Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoriG

Enterolab

Hi-

Just got my results and am a bit confused and just want someone to give me laymen terms please in a nutshell. I've been gluten-free 2 months now and DF 2 weeks.

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 15 (normal less than 10)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 18 (normal less than 10)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 771 (normal less than 300)

Fecal anti-casien IgA antibody 11 (normal less than 10)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0501

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5)

OK- I think I for sure have celiac's right? And I'm allergic to cow's milk right? Or just lactose intolerant? Can I have sheep/goat's milk? I don't really get the high fat score.

Thanks for the help and interpretation!

Years of symptoms: depression, chronic fatigue, insomnia, irritability, constipation

Hashimoto's/Hypothyroid 2001

Had to go into alternative medicine to get answers

Positive enterolab results 10/07

Gluten free 8/07

Dairy free 10/07

Adrenal fatigue

Still not all that well - looking at other foods intolerances

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm sure someone else will pop in to help, but https://www.enterolab.com/StaticPages/Faq_R...erpretation.htm has some of the answers as interpreted by the owner of the lab.

But, wanted to add: They cannot diagnose Celiac. Only a potential gluten sensitivity. Doesn't mean you don't have Celiac, but they can't diagnose it.

Casein refers to the milk protein, not just lactose.

Join eNewsletter

You have a high malabsorption score, indicating fairly severe villi damage. It is true, they can't diagnose celiac disease (as at this point, you can only say it is celiac disease if you have had a biopsy, which is silly), but with having one of the main celiac disease genes, the positive scores, and the high malabsorption score, it is very likely you have celiac disease.

And you are intolerant to casein, meaning all dairy.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join eNewsletter

Hi Lori!

Just to ditto happygirl.....enterolab can't diagnose celiac, just a sensitivity to gluten, like the other food intolerances they test for.

You do have a celiac gene so if you have a sensitivity it would be best to go gluten free, even if it hasn't progressed to celiac yet.

My whole family (except my youngest) was tested through enterolab as well as having ELISA IgG testing done. We've recently had something called ASYRA testing done.....of all of them I've found the ASYRA to be the most comprehensive since it works on the frequencies of items and how the body responds to it. They also test food compounds, not just the foods. My daughter has 8 food compounds she's reactive too and has the most food intolerances of the family.

Going dairy free may just be a short term thing for you. All you can do is cut it out for 6-12 months and then reintroduce it if you'd like and see if you have any reactions. For my family, I don't remember any of us testing positive through enterolab for dairy, but we hadn't had any for quite awhile before that as we had been vegan for 3 years. We started some dairy after that. For me it affects my sinuses the most. We all have problems with dairy according to ASRYA testing. My husband and I came up positive on ELISA testing for dairy as well.

Your fecal fat score is higher. My oldest son tested around 600. He still had a lot of digestive issues even after going gluten free. We haven't run another fecal fat panel but he does have problems with metals as well as candida. Don't remember if dysbiosis came up with him or not. It did for two of the family.

Fecal fat can be elevated due to celiac, but if things don't improve you'll need to dig for another underlying cause.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

Join eNewsletter

Just an agreement with much of what has been said. High fecal fat score is a malabsorption index, but the underlying cause is not shown by the test. Gluten sensitivity or celiac is suggested by your results, but not confirmed as a diagnosis such as you would receive with a positive biopsy.

However, there are other problems that lead to gluten sensitivity and gut issues that could explain these results. So I agree with Andrea, if you don't get better or fully better after going gluten-free, then you may need to look further.

Also I am not sure about the elevated malabsorption score at Enterolab=villi damage. However, it is definitely suggestive of that.

4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

Join eNewsletter

Thanks much for everyone's input! It helps to hear it in laymen's terms.

Years of symptoms: depression, chronic fatigue, insomnia, irritability, constipation

Hashimoto's/Hypothyroid 2001

Had to go into alternative medicine to get answers

Positive enterolab results 10/07

Gluten free 8/07

Dairy free 10/07

Adrenal fatigue

Still not all that well - looking at other foods intolerances

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter