juice" or the like. Lots of different names for the stuff. Indeed, I once heard that companies will try to add assorted different types of sugar so that any particular type gets further down the ingredient list (sugar as a whole would be way up there). This was in a speech that was online by a guy who once worked for Kraft, I believe it was. (If I'm remembering the right lecture, it was http://www.vegsource.com/articles2/novick_full.htm -- this anyway is full of assorted tricks that food companies do when it comes to labeling).

Head pressure can certainly be from food. I don't know about stiff neck. I suppose it is possible, particularly if your symptoms cause tension or stress. You might try googling on stiff neck and food and see what turns up.

Yes i have cut out bananas and i am very up to speed on the sugar lingo. I had to learn it and Burdee helped me a lot. Maybe it will just take some time. It's just hard to eat when you cant eat Gluten, Dairy, Soy, and Sugar. What do you eat?

28 yr old Male

Gluten-free/Casein Free

Married

1 child 9 months- Levi

Wayne Dyer

It's just hard to eat when you cant eat Gluten, Dairy, Soy, and Sugar. What do you eat?

I don't have a problem with sugar, which helps a little. But then I can't eat egg and I'm a vegetarian :rolleyes: I don't have a great deal of sugar, though. I'm thinking perhaps I better be careful on this one.

I eat a wholly plant-based diet with a few exceptions. On special occasions (or on vacation when I might otherwise starve ...) I will have fish. But factoring out my river cruise this last summer when I had to have fish every night or starve, I probably averaged fish once or twice a year. I now occasionally will have a touch of goat's milk cheese, which doesn't seem to bother me. I don't want to have too much of it because I'm not a believer in animal protein to begin with, goat's milk has a trace of the same sort of casein as cow's milk, and I don't want to give myself another intolerance. I will eat honey without restriction, too.

If you look at www.drmcdougall.com, you will see the diet I have followed since mid-2000. It is plant-based with no added fat. He says to limit high fat plant foods, but that is really for folks who need to lose weight. The only difference this year is that I have cut out gluten and soy, and have to be much stricter with avoiding traces of casein or egg.

Most of my calories I would say come from starches. I'm trying now to move away from refined ones. Then I eat lots of veggies & fruits. With my weight down at the bottom of the normal range, I've been eating more nuts & seeds these days, and the occasional avocado.

It is similar to the diet Drs. Ornish & Esselstyn have used to reverse heart disease and Dr. Barnard and others have used to treat type 2 diabetes. It is also akin to the diet found to be associated with lower rates of all sorts of disease in Campbell's China study. Oh well, you didn't really ask WHY I eat the way I do, did you :lol:

What I'm saying is that I'm a health vegan (if I can call myself that, some would disagree), not an animal rights one.

Gluten free since 1/6/07