This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Requip?

tallfran

tallfran Apprentice

My docter started me on Requip for restless leg syndrome, which she is inclined to think is causing my exhaustion. I just had my labs for Celiac drawn on Friday, and will have an appointment with the GI doc for endoscopy/colonoscopy. I have only taken 3 days of the Requip, and am on the starter pack that starts at low dose and then advances.

I have had terrible bloating, tummy pains, nausea, and heartburn since starting the med, and wonder if anyone else has had a reaction like this. :(

Thanks.

Fran

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest thatchickali

I haven't had a reaction like that, but I would first call the manufacturer and ask if it contains gluten. It is more common in medicines than you would think. If it is gluten free, I seem to recall hearing those could be side effects of the meds. I would talk to your doctor about it. I have restless leg syndrome....it isn't often enough to see a doctor about it but my doctor had already written me a phenergan prescription so when my legs are going crazy and I can't get to sleep, that and a leg rub usually help me. You might be more serious though...

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I would bet that gluten intolerance/celiac disease is causing your restless legs syndrome.

Has your bloodwork come back yet? If it is positive, an endoscopy might be unnecessary, as positive bloodwork is enough for a diagnosis. For that matter, so is dietary rsponse! If you want an endoscopy, though, you need to stay on gluten until that is done (and I wouldn't skip the colonoscopy if you are over 50).

I would not start any meds for restless legs syndrome until you try a gluten-free diet.

#1) A gluten-free diet is FREE

#2 There are no side effects to a gluten-free diet

#3) A gluten-free diet doesn't react with any other meds you might be taking

#4) A gluten-free diet will most likely eliminate the cause of your RLS.

Requip does not eliminate the cause of RLS--it masks symptoms.

At any rate, welcome aboard! There are a ton of people here who are more knowledgeable than most doctors about gluten and the many, many problems it can cause (including RLS). However, I think it's great that your doctor is actually testing you for celiac--maybe you have one of the (few) good ones! :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I would bet that gluten intolerance/celiac disease is causing your restless legs syndrome.

Has your bloodwork come back yet? If it is positive, an endoscopy might be unnecessary, as positive bloodwork is enough for a diagnosis. For that matter, so is dietary rsponse! If you want an endoscopy, though, you need to stay on gluten until that is done (and I wouldn't skip the colonoscopy if you are over 50).

I would not start any meds for restless legs syndrome until you try a gluten-free diet.

#1) A gluten-free diet is FREE

#2 There are no side effects to a gluten-free diet

#3) A gluten-free diet doesn't react with any other meds you might be taking

#4) A gluten-free diet will most likely eliminate the cause of your RLS.

Requip does not eliminate the cause of RLS--it masks symptoms.

At any rate, welcome aboard! There are a ton of people here who are more knowledgeable than most doctors about gluten and the many, many problems it can cause (including RLS). However, I think it's great that your doctor is actually testing you for celiac--maybe you have one of the (few) good ones! :)

This poster took the words right out of my mouth so to speak. Celiac can cause a surprising number of neuro issues, restless legs being one of them. Instead of the meds right now perhaps you could get some sublingual B12 (gluten free of course), that may help much more than the drugs and won't cause any side effects. Then when you are done with all the testing you CHOOSE to do get yourself on the diet and I think you may find more relief than any pill could ever give. RLS is a 'new' diagnosis that IMHO is driven by the finding of a new drug that the pharmacompanies want to push, it is another symptom reliever to keep them getting money and does nothing to get to the root of the cause of the problem. It is much better to get rid of the cause if possible rather than just medicate the symptoms until further nerve damage is done and you lose reflexes and control over other bodily functions. There are some of us here that have had our nerve issues medicated for years just to watch our bodies nervous system continue to shut down leaving us with difficulty with walking or bowel and bladder control. Once you get to that point it is very hard to get back.

Archived