Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sweetfudge

Looking For The Best Soup Recipes Out There

Don't know if anyone reads good housekeeping, but they've got this section (or you can find it on their website) about their "Amazing Soup Diet". I was going to try it, and they list several recipes, but I wanted to know if anyone had other recipes I could tweak to make low-cal/fat. The ones they have are minestrone, mexican chicken, greek fish, southwest chili, thai shrimp, goulash, and red bean and rice. One of my concerns is the recipes w/ beans. I love beans, but I think I may be intolerant to them. Or I just have a sensitive stomach when I eat them. Any good recipes w/out beans? Thanks!

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Don't know if anyone reads good housekeeping, but they've got this section (or you can find it on their website) about their "Amazing Soup Diet". I was going to try it, and they list several recipes, but I wanted to know if anyone had other recipes I could tweak to make low-cal/fat. The ones they have are minestrone, mexican chicken, greek fish, southwest chili, thai shrimp, goulash, and red bean and rice. One of my concerns is the recipes w/ beans. I love beans, but I think I may be intolerant to them. Or I just have a sensitive stomach when I eat them. Any good recipes w/out beans? Thanks!

Hi 'Sweetfudge',

Here are a few links to soup recipes that I posted on the Irish Coeliac Site.

Taco Soup (contains kidney beans)

Cream of Tomato Soup

Beef Vegetable Soup

Broccoli and Cheese Soup

Chicken and Rice Soup

Quick Chilli Soup (contains kidney beans)

Hope this is of some help.

Best Regards,

David

Chronically Ill and lost 56lbs in 3 Months Prior to Diagnosis.

Diagnosed in Nov 2005 after Biopsy and Blood Tests

Cannot tolerate Codex Wheat Starch.

Self Taught Baker.

Bake everything from scratch using naturally gluten-free ingredients.

Here's a turkey meatball soup I posted a while back. If you are concerned about the strong flavor of turkey, buy the groud whitemeat. It's very mild. Check the packages carefully though because alot of places sell the ground darkmeat. Since you are cooking for one or two, I recommend using only 1/2 the recipie of meatballs. It makes alot. And add only the amount of spinach you'll eat at that meal. Then next time you warm up the soup add fresh leaves again.

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/lofiversion...php/t31885.html

The other favorite is a cheesey ham potato soup. It's not exactly low cal. I'd be happy to post it. Let me know.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Here's a turkey meatball soup I posted a while back. If you are concerned about the strong flavor of turkey, buy the groud whitemeat. It's very mild. Check the packages carefully though because alot of places sell the ground darkmeat. Since you are cooking for one or two, I recommend using only 1/2 the recipie of meatballs. It makes alot. And add only the amount of spinach you'll eat at that meal. Then next time you warm up the soup add fresh leaves again.

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/lofiversion...php/t31885.html

The other favorite is a cheesey ham potato soup. It's not exactly low cal. I'd be happy to post it. Let me know.

cheesy ham soup oh yum that sounds so good could you post or pm this for me? Thank You BARB :D

OK here it is. It comes together very quickly for an easy supper. I always use 2% milk.

Cheddar Chowder

2c. water

2c. diced potatoes

1/2c. diced carrots

1/2 c. diced celery

1/4 c. chopped onion

1 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

White sauce:

1/4 c. butter

1/4 c. flour

2 c. milk

2 c. chedder cheese, grated

1 c. cubed ham

Combine the first group of ingredients in a large saucepan. Boil 10-12 min. Meanwhile in a small saucepan, make a whitesauce by melting the butter. Add flour and stir 'till smooth. Slowly add milk; cook 'till thickened. Add grated cheese; stir'till melted. Add whitesauce and cubed ham to vegetables that have not been drained. Heat through.

Variation: Omit carrots, use 1/2 of the cheese or a milder white cheese, add corn, chopped red pepper a dash of cayenne, and a little more salt( because of less cheese)

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

OK here it is. It comes together very quickly for an easy supper. I always use 2% milk.

Cheddar Chowder

2c. water

2c. diced potatoes

1/2c. diced carrots

1/2 c. diced celery

1/4 c. chopped onion

1 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

White sauce:

1/4 c. butter

1/4 c. flour

2 c. milk

2 c. chedder cheese, grated

1 c. cubed ham

Combine the first group of ingredients in a large saucepan. Boil 10-12 min. Meanwhile in a small saucepan, make a whitesauce by melting the butter. Add flour and stir 'till smooth. Slowly add milk; cook 'till thickened. Add grated cheese; stir'till melted. Add whitesauce and cubed ham to vegetables that have not been drained. Heat through.

Variation: Omit carrots, use 1/2 of the cheese or a milder white cheese, add corn, chopped red pepper a dash of cayenne, and a little more salt( because of less cheese)

Thank you Thats what for dinner tonite. :)