This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Baby Boy Have Dh?

mama2two

mama2two Enthusiast

OK my daughter is on a gluten free diet as per her pedi, blood work was negative, we are waiting on enterolab results and my son has been mostly gluten free, well lately my mom is staying with us and she is non-compliant with everything and she things my kids are deprived because they are gluten free, which, my son does get gluten when my daughter is at school, well he was sick lately with fever, something viral I think and so my mom fed him little debbies cakes and wheat bread, also my daughter had some. my son wasot placed on a gluten-free diet he just is because i try not to bring gluten in the house. any way getting to the point, he has some sort of skin condition on his back, at first it was just at the top by his shoulders, now it is all over his back and his belly. it is not really like a rash, more just slightly raised areas that are sometimes a little red. he is complaining that his back hurts and it itches him, i know they say dh burns, but he is two, so he would not describe something as burning. i saw a picture of DH on the net and to me it looked like my sons back just not as bad yet. i mentioned this to the doc, but she has noy seen DH and she thinks it is the beginning of eczema, i have eczema very bad on my hands, she suggested i grease him up with acquaphore and 1% hydrocortizone for a week. also she suggested i give benadrly at night, since he wakes up all night fussing. he also c/o his feet hurting, but i see nothing on his feet. anyone ever see or hear of anything like this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Could it be hives? I get hives from gluten (and other things I am intolerant to). Anyway, all kinds of hives, eczema, dermatitis etc. are caused by intolerances. Meaning that he is reacting to food. And very likely you are as well.

Dairy and soy are also suspects in skin conditions. My oldest granddaughter was covered from the top of her head to her toes in horrible, scaly eczema from the time she was a few months old, until my daughter took her off dairy when she was three. Within weeks her skin cleared up to be soft and beautiful.

Her twin brother and sister on the other hand had awful eczema from nightshade vegetables! Now that they are all gluten-free as well, the whole family stopped having skin problems.

You need to make it very clear to your mom that those are YOUR kids, and they will eat what you decide they eat, or she will have to move out. Seriously, your kid's health is at stake, and you can't have her make them sick.

mama2two Enthusiast
Could it be hives? I get hives from gluten (and other things I am intolerant to). Anyway, all kinds of hives, eczema, dermatitis etc. are caused by intolerances. Meaning that he is reacting to food. And very likely you are as well.

Dairy and soy are also suspects in skin conditions. My oldest granddaughter was covered from the top of her head to her toes in horrible, scaly eczema from the time she was a few months old, until my daughter took her off dairy when she was three. Within weeks her skin cleared up to be soft and beautiful.

Her twin brother and sister on the other hand had awful eczema from nightshade vegetables! Now that they are all gluten-free as well, the whole family stopped having skin problems.

You need to make it very clear to your mom that those are YOUR kids, and they will eat what you decide they eat, or she will have to move out. Seriously, your kid's health is at stake, and you can't have her make them sick.

I know, I was so angry yesterday, and frustrated because both of my kids have been sick lately, that I told my mom and my husband that if someone brings gluten in my house I am going to grab it out of thsir hands and stomp on it like a crazy person and then throw it in the trash can, I said that ought to make them think twice about bringing it into the house again. I get so aggravated when someone offes my kids gluten products and I know some people just don't know, and I am nice about it and do some explaining, but it still frustrates me sometimes. I saw Jenny Mccarthy on tv the other morning talking about how her son's autism is better since he is gluten free, I was glad to see gluten getting some media attn. I am anxious to see my daughters enterolab results b/c I think once we have a paper saying that she can't have gluten it may help all of us to know that she has to follow this diet, and I am at my wits end with my mom because I have explained over and over to her about why my daughter has to follow diet and what can happen if she has celiac and does not follow. I hate to tell her that she has to move out, because my dad was threatening her life, if only further complicates the whole situation. What is the deal with nightshades, because we do eat those, what is the connection with gluten, now I'm wondering if we should cut out those. Also when my mom is around she loves to make my kids homemade french fries, so my son has had plenty of those lately. I feel like our diet is so restricted I hate to cut anything else, but If it would help our skin conditions, I would do it.

kbtoyssni Contributor

Some people also have problems with nightshades - it seems like the most common symptoms are joint pain. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that your children have problems with nightshades until they are 100% gluten-free. If they still have problems I'd try eliminating dairy and soy before I'd try nightshades just because dairy and soy intolerances are much more common than nightshades.

Ursa Major Collaborator

The nightshade connection with gluten is, that gluten is a lectin (a kind of protein), and nightshades are lectin foods as well. I don't tolerate any lectins at all (meaning, I can't have dairy, eggs, legumes, any grains, nightshades).

If your son has had tons of French fries lately, that could be a problem. But it also could just be gluten, since obviously your mother has given it to him. I agree to really eliminate gluten, dairy and soy first, before you restrict your diet even further by eliminating nightshades.

Archived