Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I will be able to call tomorrow, but I usually take them at night. Does anyone know about Seasonale? I take the generic (quasense). I haven't felt better yet and I don't know what to do. If I don't hear back I guess I will skip it tonight.

I am taking it to help with cramping, so I really don't want to go off it.....

10-06 Diagnosed Urinary Tract Infection (Allergic to Cipro, Bactrim, Macrobid, Doxycycline, Monocycline, Penicillin) - This UTI is still present with no symptoms.

10-06 Diagnosed "Acid Reflux" (Nexium didn't work)

12-06 Endoscopy diagnosed Gastritis (Negative Bioposy)

12-06 Negative bloodwork for Celiac Disease, Diagnosed "Gastroparesis" - Started Zelnorm

1-07 Diagnosed "IBS-C" - Still taking Zelnorm

3-07 HIDA scan to check gallbladder which was fully functional.

3-07 Zelnorm taken off market, started Domperidone

4-21-07 Emergency Appendectomy (FUUUNN!)

7-24-07 Enterolab results came back positive

Gluten Free since that night....

...Still not feeling great.

"Don't expect constant success, but strive for constant growth."

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Called the manufacturers of Quasense....

They can not guarantee that it is gluten-free because they are not a gluten free company and don't test for gluten.

10-06 Diagnosed Urinary Tract Infection (Allergic to Cipro, Bactrim, Macrobid, Doxycycline, Monocycline, Penicillin) - This UTI is still present with no symptoms.

12-06 Negative bloodwork for Celiac Disease, Diagnosed "Gastroparesis" - Started Zelnorm

I called about Jolessa the other generic for Seasonale and it IS gluten-free.

Now I just need to call the pharmacy and figure this out!

Many companys that I have called "do not add gluten ingrediences"; and therefore, they "do not test and do not guarantee."

This often is a CYA statement and your own personal judgement needs to apply in taking/consuming or not. I normally would consume.

Call them back and ask if it contains any gluten ingrediences, they owe you that at the least.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

The Quasense representative did say there were "no starches" in it, but could not guarantee no gluten. I'm just going to switch to the Gluten Free generic, even though my insurance wont cover it until December since I just bought the pack a couple weeks ago...

The Quasense representative did say there were "no starches" in it, but could not guarantee no gluten. I'm just going to switch to the Gluten Free generic, even though my insurance wont cover it until December since I just bought the pack a couple weeks ago...

I'm sorry you are dealing with this! I do know that Mircette, LoEstrin Fe 24 and Yasmin and Yaz are gluten free, if that helps you! Yaz is also soy free, and casein free too; and I love it!

Katie

Gluten free since July 2005

Lactose Free since 1994

Soy free since May 2007

Dairy free since September 2007

Hypothyroid & Hashimoto

In the event that you are taking a gluten-free pill but still feeling yucky (bloated, digestion problems etc), I was told by my doctor (while suffering the same even on a declared gluten-free pill!) that many contraceptives cause these kinds of problems, above all in people with a myriad of digestive issues. Even the informative paper in my pack speaks of not using it in cases of biliary problems.

It might be the hormones in the pill itself, not necessarily the gluten.

Hope you feel better!

amelia

I will be able to call tomorrow, but I usually take them at night. Does anyone know about Seasonale? I take the generic (quasense). I haven't felt better yet and I don't know what to do. If I don't hear back I guess I will skip it tonight.

Hi. I don't have health insurance or a doctor and I feel so lost with this disease. I have to take Quasense too for pain and migraines/cysts and I am never able to get a straight answer from manufacturer or pharmacist if there is Gluten. You would think that would be illegal and can be sued for such negligence and knowledge of their product. Were you able to find out if it was okay or not? Also do you know if all "modified food starch" contains Gluten? Thankyou so much for any information about our pills I greatly appreciate it!

Modified food starch is not always gluten. In fact, it is usually corn. In foods in the US, if it is wheat it must say so, but this rule does not apply to drugs.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

I just started Yaz a couple of weeks ago for severe cramping and heavy cycle (I'm 46 and not much chance of getting pg). I called Bayer and they told me they don't put gluten in their product, but they can't vouch for the ingredients they use that come from "other" sources. I have been taking it and I haven't had any problems so far...

I suspect that most companies can't vouch for the "other" ingredients they put in their meds. and they just don't say so.

Cindy

Gluten Free since November 2006

Lactose Intolerant since 1980

100% Lactose Free since May 2006

Caffeine Free since August 2007

Hashimoto's Disease

I have been on numerous BCPs over tthe past 9 months for endometriosis,and all were gluten-free. I was on: Yaz, Seasonique, LoEstrin24, and now Portia (The previous ones did not control my cycle)

All of the above are gluten-free, and seasonique is a seasonale generic

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

i am on jolessa and love it! I highly recommend it for you...especially if you have a lot of menstral pain. Your going to freak out not getting a period for the first couple months but I promise you get used to it and its a total blessing!!!

Good luck

-Staci

Thank you! I was looking to question if Jolessa the generic for Seasonale was gluten free because I have been on it for the past year and love it! and the doctor told me to question if it was gluten free. THanks -Christina

I just started Yaz a couple of weeks ago for severe cramping and heavy cycle (I'm 46 and not much chance of getting pg). I called Bayer and they told me they don't put gluten in their product, but they can't vouch for the ingredients they use that come from "other" sources. I have been taking it and I haven't had any problems so far...

I suspect that most companies can't vouch for the "other" ingredients they put in their meds. and they just don't say so.

I love Yaz. I have been on it for about 10 months now and it has made a huge difference in my monthly agony.

Amy

1989: I am diagnosed with IBS.

3/08: 8-year-old son diagnosed with Celiac (blood test and biopsy) and allergies to corn, egg whites, soy, peanuts, walnuts, wheat, and clam.

6/08: My Celiac test is negative.

7/08: I go completely gluten free despite negative test and NO MORE IBS SYMPTOMS!!

7/09: My Enterolab gluten sensitivity gene testing results indicate I have one Celiac gene and one gluten sensitivity gene.

8/09: I am diagnosed with Celiac based on gene testing results and positive response to diet.