Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

confusedks

gluten-free, Cf, Sf Icing

I have some gluten-free, sf, cf icing and I want to use it on cupcakes but it calls for margarine or butter to make the mix. I was wondering if anyone has ever substituted butter/margarine and used Spectrum shortening instead? Would it taste weird? If you have any other icing ideas, let me know! Thanks!

Kassandra

Dairy/Casein Free- March 2007

Gluten Free- May 2007

Soy Free- August 2007

Sugar Free- January 2008

Starch Free- January 2008

Egg Free (again!)- February 2008

Sulfur Free- May 2008

Dx'd Lyme Disease and co-infections- December 2007

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Kassandra,

I make my own icing--I use the buttercream frosting recipe on the Domino's Confectioner's Sugar Box. I always use Spectrum Shortening, but I add about 1/2 teaspoon of McCormicks Butter Flavor. For the liquid, I use either water or Vanilla Almond Milk. It is delicious.

I would definately use the Spectrum in your mix--it'll be fine :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

I have used the shortening and it DID taste odd to me. I think that Jerseyangel's idea of adding the butter flavor is a good one.

I have a new frosting these days - I make a ganache from the Enjoy Life chips and Pacific brand plain (or vanilla) rice milk. IT'S SO GOOD! I just pour the chips into a glass bowl, heat the rice milk (1/2 cup) on the stove, pour the hot milk over the chips, let sit for a minute or two and then stir 'til smooth. (Cool it before frosting with it.) It's gluten, dairy and soy free, but it tastes so decadent that it's hard to believe. I've served it to non-gluten-free guests and they liked it too.

Hope your cupcakes are yummy!

Rho

Join eNewsletter

Your frosting sounds good, but how many cups of chips do you use with the 1/2 cup milk? Afraid I'm one of those "by the recipe" cooks who needs measurements. Thanks!

I use the whole bag - 10 oz. I just looked at the bag and there are no cup equivalents given. I'd *guess* that it's about 2 cups.

Now I see that there's a recipe on back for "bark" made with the EJ choc chips and trail mix. Glad I looked at the bag!!! I'm getting holiday candy ideas.....

Rho

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter