• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Aj63

Celiacs In Thailand

Rate this topic

Hi there,

I was just diagnosed on Wednesday. I have been feeling horrible for about 1-year, since the birth of my second daughter and the last 3 months have been horrible. I am ok with my diagnosis, at least I can manage it and now evertime I look at my little girls I am not wondering if I am dying.

It may sound silly, but my biggest concern is our Christmas trip to Thailand. I have been reading posts about the airlines and plan to go online and try to order a Gluten-Free menu. Other then that though, I am pretty much freaking out about the food. We are going to be all over the country for three weeks. I don't have much experiance with Thai food. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

BTW: Love this forum. Went to the store yesterday and purchased some cook books and picked up a few things at the health food store. What a shocker. Before I had the entire store at my disposal now, besides the produce and meat section, it looks like I am pretty much stuck to a quarter of one side of an isle. EEK. :blink:

AJ

I've never been to Thailand, but I've seriously considered going several times, and never felt that food would be too much of an issue. I believe their primary grain is rice rather than wheat (I'm pretty sure even Thai soy sauce is wheat-free).

You might want to bring some dining cards with you so you can communicate your need to be gluten-free if necessary. Here's the first one I found in a quick google search:

http://www.celiactravel.com/gluten-free-cards/36-thai.html

Hi Mango04,

Gosh, thanks for the cards. I was literally about to buy some for $50.00. I owe you one!!!

Angela

Hi,

I have been to Thailand before and found it really easy to eat almost anywhere. The best places where the little kiosk out on the streets where you can see the fresh foods. Avoid resort and hotel restaurants where they try to westernise the meals and add wheat products.

Rice is the staple and eating where the locals eat is the key.

Have fun.

Sydney73 :D

hello everybody! lm trying to find a thai restaurant card but l cant..has anyone got one to share? thanks in advance, lm leaving in 2 weeks and this is my email address sildalsanto@yahoo.com

Thank you so much.

S.

Hi,

I have been to Thailand before and found it really easy to eat almost anywhere. The best places where the little kiosk out on the streets where you can see the fresh foods. Avoid resort and hotel restaurants where they try to westernise the meals and add wheat products.

Rice is the staple and eating where the locals eat is the key.

Have fun.

Sydney73 :D

hello everybody! lm trying to find a thai restaurant card but l cant..has anyone got one to share? thanks in advance, lm leaving in 2 weeks and this is my email address sildalsanto@yahoo.com

Thank you so much.

S.

I posted a link to one - a few posts above...

Thailand is super easy- one of the easiest countries for celiac. You really only need to be careful of two things:

First, Chinese influence (more in the north) means soy sauce. Otherwise, Thai food only uses fish sauce, and the menu will tell you whether they use rice noodles or Chinese style wheat noodles. American Thai restaurants are generally bad about using soy sauce instead.

Second, in some of the tourist restaurants they will do the breaded-fried thing on a few stir-fry items. It's often just labeled "fried" or something basic. All you have to do is make sure to ask. Tons of people speak English in Bangkok and Phuket. I don't know about other places. If they don't, most places have pictures of everything. You can see if that's an issue or not.

Otherwise, no issues. Wheat just doesn't figure into the Thai diet. Dairy doesn't either. The gluten-free meals on planes can be pretty good, but I always come prepared. On the way back you should be able to find a lot to eat in the Bangkok airport.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• May 29, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • June 01, 2019 Until June 02, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com 

• July 07, 2019 Until August 03, 2019
      For more information, visit www.kefss.com or call (407) 255-6550. info@kefss.com 

KEF USA Summer Camps Announces the New KEF Gluten-Free Camp in Orlando, Florida for Youths with Celiac Disease.

[Orlando, FL February 6, 2019]-KEF USA is excited to announce that we will offer a new 100% gluten-free camp program to give kids and teens with Celiac Disease a safe, exciting and healthy summer. KEF USA programs offer fun and unique experiences that can only be found in Orlando, Florida. Campers explore the theme parks and local attractions, make new friends, discover new interests and create memories that last a lifetime.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    JHR

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Forum Discussions

Hi Lfortson, I assume you are on the gluten-free diet?  So no wheat, rye or barley?  That's good, but there are about 10% of celiacs who react to oats also.  So you might want to get rid of oats for several months and see if things improve. Another somewhat common food issue is dairy.  Some people can't digest lactose (cow milk sugar), and some can't digest casein (cow milk protein).  So it might help to eliminate all dairy for several months also.  Almond milk is a possible substitute
    Thank you for all of the suggestions and information.  I will see a lot of the symptoms that I have that I didn't mention listed caused by lack of certain enzymes.  I have blood tests every 3 months. That is when I noticed my cholesterol, etc. not in check.  I eat too many carbohydrates because it causes less diarrhea than a lot of vegetables.  But in talking to 3 of my sisters they are already on medication for the problem.   One has Celiacs the other has Sjorgrens which I also have.  I'm conce
    For the fog and memory, it can be many things, the brain requires certain ratios and amounts of fat to function, it also requires b-vitamins the full spectrum among other amino acids, minerals and vitamins, nerve functions require magnesium, potassium and other things to fire right.  Celiac can hamper the ability to break down and absorb nutrients, digestive issues and enzymes can further complicate this, and trying to eat the right ratios of foods. I supplement with Liquid Health Mega B-compl
  • Blog Entries